Wish there were an option to remove resting restrictions

The "problem" with unlimited resting is that you can simply rest after every fight. Per-day spells? No problem! Damage? No problem!

Forcing a limited number of rests forces the player to conserve resources, which makes gameplay more strategic. Sure, you can go back to town to rest by trudging back. That means you've been unable to finish the particular area on your limited resources; you're just not playing *well*.

I personally found this to be a flaw of the IE-era games, and enjoy the extra challenge of the limited number of rests available. 

Some people see unlimited resting as a good thing. I'm not one of them.

Edited by ibanix

How can anyone in their right mind try to ship a multimillion dollar product without making absolutely sure that they don't upset all their players with a degree in Medieval English Linguistics?

The "problem" with unlimited resting is that you can simply rest after every fight. Per-day spells? No problem! Damage? No problem!

Forcing a limited number of rests forces the player to conserve resources, which makes gameplay more strategic. Sure, you can go back to town to rest by trudging back. That means you've been unable to finish the particular area on your limited resources; you're just not playing *well*.

I personally found this to be a flaw of the IE-era games, and enjoy the extra challenge of the limited number of rests available. 

It also tells you what the designers thought was a suitable number of rests per dungeon that you should be aiming for, which is helpful.

I'm not super-opposed to allowing people to turn the restriction off, given that I wouldn't do this and I don't hugely care if people make their lives less fun. I would worry that they might then give feedback that the developers listened to without realizing that it was based on this style of play.

• Like 1

The resting mechanic in the game is one of the most horrible mechanics I have seen in an RPG, it needs to go.

• It screws up the flow of the game
  • This plus the annoying fetch quests add  tedious
  • It is UNFUN
  • Forced to go through loading screen hell..and loading screen hell...and loading screen hell.....
  • Makes no sense at all, you have a limited stash, but you have limited camping supplies?
  • Makes no sense at all 2, camping supplies break down after one use?  
  • Mages are screwed over the most compared to the other classes, you are forced to just play a gunslinger with your rod/wand instead of a mage class
  • The previous RPG's mages worked because you could rest anywhere/anytime
  • It is unnecessary punishment.

I remember when they mentioned resting in a kickstarter update way back and thinking "That sounds like a bad idea", after playing it in action, it is not only a bad idea, it is a horrible bad idea that should have never been implemented at all.  Forcing everybody to play a tedius style of play is not fun.  There should be a switch to turn this off for those who do not want to play this.   

Added a bit to the game having to watch how many spells I had left and how many camps I could set before having to head back.

A lot of the time I ran into extra camping supplies and made it a pretty far way without having to return to a vendor but there are areas where you will have to oblige, quit your mission and go stock up. It's a mechanic of the game that works and does add that slight layer of "difficulty", or tedium might be a better word. It's not like the enemies will respawn and you have to fight back through them. It only makes it so you can use up your spells and some actions, so it isn't quite as easy to plow through the game. The mage would be ridiculously overpowered if you could just spam your strongest attacks on everyone over and over. So now you have to manage them and who deserves the strongest.

And yes, camping supplies would be used up after one use; firewood, food, tinder, etc.

cavemandiary is right.

Theurgist, no offense but the way your complaining sounds like you'd be happier just button mashing mage attacks over and over? All I can imagine removing the mechanic would accomplish is cutting a few hours out of the game. It's already short enough.

I like the restriction a lot. It doesnt make sense "realism-wise" but resting anywhere, anytime , all the time also didn't in the old IE games. At least now there's a bit more of a challenge and tactical thought. I vote to NOT remove the limit, maybe find a way to make it more logical in game, somehow.

• Like 1

The resting mechanic in the game is one of the most horrible mechanics I have seen in an RPG, it needs to go.

• It is UNFUN
  • Forced to go through loading screen hell..and loading screen hell...and loading screen hell.....
  • Makes no sense at all, you have a limited stash, but you have limited camping supplies?
  • Mages are screwed over the most compared to the other classes, you are forced to just play a gunslinger with your rod/wand instead of a mage class

I remember when they mentioned resting in a kickstarter update way back and thinking "That sounds like a bad idea", after playing it in action, it is not only a bad idea, it is a horrible bad idea that should have never been implemented at all.  Forcing everybody to play a tedius style of play is not fun.  There should be a switch to turn this off for those who do not want to play this.   

Added a bit to the game having to watch how many spells I had left and how many camps I could set before having to head back.

A lot of the time I ran into extra camping supplies and made it a pretty far way without having to return to a vendor but there are areas where you will have to oblige, quit your mission and go stock up. It's a mechanic of the game that works and does add that slight layer of "difficulty", or tedium might be a better word. It's not like the enemies will respawn and you have to fight back through them. It only makes it so you can use up your spells and some actions, so it isn't quite as easy to plow through the game. The mage would be ridiculously overpowered if you could just spam your strongest attacks on everyone over and over. So now you have to manage them and who deserves the strongest.

And yes, camping supplies would be used up after one use; firewood, food, tinder, etc.

cavemandiary is right.

Theurgist, no offense but the way your complaining sounds like you'd be happier just button mashing mage attacks over and over? All I can imagine removing the mechanic would accomplish is cutting a few hours out of the game. It's already short enough.

