Petition: Remove time limit for forum post edits

Daemonjax

47 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like time limits removed on editing your own forum posts?

• Yes
    • No

... immediately tracking changes. One of my pet peeves with this forum, actually.

This is somewhat another issue, though related.

It would indeed be nice if there was a grace period of a few minutes (5 or 10 would suffice) before that edit timestamp kicked in. Most of the time I edit it's within the first few minutes of posting and it's done to correct some grammar, I would wager this when and why most edits are ever done by most people.

Not a biggie, but a quality of life / forum cleanliness thing.

I wear edit timestamps with pride here.

edit:  Seriously.

edit 2: In reference to the post below mine, it seems like we have a pretty big window to edit.

Though I imagine it'd eat up storage would be nice to allow edits unrestricted but you can see each revision in full.

I've been to the future!

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1

Though I imagine it'd eat up storage would be nice to allow edits unrestricted but you can see each revision in full.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

... immediately tracking changes. One of my pet peeves with this forum, actually.

This is somewhat another issue, though related.

It would indeed be nice if there was a grace period of a few minutes (5 or 10 would suffice) before that edit timestamp kicked in. Most of the time I edit it's within the first few minutes of posting and it's done to correct some grammar, I would wager this when and why most edits are ever done by most people.

Not a biggie, but a quality of life / forum cleanliness thing.

I guess I read the OP according to my own proclivities.

That said, oh my god, that guy edited his post 30 seconds after submitting. He must have changed or corrected a word or a letter. Our forum must document this momentous occasion for all time, is just a little too rigid for my taste.

I asked Obsidian to change this a year or two ago, but they ignored my post. Anyhow, back to the topic at hand I suppose.

Edited by Marceror
  • Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

It is unfortunate that the forum software doesn't allow per-user rights limitations, so that strict measures need only be applied to violators, punitively.

Pretty sure it does. There are currently post count restrictions. You can also restrict by class. These are things administrators - not moderators - can do.  There is, I believe, one administrator on the Obs side.

Yeah, but edit time limit isn't one of those that you can edit on a per user or per user group basis, I am almost certainly sure (at least, without custom software / a plugin). Rights for post editing in general, however...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

There is a 'preview post' or 'more reply options' button below to click on to and preview your post before posting. It takes a second to click these buttons and to read your post as it would show in the thread. You can check for spelling mistakes and correct them if you find any. I suggest people who are having problems to take the time to use these buttons as you can click on them as many times as you want and it will show the updated version of any errors you have corrected.

This is a useful tool for when quoting others as the quote system is singlehandedly one of the worst quoting systems I've seen on any forum on the internet. The mastery of spelling, the preview option and the quote system is a valuable weapon in debates on this forum. You too can feel smug knowing your posts are the stuff of legend. One of the few posters on this forum able to multi-quote and spell correctly while watching others flail helplessly with their constant 'edited by' remarks being recorded by the forum software.

Yeah, the edit limit may be somewhat annoying- very occasionally, mostly it's who cares- but the quote system has some pretty significant and very annoying issues where it breaks quotes about half the time if you shorten them and is (was?) refusing to delete nested quotes properly. All topped off by the plain text editor not wrapping text lines any more meaning that if you use that you have to scroll half the way to India if you're writing something longer than a sentence and it not behaving consistently with those problems, sometimes it's all fine and other times it's not at all.

Mind you, I complain now but it's been like that for months and I haven't been bothered to actually write anything down before now, so the edit time people are certainly motivated.