Translation Errors / Missing Translations - English

AndreaColombo

Question

It feels kind of weird to refer to the English language as a "translation"—it really isn't—but I wanted to maintain the same format as all other language-related threads for the sake of convenience. Moderators are welcome to edit the thread's title if they see fit.

This thread is meant to highlight typos, grammar and syntax mistakes found in the English game text.

Fixing them should be pretty trivial for the devs, so hopefully each patch can bring textual improvements on top of bug fixes.

I'll be using screenshots to illustrates errors I find.

• When you first meet Durance, one of his lines of dialog has an extra "if" that should be removed: screenshot
  • When the Steward offers you the stronghold, there should be a space after the ellipsis highlighted: screenshot
  • When you first talk to Helig, he says the magic keeping him alive took "great deal of preparation"—missing an "a" (should be "a great deal of..."): screenshot
  • In the book about Dunryd Row there's a sentence where the subject is separated from its verb with a comma—needless to say that is never correct: screenshot

I'll post more as I run into them.

Anyone feel free to add any typos they find!

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Marshal Forwyn is called Forywn on these files:

Data/localized/en/text/conversations/15_yenwood/15_cv_chancellor.stringtable:382:       <DefaultText>"This is Marshal Forywn, Erl Bademar's military advisor. He will serve as a witness for this proceeding."</DefaultText>

Data/localized/en/text/conversations/15_yenwood/15_si_yenwood.stringtable:11: Marshal Forywn approaches. "You've arrived just in time. Lord Gathbin's forces are beginning to move - an attack is imminent."</DefaultText>

Data/localized/en/text/conversations/px2_00_stalwart_village/px2_00_si_yenwood.stringtable:11: Marshal Forywn approaches. "You've arrived just in time. Lord Gathbin's forces are beginning to move - an attack is imminent."</DefaultText>

Data/localized/en/text/conversations/px2_08_yenwood/px2_08_cv_chancellor.stringtable:417:       <DefaultText>"This is Marshal Forywn, Erl Bademar's military advisor. He will serve as a witness for this proceeding."</DefaultText>

I have not thought that i need to post in the english thread with my token compare business. But there is some obvious oddity.

Somehow a grappling hook is best operated by one person at a time. These texts make quite a mess out of the action.

/opt/gog/Pillars of Eternity/game/PillarsOfEternity_Data/data_expansion2/localized/en/text/conversations/px2_03_abbey/px2_03_si_skel_hand_swing.stringtable ID:      <ID>21</ID>

The 02 variant of this file has the same texts.

en: [specified 0] dangles the grapple cautiously, waiting to release the rope during a lull in the gusting winds.During a quiet moment, [slot 0] swings the grapple back and begins to rock the weight forward for a toss. Just before the release, a blast of air erupts from the crevasse. [slot 0] flinches, sending the grapple off course. It slams into the great skeletal ulna with a cracking sound that you can barely hear over the wind's howl.[slot 0] quickly spools the rope back up from the depths to recover the grapple.
de_patch: [specified 0] lässt den Haken vorsichtig baumeln und wartet auf den richtigen Augenblick, in dem die Winde kurz nachlassen.Als der Moment gekommen zu sein scheint, schwingt [specified 0] den Haken nach hinten und setzt zum Wurf an. Als [specified 0] gerade loslassen will, schießt ein Luftstoß aus der Schlucht. [specified 0] zuckt und wirft den Haken im falschen Winkel. Er knallt mit einem krachenden Geräusch gegen die riesige Elle des Skeletts … auch wenn der laut heulende Wind das Geräusch fast übertönt.[specified 0] zieht das Seil schnell aus der Tiefe, um den Haken zurückzuholen.
es: Con cuidado, [specified 0] cuelga el gancho esperando para soltar la cuerda en el momento en que el viento le dé una tregua.En un momento de sosiego, [specified 0] agita el gancho hacia atrás y empiezas a balancear el peso hacia delante para lanzarlo. Justo antes de soltar, una ráfaga de viento emerge de la grieta. [slot 0] se retira y el gancho se desvía de su curso. Golpea el gran cúbito del esqueleto con un crujido que apenas puedes oír por el silbido del viento.Rápidamente, [slot 0] enrolla la cuerda y la sube para recuperar el gancho.
it: [specified 0] fa oscillare prudentemente il rampino, aspettando di lanciare la corda al placarsi delle raffiche di vento.In un attimo di tranquillità, [specified 0] proietta l'arnese all'indietro per avere più slancio in vista del tiro. Ma un istante prima del lancio, una forte corrente d'aria erompe dal crepaccio. [specified 0] barcolla, lanciando il rampino nella direzione sbagliata: l'arnese sbatte nella colossale ulna scheletrica con un "crac" che si ode a malapena tra i turbini di vento.[specified 0] recupera velocemente la corda dalle profondità del crepaccio.
pl: [specified 0] ostrożnie rozkręca linę z kotwiczką, czekając na słabsze podmuchy wiatru, by wykonać rzut.Kiedy wicher słabnie, [slot 0] odchyla się i przenosi środek ciężkości swojego ciała, by rzucić kotwiczkę. Tuż przed rzutem, z otchłani bucha silny podmuch wiatru. [slot 0] traci równowagę i kotwiczka leci w niewłaściwym kierunku, uderzając o wielką kość łokciową z trzaskiem ledwie słyszalnym wśród ducia wichru.[slot 0] czym prędzej zwija linę z powrotem, by wyciągnąć kotwiczkę z przepaści.
ru: [specified 0] аккуратно размахивает крюком на веревке, дожидаясь затишья между порывами ветра, чтобы отпустить ее.Когда ветер на какое-то время успокаивается, [slot 0] забрасывает крюк назад и начинает переносить его вес вперед для броска. Как раз перед тем, как [slot 0] отпускает веревку, из ущелья налетает резкий порыв ветра. [slot 0] отшатывается, и крюк летит в сторону и с едва слышным сквозь вой ветра треском бьется об локоть огромного скелета.[slot 0] быстро вытягивает веревку обратно из ущелья, чтобы вернуть крюк.
fr: [specified 0] balance prudemment le grappin, attendant de libérer la corde lorsque les vents se calmeront.Profitant d'une accalmie, [specified 0] fait osciller le grappin, puis s'apprête à le lancer. Le moment venu, un courant d'air jaillit de la crevasse. [specified 0] sursaute et le grappin est dévié. Il atterrit violemment dans le grand cubitus squelettique mais vous entendez à peine le bruit en raison du vent hurlant.[slot 0] remonte précipitamment la corde des profondeurs afin de récupérer le grappin.

