Translation Errors / Missing Translations - English

AndreaColombo

Question

It feels kind of weird to refer to the English language as a "translation"—it really isn't—but I wanted to maintain the same format as all other language-related threads for the sake of convenience. Moderators are welcome to edit the thread's title if they see fit.

This thread is meant to highlight typos, grammar and syntax mistakes found in the English game text.

Fixing them should be pretty trivial for the devs, so hopefully each patch can bring textual improvements on top of bug fixes.

I'll be using screenshots to illustrates errors I find.

• When you first meet Durance, one of his lines of dialog has an extra "if" that should be removed: screenshot
  • When the Steward offers you the stronghold, there should be a space after the ellipsis highlighted: screenshot
  • When you first talk to Helig, he says the magic keeping him alive took "great deal of preparation"—missing an "a" (should be "a great deal of..."): screenshot
  • In the book about Dunryd Row there's a sentence where the subject is separated from its verb with a comma—needless to say that is never correct: screenshot

I'll post more as I run into them.

Anyone feel free to add any typos they find!

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

• When talking to Thulgar, there's a sentence that ends in an ellipsis preceded by a space and followed by none; it should be the other way around (ellipsis-space, not space-ellpsis). Sceenshot.

• In the cyclopedia entry for "Ogre", the word "reliable" should be "reliably": screenshot

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

All the above are still outstanding.

Additional typos:

• When talking to The Master Below, there's a full stop followed by an ellipsis. In this case, the full stop and the ellipsis should not be separated by a space; rather, the space should come after the ellipsis (i.e. "The Black Meadow.... Perhaps [...]"). Screenshot.
  • When Edér comments on your findings regarding his brother's allegiance during the Saint's War, there is a mismatch between the VO and what is written (VO says "this one", writing reads "the one"). Screenshot
  • When you first encounter The Grieving Mother, there's an aside that should be between commas but the first comma is missing (i.e. the sentence should read "You can hear her thoughts, and she is glad to, at last, be seen.") Screenshot.
  • When talking with the Spirit of Od Nua, there's a sentence that has too many commas. Those underlined in the screenshot should be removed. Screenshot.
  • Tcharek appears to have issues with ellipsis as well. In the screenshot the follows, the first ellipsis is preceded by a space and followed by none when it should be the other way around (i.e. it should be "Vithrack... searching." and not "Vithrack ...searching."); the second has no space before or after, and should have one after (i.e. should be "We grew sick... with memory."). Screenshot.
  • One of the tips you get during loading screens speaks of "area effect" instead of "area of effect". Screenshot.

Would be nice if a dev could chime in to confirm whether these are going to be looked at/fixed. Reporting them is rather time-consuming so I'll save myself the time if nothing will come of it :)

Thats the problem with the devs. The german thread has 34 pages and not a single post from a dev. I am still hoping they shedule our changes for 1.0.5, but who knows.

The easiest way to keep the overview is a git like German and French have. I dont think any other one will come and puzzle all changes together. Look at the Spanish thread I am not expecting any dev to go through all +900 things manually.

To get started easyly: Make a copy of the en folder, edit language.xml in the copy, booth, Name and GuiString, use this ingame and fix all things found in the stringtable files in the copy.

That way the patcher from steam and gog still work.

To find the correct file I use grep on my linux, on windows i would use xsearch http://www.easexp.com/xsearch/ .

Thanks, Darren! :)

• Like 1

All these are fixed and will be in 1.05. Thanks for bringing those to our attention, everyone. We wrote way too many words.

At this level of quality, you guys are very welcome to keep writing as many words as you like! :)

Happy to report typos as I run into them, knowing they'll be taken care of.

Hello,

First - thank you Obsidian for creating pillars. Old school RPG fan here, who played BG1+2, ID1+2 etc when they were released.

