Translation Errors / Missing Translations - English

AndreaColombo

Question

It feels kind of weird to refer to the English language as a "translation"—it really isn't—but I wanted to maintain the same format as all other language-related threads for the sake of convenience. Moderators are welcome to edit the thread's title if they see fit.

This thread is meant to highlight typos, grammar and syntax mistakes found in the English game text.

Fixing them should be pretty trivial for the devs, so hopefully each patch can bring textual improvements on top of bug fixes.

I'll be using screenshots to illustrates errors I find.

• When you first meet Durance, one of his lines of dialog has an extra "if" that should be removed: screenshot
  • When the Steward offers you the stronghold, there should be a space after the ellipsis highlighted: screenshot
  • When you first talk to Helig, he says the magic keeping him alive took "great deal of preparation"—missing an "a" (should be "a great deal of..."): screenshot
  • In the book about Dunryd Row there's a sentence where the subject is separated from its verb with a comma—needless to say that is never correct: screenshot

I'll post more as I run into them.

Anyone feel free to add any typos they find!

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

^ Depends on the context. If it's in answer to a remark on her pregnancy, it makes sense.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Ok, thanks to my quest editor i could see that it makes sense to have 2 totally different texts. So i have to add the female text to the German translation.

*edit* and fix the totally wrong literally translation for the default text. What where they thinking? “It isn't mine” got “It doesn't belong to me.”

Edited by Xaratas

• The extra "as" should be removed. Screenshot

• Missing space before the second hyphen in the aside. Screenshot

"Enemies melee enemies" should be "melee enemies." Screenshot

Is the female text missing the last sentence?

/opt/gog/Pillars of Eternity/game/PillarsOfEternity_Data/data/localized/en/text/conversations/06_stronghold/06_cv_general_merchant.stringtable

<ID>1</ID>
      <DefaultText>"Greetings, m'lord. Fancy a new blade? Maybe an axe? I've plenty here to take the fancy of any man of action. Or perhaps some ingredients and spices for the road?" </DefaultText>
      <FemaleText>"Greetings, m'lady. Fancy a new blade? Maybe an axe? I've plenty here to take the fancy of any woman of action." </FemaleText>

• Pretty sure "Stamina" should be "Endurance" Screenshot
  • Subject being singular, the verb should be "feels" Screenshot
  • The correct name is "Krivi" without an "s" Screenshot

The screenshot link for the first one points to the third error, so I'm not sure what case of "Stamina" we're talking about.

Other than that, all the new stuff is in. Plus like 30-ish spelling and typo fixes (that I'm hoping no one ever notices).

Wasn't sure what you were referring to with using "I" as an object, Andrea, but if that's in dialogue I tend to let it slide because it's a grammar error that people commonly make when speaking casually.

• Like 1

Hi Eric,

apologies for the screenshot mix-up. The correct screenshot is this one ("Scroll of Restore Critical Stamina" should be "Scroll of Restore Critical Endurance")

As for cases of using "I" as an object, Durance and Grieving Mother are the bigger offenders. "It is between her and I" for example. Indeed it is a common error in speech and written text nowadays, much to my inner stickler's dismay. I understand your reasons for leaving it in.

Thanks a lot for taking your time to read this thread and fix typos in the game's text! I greatly appreciate it :)

There is a small inconsistency between the male and female text in data/localized/en/text/conversations/11_bs_glanfathan_gate_locals_01.stringtable

<Entry>
  <ID>9</ID>
  <DefaultText>"Don't mistake this estramor. He walks with sure stride."</DefaultText>
  <FemaleText>"Don't mistake this foreigner. She walks with sure stride."</FemaleText>
</Entry>

• Like 1

French localizations here.

French localization thread here.

data_expansion1/localized/en/text/quests/px1_00_stalwart_village/px1_00_mercenary.stringtable

<Entry>
      <ID>20002</ID>
      <DefaultText>Members of the Torn Bannermen did not appreciate my presence near their camp. I was forced to defend myself from their agression.</DefaultText>
      <FemaleText />
    </Entry>

"aggression" is misspelled (screenshot)

• Like 1

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Missing "a" in "to fall into a deep dark hole" - Screenshot

Edited by AndreaColombo

haigZGy.jpg

The last line doesn't match the voice over.