I think you're right for sure. I agree with you. But I do think that we should at least be able to sleep for free at a camp that you killed all the enemies at already, and no enemies are nearby. I think that's practical. But they don't allow you to do that at least. Even in a cave, when you've killed everything - there is nothing to stop you from resting but the game restricting you in such an unrealistic sense. I mean... a game with some realism in it, I would expect them to at least let us sleep where no enemies are and a camp is already present.  But they just don't. That's just what I think.

That's a really great point. This same reasoning is why I demand that the devs include a button on the GUI which insta-kills all enemies on the screen. What's to complain about, it's a single player game. If you don't want to use it then just don't push the instakill button!! Logic people, use it. dancing.gif

I highly support you being able to check any option you like. Logic and all. ;)

Not to go Dr. Phill and all, but that's actually how willpower works in the real world. If there is nothing to tempt you, then there is no temptation to overcome. And thus some people prefer if the devs simply removed them from the game in order not to kill their own enjoyment***. Adding an option for unlimited rest, also unbalances the game extremly in favour of Wizard, Priest and Druid, making them overpowered relative to the other classes, so it's going to change the whole game experience to some extent.

Theres a difference between default and optional. If the button is there by default then perhaps those poor people cannot overcome their temptations. If its a checkbox and they still cannot overcome their temptations then that's their problem.

And Ive read that the Cipher and Chanter are OP in relation to the Wizard and Priest due to their virtually unlimited casting. Guess thats ok if you prefer those classes.

Wanting to feel that spells are available if you need them and wanting to spam your most powerful abilities are very different things.  Even without Big Brother limiting how many supplies we can carry, I'm guessing that cost and momentum would cause most of us to pace ourselves. Constantly breaking off what you're doing to make camp isn't fun, any more than trekking back to town for more supplies is fun.  Some folks may need to rest more often than others, but that's no reason to punish them by making the game tedious for them to play (unless it's really Obsidian's goal to achieve a smaller niche than that enjoyed by the IE games).  Money may be plentiful, but there's always something that would be more fun to spend it on than supplies. And not being able to loot supplies because you're already carrying as many as you're allowed--just a needless aggravation.

I'm fine with keeping the limits as an option for those who enjoy them, but don't inflict them on players who feel harassed by them, either because they're finding the game difficult or because they prefer self-pacing. 

The best way IMO is that any fights with more than X amount of HP/DR/Deflection on all the enemies combined (which will be some of them in hard mode or PotD) one of the enemies will drop camping supplies. That's when the per rest abilities are mostly used, in the difficult fights that usually have a lot of mobs or tougher mobs.

One idea would be to tie resting with the Survival skill. Each area will have a specific "resting difficulty" which will compare with the highest (or average) Survival Skill of the party and calculate how many times you can safely camp without being murdered in your sleep. If you reach the limit a message will pop out saying something in the lines of
"You feel that resting again in this area will be too dangerous as you have left too many traces already. You should move on."

• Like 2

Wanting to feel that spells are available if you need them and wanting to spam your most powerful abilities are very different things.  Even without Big Brother limiting how many supplies we can carry, I'm guessing that cost and momentum would cause most of us to pace ourselves. Constantly breaking off what you're doing to make camp isn't fun, any more than trekking back to town for more supplies is fun.  Some folks may need to rest more often than others, but that's no reason to punish them by making the game tedious for them to play (unless it's really Obsidian's goal to achieve a smaller niche than that enjoyed by the IE games).  Money may be plentiful, but there's always something that would be more fun to spend it on than supplies. And not being able to loot supplies because you're already carrying as many as you're allowed--just a needless aggravation.

I'm fine with keeping the limits as an option for those who enjoy them, but don't inflict them on players who feel harassed by them, either because they're finding the game difficult or because they prefer self-pacing. 

Resting limits (properly balanced) should be enforced on the harder difficulties and loosely enforced or unenforced on the lower difficulties. If a player is feeling harassed by the resting limit then they switch to a lower difficulty. 

The way I see it is there is little to no difference between the resting systems of old IE games and PoE. Resting in PoE is not limited in any meaningful way. 

• It is UNFUN

cavemandiary is right.

I think you're right for sure. I agree with you. But I do think that we should at least be able to sleep for free at a camp that you killed all the enemies at already, and no enemies are nearby. I think that's practical. But they don't allow you to do that at least. Even in a cave, when you've killed everything - there is nothing to stop you from resting but the game restricting you in such an unrealistic sense. I mean... a game with some realism in it, I would expect them to at least let us sleep where no enemies are and a camp is already present.  But they just don't. That's just what I think.

It would be a vast improvement (and it would make sense) that if you kill all the enemies on the map you are on (or dungeon level) you should get a free rest there.  

Edited by Badmojo
  • Like 1

Frankly, if you need to rest that much, you're doing something wrong. Most enemy groups don't require you to use up your on rest spells, your per encounter or simply auto attacks should do just fine. Don't blow all your level 4 Priest's spells on every bandit you encounter.

Furthermore, I strongly agree with the posters that state that this would demolish any and all difficulty into the game. Per rest abilities are generally too damn powerful to be used per encounter. And no, I wouldn't prefer the system from the IE games where you can be ambushed or randomly attacked when traveling. The current system is just fine.

Edited by eubatham
  • Like 1