I want to report a text inconsistency in an item that I've encountered so far (Orlan's Bramble Ring):

orlans_bramble_ring.jpg

The issue is that the text does not say "Of Intellect +1", but rather "Of Intellect 1" which is inconsistent compared to all other items that clearly have the + before the number.

• Like 1

It's not exactly a "translation error" but there are two items in the game with the name Orlan's Bramble Ring. The other one is called sigil_of_the_arcane in the game files, so I assume that's what its name is supposed to be. I posted about this a bit earlier, but not sure if it was noticed. I don't remember where I picked up the rings.

post-56074-0-52253900-1429815959_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It's not exactly a "translation error" but there are two items in the game with the name Orlan's Bramble Ring. The other one is called sigil_of_the_arcane in the game files, so I assume that's what its name is supposed to be. I posted about this a bit earlier, but not sure if it was noticed. I don't remember where I picked up the rings.

bramble.jpg

Oh, nice to know its in english also, so it looks like a missing id.

In my “personal” thread i have this too, second from bottom http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72938-various-ui-problems-sizes-of-elements-monster-info-in-screenshots/?do=findComment&comment=1669293

(shameless selfadvertising)

• Like 1

A few more in hope we're still in time for 1.5 ;)

• When you make your case at the duc's hearing at the end of Act II, one of your possible answers contains a comma splice. The comma underlined in the screenshot should be replaced with a semicolon. Screenshot
  • When Kana comments on the events that lead to Act III, he says "if you forgive me saying so", which is incorrect; the correct form would be "if you forgive my saying so". Screenshot (note that this line might be voiced—I didn't have my cans on when it occurred; if it is, it might be worth keeping it as is to avoid a mismatch between voiced and written text.)
  • Our fellow Marceno in Ondra's Gift appears to have a few ellipsis issues as well ;) As pointed out before, when an ellipsis is followed by a full stop, the two should go together and be followed by a space. Currently, there's a full stop followed by a space followed by an ellipsis. Screenshot (to clarify, "text. ...text" is what is currently there; "text.... text" is what should be there.)
  • In the following sentence spoken by Marceno, "good luck" is an adjective that refers to "charm" and precedes it, therefore it should be hyphenated (i.e. it should be "good-luck charm".) Screenshot
Edited by AndreaColombo

• When you agree to help Cwineth at the Celestial Sapling, she says she'll go first to see if she can't do something. That makes no sense; I guess she'll see whether she can, in fact, do something :)Screenshot

• When you pray to Hylea, Durance interjects and there's a full stop that should be a comma between "Oh" and what follows (i.e. it reads "Oh. to set these trees ablaze, Watcher..." but it should be "Oh, to set these trees ablaze, Watcher...".) Screenshot

Shida doesn't know how to spell "millennia" :) (hint: it's "millennia" with two L's, not one.) Screenshot

One of Shida's sentences doesn't end with a quotation mark, but it should. Screenshot

Edited by AndreaColombo

• When you first address LLensi, she says people have referred to her "a wise woman." I guess there's an "as" missing—should be "referred to me as a wise woman." Screenshot

• Simoc doesn't know how to spell the name of his tribe :) It's "Three-Tusk Stelgaer", not "Three-Tusk Stelgar". Screenshot

Edited by AndreaColombo

• When Delem asks you to retrieve the birds for him to eat in Twin Elms, there's a comma splice in his speech and one in your possible answer. Both commas underlined in the screenshot should be replaced with semi-colons. Screenshot

• When you pray Rymrgand after completing his quest, there's a missing "and" in one of the descriptions (i.e. it reads "The aurochs stops stands before you"; I guess it should be "The aurochs stops and stands before you".) Screenshot

Edited by AndreaColombo

New ones will be in 1.05 - thanks again.

A couple caveats for the morbidly curious:

- We actually allow comma splices and generally don't use semicolons - I believe that's for reading aesthetics, and has been in place for all Obsidian games.

