Cooler than a limerick discussion

It's Friday. I think I'm pretty much getting over an annoying illness. And I'm taking my family out to a nice dinner.

I killed the Sky Dragon today. I took me 3 tries to do it without a total party wipeout, but still, I'm feeling all kinds of ****y.

Best yet, I've got my shiny new Pillars of Eternity t-shirt on, and when I get out there on the town, the world isn't going to know what hit them. That's right everyone -- nerdy gamer... dad guy is about to paint the town adra! I almost feel sorry for the hapless folks who're about to have their worlds rocked, and they don't even know it!

I'm just a pillar of awesome right about now.

• Like 2

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Um, the hidden word isn't a bad word. It's c-o-c-k-y. Strange the stuff that gets covered up.

c-o-c-k-y1

[kok-ee] /ˈkɒk i/
SpellSyllables
adjective, c-o-c-kier, c-o-c-kiest.
arrogant; pertly self-assertive; conceited:
He walked in with a c-o-c-ky air.

Moving on from the "****y" discussion, lucky you, OP. I just spent hours crawling through a lengthy dungeon, then came to the final room where there's suddenly several obscenely powerful spellcasters that keep healing themselves and killing my party faster than I can kill them or heal ourselves, no matter how many times I reload and give them better weapons, armor, scrolls to read, instructions to follow, etc. It's not the first time this has happened either (it seems to be a PoE specialty where the dungeons are fairly easy until you get to the final room, and then the difficulty SKYROCKETS), and it's really frustrating because I PUT THIS GAME ON "EASY" FOR A REASON!!!

Right now I'm not feeling too empowered or confident that I can take this world by storm. I just got my ass handed to me for the 10th time and am feeling REALLY STEAMED about this game.

"Not I, though. Not I," said the hanging dwarf.

Moving on from the "****y" discussion, lucky you, OP. I just spent hours crawling through a lengthy dungeon, then came to the final room where there's suddenly several obscenely powerful spellcasters that keep healing themselves and killing my party faster than I can kill them or heal ourselves, no matter how many times I reload and give them better weapons, armor, scrolls to read, instructions to follow, etc. It's not the first time this has happened either (it seems to be a PoE specialty where the dungeons are fairly easy until you get to the final room, and then the difficulty SKYROCKETS), and it's really frustrating because I PUT THIS GAME ON "EASY" FOR A REASON!!!

Right now I'm not feeling too empowered or confident that I can take this world by storm. I just got my ass handed to me for the 10th time and am feeling REALLY STEAMED about this game.

I'm not sure I've gotten to the battle you're talking about yet, so I may be premature in responding. But based on my experience in the game so far, plus many, many... many playthroughs of the Infinity Engine games, winning the tough boss battles without a lot of difficulty tends to come down to tactics , as well as having certain party combinations.

Without going too far into the strategy area, since that's for a different forum, I'll share a little about my party, which is generally having no difficulty on normal mode. First off, my PC is a TWF rogue, and a rogue with a couple of fast weapons is an absolute DPS monster in this game. I also have Aloth who is set up to be a master nuker. Durance heals, buffs, debuffs and if there's time, will do a few damage spells. Kana mainly stands back and sings, shoots, and casts. When necessary he can tank a bit too. Eder is my primary tank, and I use him as such. Pallegina is my secondary tank, and I use her as such.

I'm not sure what your party composition looks like, but this is working out very well for me. I try to keep my tanks in the front lines, and use them to keep the bad guys away from the others. My rogue always runs into the fray after the tanks, with the hope that he won't take too much agro. He has reasonable defenses for when that doesn't work out. Make sure Eder is knocking down enemies whenever he can, and Durance has knockdown spells as well. Incapacitate spellcasters as quickly as possible, since they can make a tough fight even harder.

For tough fights, in particular, make sure Aloth and Durance are rapid fire casting spells. This is what they do best, so maximize their potential. Kana should cast as often as possible, and her spells that cause enemies to be stunned are great. Focus fire on enemies as much as possible to eliminate threats early. If you can bring your enemy's numbers down without losing any of your own, you will quickly gain an edge and win the day. Oh, and make liberal use of the pause button, so you always know exactly what is going on.

Anyhow, that's just a few random thoughts. Hope they help, and good luck. I put them in spoilers just to be safe.

Edited by Marceror

Yeah, sorry about that, our forum software can't seem to distinguish between ****roaches, ****pits and ****adoodledoos but it's what keeps people from calling eachother plain ol' ****. >_< Don't even get me started on if your name is the short form of Richard. I surely hope that name never gets picked for an Obsidian companion, we'd never hear the end of it.

I guess the guy who created the forum software saw Howard Stern's Private Parts, and thought it best to err on the side of caution.

You can make an innocent word like ****adoodledoo seem pretty naughty.

Yeah, pretty much.

PoE is M rated. The forums aren't. Simple as that.

Bingo. I'd give you a prize, but I was unprepared. Games are rated, board is not. That makes Obs responsible. I understand the disconnect between the subject matter of their games and the rules of their forum and we try to walk that line but overall, the goal is to keep it at least PG-13 and PG-13 products aren't allowed more than one F-word - ours was used ten years ago when Chris Avellone read the forum response to KotOR II. :lol:

[...]

I killed the Sky Dragon today. I took me 3 tries to do it without a total party wipeout, but still, I'm feeling all kinds of ****y.

[...]

Good job on the hidden sudden spoiler in the non-spoiler forum there.

t50aJUd.jpg

[...]

[...]

How is this a spoiler? Sky Dragon eye is an ingredient necessary to improve items to Superb, if you take one look at the crafting list you know that a Sky Dragon will be murdered at some point.

[...]

[...]

How is this a spoiler? Sky Dragon eye is an ingredient necessary to improve items to Superb, if you take one look at the crafting list you know that a Sky Dragon will be murdered at some point.

It's a crafting ingredient; there's no shortage of situations where you get crafting ingredients without killing anything at all, and there's no shortage of situations where the name of something does not match it's origin.

t50aJUd.jpg

It's a Superb enchantment, the best one of its kind. And for both armor and weapons, it requires dragon parts. I didn't start playing RPGs yesterday, I know what to expect. Besides, really? "This game has dragons" is a spoiler now?

Additionally, there is a Steam achievement for killing all the dragons in the game, which anyone can see. So I'm not totally clear on what the perceived spoiler is. The fact that I "let slip" about a dragon being in the game (which Obsidian trailers for the game have already shown), or the fact that they can be killed (can't everything?). Or is it the word sky?

Apologies if you feel spoiled. Certainly wasn't my intent, and I'm not really seeing it in all honesty.

Edited by Marceror

For what it's worth, I was going to put the words *** d***** in spoilers for the extra sensitive among us, but apparently I've already lost the ability to do that.

EDIT - Funny story, I was just reading another thread in this very forum where someone mentioned killing another type of dragon. No one seemed to think there was a spoiler to be found in that thread.

Edited by Marceror