32bit user still having crashes with area transitions

MotelOK

Question

I downloaded the beta patch after I saw the 32bit issue was addressed. But my game still crashes when transitioning from Valewood to the Gilded Vale. I tried alt tabbing and giving Pillars a higher memory priority, but still no luck. If we (32bit users) can launch the game and get through a few areas without much issue, surely that means this issue is fixable right?

Anyway I really appreciate Obsidian working on this, just wanted to relay my feedback on the beta patch.

10 answers to this question

I downloaded the beta patch after I saw the 32bit issue was addressed. But my game still crashes when transitioning from Valewood to the Gilded Vale. I tried alt tabbing and giving Pillars a higher memory priority, but still no luck. If we (32bit users) can launch the game and get through a few areas without much issue, surely that means this issue is fixable right?

Anyway I really appreciate Obsidian working on this, just wanted to relay my feedback on the beta patch.

Hi MotelOK,

Can we take a look at your output log? This thread should help you locate the file: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72439-must-read-how-to-report-an-issue/

Thanks!

Got a bug :cat:?? Help us squish it!

• In your report Include your *save file* (C:\Users\YourNameHere\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity) and ...
  • PC: *output_log.txt* (In your PillarsOfEternity_Data folder)
  • Mac/Linux: *Player.log* (In your Unity folder)

• Thank you for your help!

MotelOK, you may want to try this if you haven't yet:

http://windows7themes.net/en-us/32-bit-use-bcdedit-set-increaseuserva-to-increase-ram-used-by-single-application/

Mentioned here:

http://forums.obsidian.net/blog/7/entry-182-windows-32-bit-crashing-occasionally-or-on-specific-area-transitions/

It's not the same as process affinity and likely has a higher chance to help your problem.

I'm also playing on a 32 bit system, and haven't had a single crash during 23 hours of playing, and 10 hours of fooling around. I have previously increased the 2 GB of RAM per application limit (for playing CK2 mods) to 3 GB. So I guess the crashes are a result of the game hitting that limit on area transitions.

Here is a quick guide I wrote on another forum, it's the same process as in Azureblaze's first link:

If you have 4 GB of RAM installed in your system, check the amount of usable RAM your PC has in Control Panel -> System, or by right-clicking the My Computer icon and choosing Properties. If it is over 3 GB you can use the "bcdedit /set increaseuserva 3072" command in the Command Prompt ( type cmd in the Start menu search, its the first result), then restart the PC to increase the 2 GB per application limit to 3GB.

Edited by Lychnidos
  • Like 1

MotelOK, you may want to try this if you haven't yet:

http://windows7themes.net/en-us/32-bit-use-bcdedit-set-increaseuserva-to-increase-ram-used-by-single-application/

Mentioned here:

http://forums.obsidian.net/blog/7/entry-182-windows-32-bit-crashing-occasionally-or-on-specific-area-transitions/

It's not the same as process affinity and likely has a higher chance to help your problem.

I'm also playing on a 32 bit system, and haven't had a single crash during 23 hours of playing, and 10 hours of fooling around. I have previously increased the 2 GB of RAM per application limit (for playing CK2 mods) to 3 GB. So I guess the crashes are a result of the game hitting that limit on area transitions.

Here is a quick guide I wrote on another forum, it's the same process as in Azureblaze's first link:

If you have 4 GB of RAM installed in your system, check the amount of usable RAM your PC has in Control Panel -> System, or by right-clicking the My Computer icon and choosing Properties. If it is over 3 GB you can use the "bcdedit /set increaseuserva 3072" command in the Command Prompt ( type cmd in the Start menu search, its the first result), then restart the PC to increase the 2 GB per application limit to 3GB.

I saw these instructions previously when the 32bit crash was found. I have no pursued trying this because the link specifically mentions Windows 7/8, while I'm still using Windows XP. Can either of you confirm that the instructions provided in the link will work for Windows XP? I really can't afford to replace my computer if I do something that causes it all to go nuclear trying this, so I'm really worried about trying this out.

According to this link it's possible to do it on XP, but the process isn't as simple, and it involves editing the boot.ini. Check this link for how to do that.

I'm bookmarking these links in case Obsidian doesn't patch it on their end. While I do really want to play PoE, the risks of modifying my OS this much really concern me.

I do greatly appreciate you trying to help though. Thanks a lot man.