Osric referred to "Dunryd Row" when talking to him about the quest he offers.

I didn't get a chance to ask "What's Dunryd Row?". I could ask that question much much later when it no longer matters ... since it's the messenger from Dunryd Row that approaches my party.

I ran around within Defiance Bay in search of Dunryd Row. Did I read anything not carefully enough?

The journal about Osric's quest tells: ... a document from Dunryd Row ... and a cipher from Dunryd Row ...

It made me scratch my head. What is it? A person? A place? Within the city or outside? Have I skipped anything important?

Where would I have heard/read about Dunryd Row for the first time to not be so clueless before the messenger talks to me upon leaving the Sanitarium?

That doesn't answer the questions:

How/where could I have learned about Dunryd Row before entering Hadret House?

I've followed the story's events when entering Defiance Bay ... obviously I entered the Expedition Hall before travelling to Brackenbury district. In the hall I meet Osric, who mentions Dunryd Row ... without explaining who/what that is.

Meanwhile Lady Webb has told me all the missing pieces ... also solved the riddle about Thaos: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/76429-who-is-this-thaos-character/

Some of that stuff is in the flavor/lore books you pick up here and there as loot, as well as through clicking every dialogue option possible with everyone you can possibly click on. But I'd agree that the game isn't always the clearest about certain naming associations.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

That's just natural for residents. Why should they need to explain it. It's like talking about Walmart. A bantu bushman will probably not know what that is, and people won't bother to explain. They'd be like... how can you not know what Walmart is?! I see no issue with this.

Sagani talking about Thaos is something entirely different.

That's just natural for residents. Why should they need to explain it. It's like talking about Walmart. A bantu bushman will probably not know what that is, and people won't bother to explain. They'd be like... how can you not know what Walmart is?! I see no issue with this.

As explained, the issue is it should be possible to ask about it. Either Osric or other "residents" or when reputation increases... in the same way as one can ask some people very early about the Dozens, there whereabouts and about what to expect in the several city districts. There's a hint that a Lady Webb and her spies are centered in Brackenbury district, but the person does not mention Dunryd Row or ciphers.

The first time I can ask "What's Dunryd Row?" is when the messenger from Dunryd Row intercepts my party. Before that, there is no connection between Dunryd Row and Hadret House.

From a role-playing perspective, not everyone breaks into every house to explore them from the inside.

• Like 1

Sagani talking about Thaos is something entirely different.

Seeing as how you can ask some really derpy questions that you'd probably never ask in real life ("Hi person I just met, please tell me what you do and who you are and all about the gods you serve and please tell me who you are again so I can try the the other response option") and many NPCs serve as exposition dumps, an introduction to Dunryd Row and how it's headquartered at Hadret House isn't that out of place.

Haha! Those derpy questions are personal tho. In real life you ask the same derpy questions, people may not be as open as the NPCs however.

My 1st playthrough looked like this: I pretty much did stuff in Copperlane (I took the family armor quest from Osrick, but didn't bother yet) -> Catacombs -> Temple of Woedica, Crucible Keep, then I went to the Sanatorium. After I was done with that I wanted to see what's in Hadret House. As I approached it, a messenger approached me. It was the invitation to Lady Webb. What a coincidence :D

• 3 months later...

Question still stands ...

I'm playing an Orlan Rogue and am interested in the first opportunity to learn about the connection between Hadret House and Dunryd Row.

When entering Defiance Bay, Copperlane district, Rowan tells about the districts. About Brackenbury he says: "Other than a lot of has-been nobility, you've got Hadret House, where Lady Webb and her spies operate, and Brackenbury Sanitarium, the main cesspit of animancy in the city."

Is there another one to give an early hint? ... Perhaps a book one can find somewhere?

Osric refers to "... in Dunryd Row" ... Sure, when I explore Defiance Bay further and enter Hadret House, I can find "Dunryd" people and references from Kurren about "Dunryd Row", but where is the earliest explanation?

I found Dunryd row through my character's strange fetish for walking into every building in the city and saying hello to the people inside.  Not the best RP solution, I know...

According to the wiki there is a book called Dunryd Row but it doesn't say where it is.  Maybe in the Hall of Revealed Mysteries, or the libraries in Crucible Keep or the Ducal Palace?

Edited by magritte

It's ... strange!