*edit* Short time memory … its just the full version of my earlier post http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/77064-translation-errors-missing-translations-english/page-7?do=findComment&comment=1789864

Edited by Xaratas

Couple more instances where parts of dialogue don't match the VO:

x57QtPw.jpg

The VO actually says: "A shame his soul..."

EmdIwQy.jpg

The VO actually says: "I had figured myself..."

pISvpHN.jpg

The VO actually says: "she pulled herself beneath the water..."

Zahua's ending slides also do not match up with the VO:

youtube.com/watch?v=HPPZsthGi1E

And besides the ending slide for Caed Nua being shoved aside for the next one way too soon (no chance to at least read all of it) it's also completely missing the VO (if there is one?):

youtube.com/watch?v=veM0A0Tvqhw

Also, this happened:

t37T7KM.jpg

That's right after beating Thaos and Woedica's Judge and Headsman and disintegrating Thaos' soul.

During or rather towards the end of the fight I managed to critically gib Thaos with my main character, so I guess it's showing the name plate where his body, if I hadn't punched him to pieces would be seen lying?

Also, this happened:

t37T7KM.jpg

That's right after beating Thaos and Woedica's Judge and Headsman and disintegrating Thaos' soul.

During or rather towards the end of the fight I managed to critically gib Thaos with my main character, so I guess it's showing the name plate where his body, if I hadn't punched him to pieces would be seen lying?

This could be an issue with Popups and fadeouts/transitions/scripted interactions, i have a similar image where the Popup was not removed after a transition.

Yeah, this certainly wasn't the only occasion I had this happening.

Although in this particular case I think it's because I gibbed Thaos and the bloody chunks in general only stay visible for a few seconds before getting faded out. The game obviously isn't prepared for this scenario and still displays Thaos' name plate at the exact spot where my main character punched him to (now invisible) pieces.

I asked Eric on Twitter and he said the game build is pretty much locked for everyone except programmers looking at major bugs, so no more typo-fixing unfortunately :(

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Well, that's a bummer.

Especially since (more or less) everything in this thread is documented well enough that it probably would just take a few man hours to work through it all. A couple things probably are a bit more complex, but the majority (simple typos or dialogue-voice over mismatches) should be relatively straight forward and easy to fix.

• Like 1

Serious bummer that they'd lock out such easy fixes. Hell, just put the localization docs on Github and have someone manage pull requests.

Anyway, reporting this in case they change their minds someday.

items.stringtable.1597: The book Development of a Crucible Knight, Part 2: Senior Ranks refers to both "Grand Crucilar" and "Lord Crucilar" in the last section. It looks as though "Lord Crucilar" is correct, making the section heading wrong.

Screenshot

• Like 1

I don't know if these will ever be patched, but I did notice a few dialogue errors in my latest playthrough:

Lumdala omits the word "from" in her dialogue about saving the people of Defiance Bay

B8eBDC6l.jpg

Delem's dialogue should use its instead of it's

qMlwrG4l.jpg

One of the possible responses to Nesta should be "foster goodwill and cooperation" instead of cooperate

YLTtYIrl.jpg