What Adaryc actually says is: "But I came for cannons" (excluding "here").

mRFAFJ0.jpg

The voice over also says "Stalwart sent delegates to discuss..." (excluding "these").

Edited by desel
  • Like 1

a6sSqrX.jpg

I think that's one "as" too much there in the 3rd line. Should be: "Steel flashes as the Eyeless shift and steer."

That's from the second or third slide of the vision you get after defeating the Eyeless Hammers at the Iron Flail Fort.

^ Fairly sure I've already reported that one; should be fixed in 3.02 ;)

^ Fairly sure I've already reported that one; should be fixed in 3.02 ;)

Cool, thanks for pointing that out.

Was this reported already?:

In the northwestern corner on the Iron Flail Fort map (at the "Gravesite" location) you run into a female villager (from Stalwart I assume) who's meeting with a Readceran soldier from the Iron Flail camp. When asked if she's consorting with the enemy she mentions the name of the Readceran soldier which is "Gamel".

Curiously enough, the name of the suspected murderer in the "Whispers in the Dark" quest is also "Gamel".

(Intended) coincidence or oversight?

ZkUsoZF.jpg

I did a search on this but it didn't bring up anything, so I guess this hasn't been reported yet?

On the Abbey of The Fallen Moon map you can do one of those scripted interactions (lower right corner of the map) that involves one of the party members or yourself attempting to throw a grappling hook at the giant skeletal hand.

No matter though who you choose to throw the hook (apart from yourself), the second paragraph of the following slide always describes how the player character attempts to throw the hook.

It asks "Who will cast the hook?" and presents you with a list of the party members including yourself.

If you chose, for example "Have Devil of Caroc cast the Grappling Hook" (because she's the one with the highest dexterity in my group), the following slide opens with

"Devil of Caroc dangles the grapple cautiously, waiting to release the rope during a lull in the gusting winds."

which is followed by

"During a quiet moment, (Your PCs name here) swings the grapple back and...",

completely ignoring that I chose Devil of Caroc to throw the hook beforehand.

Happens no matter which party member (other than the PC) is chosen.

^ Oh, jep, i see the error. In the text there are [slot 0] replacement tokens, instead of [specified 0].

File: data_expansion2/localized/en/text/conversations/px2_03_abbey/px2_03_si_skel_hand_swing.stringtable

Id: 20 and 21

@Obsidian Please fix it for all translations.

Oh, and while i am on at bogus tokens, here are more:

/data_expansion1/localized/en/text/conversations/08_wilderness/08_si_ice_fishing.stringtable

ID 14

/data/localized/de/text/conversations/02_defiance_bay_first_fires/02_cv_clyver_rimgund.stringtable

ID 113, watch out for the de in this path ;)

Edited by Xaratas
  • Like 1

• "noncommital" should be spelled with two t's. Screenshot

^ That qualifies as a bug, rather than a typo; however, I seem to remember its being reported back when PX2 was first released. Not sure whether 3.02 fixes it.

Not exactly a typo either, but the slides of the scripted interaction in the Halls of Silence where you have to arrange the 4 panels in the correct order do not properly describe the progress.

The slide where you're presented with the list of 4 panels still has it correct: "...into the first empty depression"

O6Dm3Xo.jpg

With the first panel locked in the first depression and down to 3 panels, it then still says "...into the first empty depression" which should be "...into the second empty depression"

ZbVChel.jpg

The following, inbetween slides have it wrong as well, "...into the first available opening" which should be "second (third, fourth resp. last) available opening" instead

lRWrdBJ.jpg

It's "the first empty depression" and "the first available opening" throughout the whole sequence.

Edited by desel
  • Like 1

The hyperlinks for the tooltips on "Abydon's Power" and "Abydon's Labor" are cut off after "Abydon":

lh1gAfb.jpg

mK8x2ZE.png

j6abFMg.png

Some inconsistency here with "priests of Abydon" mentioned in the first paragraph, while the second mentions only one ("Kana and the priest of Abydon"). In the third and last paragraph it's "priests of Abydon" again:

M1pTQDW.jpg

And another hyperlink-related issue ("end." triggers tooltip for "Endurance"):

evNbO5o.jpg   Rmkrzyn.jpg

This is taken from the leveling screen, by the way. Don't know if this is also occurring in the "regular" ability description, when brought up from the character sheet, for instance.