It could be that at Defiance Bay one is supposed to travel to the Brackenbury Sanitarium with haste ... for Aldoth ... and afterwards get to see the "Dunryd Row Messenger" with the option to ask him "What's Dunryd Row?".

Even visiting the Temple of Woedica and the Record Archives ... for Eder ... beforehand, would be okay. But exploring Copperlane district means one will meet Osric. He even mentions a cipher "in Dunryd Row", which could be a village reference ... as "in Dyrford". Or entering Hadret House in Brackenbury district house before exploring Copperlane? That would be strange ...

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the guy riling people up at the front of Defiance Bay and who acts as an informal tour guide for newbs mentioned Hadret House as the home of Dunryd Row in Brackenbury?

Side note: I wish that guy and that crowd would go away after you get further along in one of the Defiance Bay faction quests. It just bugs me that he's ALWAYS there in the same spot with the same crowd of people, riling them up in the same way. I mean, with the actors in Copperlane it makes sense - there's only the one ampitheater for them to perform in and all, but at least they're always doing different plays (and it's amusing to hear your party comment on the plays if you stick around to watch them). But that guy riling up the crowd in that exact spot feels a bit too artificial to me. We should be seeing him popping up in different parts of the district on different loads, riling up different crowds at least.

I thought the guy riling people up at the front of Defiance Bay and who acts as an informal tour guide for newbs mentioned Hadret House as the home of Dunryd Row in Brackenbury?

I believe as Merina says that he describes Hadret House as where Lady Webb and her spies operate.  I didn't connect that with Dunryd Row, so when I was told to find "Kurren in Dunryd Row", I figured it would be a house on a street called Dunryd Row.

• 2 months later...

No idea when the first association is. To be honest, I didn't figure it out for an embarrassingly long time. I didn't even find the Thieves' Hideout first playthrough, and there was no opportunity to ask derpy questions.

Which there should be the option to, by the way. Your character is a foreigner who has absolutely no reason to know what Dunryd Row is.

And even if that weren't the case, you should still be able to ask derpy questions that your character should know the answer to. A Watcher from Aedyr can still go up to Aloth and ask what the heck their own homeland is.

qKz5nVP.png

tumblr_ntb1sfqeVI1rxxgfbo3_400.png                                                         

I stream every Friday at 9pm EST: http://www.twitch.tv/ladaarehn  Currently streaming: KOTOR 2.

Pillars of Eternity homebrew tabletop thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84662-pillars-of-eternity-homebrew-wip/

That's strange topic here... I honestly believe that if you forcefully skip every dialogue, won't read any book and etc you'll still progress steadily in story and even sidequest. I don't think it's possible to get lost in this game, and never had an issue when I didn't know where to go and who to speak to.

Game world may seem rather huge, but honestly it's pretty small on closer inspection. If you're not on a speedrun you will most definitely explore every bit of map in time.

• 1 month later...

That's strange topic here... I honestly believe that if you forcefully skip every dialogue, won't read any book and etc you'll still progress steadily in story and even sidequest. I don't think it's possible to get lost in this game, and never had an issue when I didn't know where to go and who to speak to.

Game world may seem rather huge, but honestly it's pretty small on closer inspection. If you're not on a speedrun you will most definitely explore every bit of map in time.

It's strange what you've read into this topic ... Everything should become clear if you read the few posts from top to bottom. There are references to "Dunryd Row" without a chance to ask "What's Dunryd Row?". A bit later, you get exactly that chance to ask that question ... but then you've likely found out already by either entering every house or looting the Thieves' Hideout. Without the book, there is nobody that explains the connection between Hadret House, Lady Webb and Dunryd Row, ... but you get a task and a journal entry mentioning Dunryd Row.

Anyone in my party would have asked Osric: "What's Dunryd Row?" Even more so, if they haven't been to Defiance Bay before.

Holy necroposting, Batman!

But seriously. This topic is probably one that kind of deserves it.

qKz5nVP.png

tumblr_ntb1sfqeVI1rxxgfbo3_400.png                                                         

I stream every Friday at 9pm EST: http://www.twitch.tv/ladaarehn  Currently streaming: KOTOR 2.

Pillars of Eternity homebrew tabletop thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84662-pillars-of-eternity-homebrew-wip/