- There's quite a bit of leeway in terms of spoken dialogue being grammatically incorrect, owing to the fact that people tend to speak idiosyncratically and imprecisely. So the Kana slip above, there, for example, is something we would tend to allow.

• Like 2

Hi Eric,

thanks for your reply!

I won't report any further comma splices I may run into, then. For slips like Kana's, however, that's a tougher call for me to make—as in, it would be hard for me to determine whether it is a genuine mistake or one put in place for realism 'cause people don't always speak grammatically. I guess the easiest/safest thing would be for me to keep reporting those, and for you to subsequently make the call on whether to leave them.

Though it's good to know about the leeway; if something doesn't change, I will know why and I won't keep reporting it as not fixed :)

Keep up the good work!

Another one, Durance, Caed Nua.

• When you reach Caed Nua, Durance says a line that ends with "... it reminds me of Woedica". But in text, it only says "... it reminds of Woedica".
Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

"In a way. This..." He shrugs. "This is more what's left behind when flame strikes."

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6343043/Durance.png

There should be no quotation mark after "strikes" (but I agree with your other point.) ;)

In the notification detailing the arrival of an Aedyran Noblewoman to the Stronghold, the text incorrectly refers to her as a 'he'.

"Aedyran Noblewoman has arrived, seeking employment. He was nearly set upon by brigands on the road, but your patrols intervened."

In the notification detailing the arrival of an Aedyran Noblewoman to the Stronghold, the text incorrectly refers to her as a 'he'.

"Aedyran Noblewoman has arrived, seeking employment. He was nearly set upon by brigands on the road, but your patrols intervened."

Let me guess - you play a male Charname?

IIRC, the problem with these messages is that they have a male and a female version (and the type of guest gets randomly put in), but these male/female versions of strings are printed according to Charname's gender.

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

• In the book about the Broken Stone War, everything's narrated in the past tense except for two sentences that are in present tense. Screenshot1 ; Screenshot2
  • When you talk to Urgeat for the second time (after Raederic's son is born), there's a mismatch between the VO and written text. I can't recall exactly what the VO says but I think it's "all Eothasians". Notwithstanding, I'm sure the devs can listen to the VO and amend accordingly :)Screenshot
  • A quotation mark is missing at the end of this sentence: Screenshot
  • Typo in the bell scripted interaction in the Temple of Eothas in Gilded Vale ("protusion" should be "protrusion"): Screenshot
  • When talking to Nonton, there's a sentence in which an ellipsis should be followed by a space but isn't: Screenshot
  • There's an extra "the" in the book titled The Great Western Stag: Screenshot

The following is not a typo per se, but a major lore inconsistency. When you get to Gilded Vale with a female character, you are asked whether you have ever conceived a Hollowborn child (Screenshot) even if your character is a Godlike. However, we know from the lore of Eora that Godlike cannot bear children, so the question makes no sense in the case of a Godlike protagonist.

• In the following loading-screen tip, there's a double hyphen replacing an em dash. Everywhere else in the game text, however, em dashes have been replaced by a single hyphen (hence my suggestion to remove on of the hyphens from this string). Screenshot
  • In this sentence spoken by Maerwald there should be a space after the ellipsis. Screenshot
  • In the following sentence spoken by Kana there's a mismatch between VO and written text. I think VO says something like, "there are secrets beneath the keep yet." but I suggest listening to it first, then amending the string accordingly. Screenshot.

As a side note for Eric, it looks like I've been wrong about periods followed by ellipses:

The Chicago Manual of Style suggests the use of an ellipsis for any omitted word, phrase, line, or paragraph from within but not at the end of a quoted passage. There are two commonly used methods of using ellipses: one uses three dots for any omission, while the second one makes a distinction between omissions within a sentence (using three dots: . . .) and omissions between sentences (using a period and a space followed by three dots: . ...).

(Emphasis mine; quote from Wikipedia.)

I hope you didn't fix those when I reported them! I won't report those anymore going forward.

Edited by AndreaColombo