Anyone starting to make a mod for individual stealth?

This feature has been demanded and I don't know why. The stealth system that is already implemented is sensible and works fine.

A single character going into stealth made sense when only thieves could stealth in D&D however in pillars of eternity all characters can stealth so all characters do in stealth mode.

Individual stealth would open up tactical possibilities with a rogue, making backstab not so much of a trap choice.

I believe they intended stealth to be per individual, but ran into an engine limitation.  If that's the case, there won't be a mod to enable it.

Edited by Daemonjax

Do correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't everyone get revealed anyway when combat starts?

That's the problem.  The rogue that you've stealthed behind the group gets thrown out of stealth when your tank gets spotted.

You're right that the entire party going into stealth at the click of a single button isn't a problem, though.  People seem to confuse the two things, though (I'm not saying you did).

Edited by Daemonjax

Do correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't everyone get revealed anyway when combat starts?

That's the problem.  The rogue that you've stealthed behind the group gets thrown out of stealth when your tank gets spotted.

You're right that the entire party going into stealth at the click of a single button isn't a problem, though.  People seem to confuse the two things, though (I'm not saying you did).

Yup. Between this and the 2m limitation that applies even to ranged weapons, backstab is effectively worthless.

I like to use my rogue or ranger in stealth. That's it... I scout ahead with them for traps and enemies...

Why do the rest of my characters have to go stealth to. Just makes no sense and looks dumb.

A person geared in heavy metal can't Sneak around makes no sense.

Not an engine limitation. More of a design decision made early in the process (implementing stealth as a game state, like combat).

It should be noted that, if I understood it right when it was explained, the reason they did it that way *was* practically because of engine limitation. Not because you have to do it that way, but because it was easier to, so they opted for it - the alternative would've taken much longer.

But it can be done and I think it was BAdler that said that they want to work on it in patches/expansions, so at least they've acknowledged the issue.

t50aJUd.jpg

Stealth is dead simple in this game. Most RPG games are the same actually... Kind of makes me wish we´d get an isometric RPG with actual stealth, combined with a really good tactical combat akin Jagged Alliance 2 in the future.

More important to individual stealth to me is being able to dismiss/leave companions....In Divinity:OS for example, I could at any time take my rogue and go off doing bits of a dungeon myself. In POE, more than once I used my rogue to sneak past lots of enemies, then was hampered by not being able to move past a loading screen. In Raedric's Hold, I snuck past everyone, then realised it was pointless as I wasn't able to go to the next level and it was a bit annoying...being able to just say to companions 'you wait here, I'll take it from here' would be great.

To the surprising number of people asking why anyone wants this - well, it's because it's a Role Playing Game. If your entire party, including fearless warrior/paladin and clumsy oaf barbarian, are forced to sneak around because your trap-finding expert is scouting ahead looking for traps, then I'm afraid it's a fail.

• Like 1

I wouldn't have as big a problem with the stealth limitation if they had given rogues some per encounter invisibility abilities.  2/rest might as well be zero as far as I'm concerned.  Can't build a class/playstyle off that.

True facts. The problem basically is that backstab only works off stealth or invisibility, and it has a 2 meter range. So you go stealth, position yourself, and backstab then go right into melee and take damage while waiting for escape or something similar to go off, because if you take your tank out of stealth to go up and take the threat so you can get a single backstab off before entering combat you immediately go out of stealth. And you can't hang back and start with with a ranged  backstab because 2 meter range.

To the surprising number of people asking why anyone wants this - well, it's because it's a Role Playing Game. If your entire party, including fearless warrior/paladin and clumsy oaf barbarian, are forced to sneak around because your trap-finding expert is scouting ahead looking for traps, then I'm afraid it's a fail.

Exactly this.  I don't know how many times I've went into stealth mode with my rogue in order to scout ahead or disarm a trap and been forced to watch as my entire party goes into stealth with him.  It's ridiculous seeing a paladin, priest and a fighter all in plate mail crouching low and somehow walking around "stealthily" while simultaneously encased in pounds of metal.  It makes mores sense from a role playing perspective to have the party wait in a safe area while the thief/rogue does the sneaking.  I mean think about it - none of the dwarves followed Bilbo into Smaug's lair because he was the burglar.