Temporary fix for the changing movement speed bug

Stillquest

Question

I've written a small program that can be used to fix saved games which suffer from this bug. The problem usually presents as some characters moving too slowly while others move too fast.

Caveats:

• You need .net 4 installed for the program to work. Hopefully you have it already as many games install it. Sorry for that one. That's what I get for using Visual Studio Express.

• Keep a backup of your save! I've yet to break a game with this fix, but there's always a first time.

• Make sure you unequip any items that change your character's speed (e.g. Boots of Speed) before running the program.

• Currently, the fix can only deal with the main character, the default companions and Itumaak. If your problem character is a hired adventurer or a non-Itumaak animal companion, it will need to be fixed manually. I can help, but you'll have send me your save file. Make sure and mention the exact names of the characters needing a fix.

Download PillarsSpeedFix

How to use:

Your savegame files are actually zipped archives. Open the savegame you want to fix (Winrar will do the job), and extract the file MobileObjects.save. By default, the game keeps the save files in [userfolder]\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity.

Run PillarsSpeedFix.exe, click the "Open File" button, select the extracted MobileObjects.save.

For each companion you've already encountered in this playthrough, you'll get two values: Running speed and walking speed. Companions you've not yet met will be greyed out.

For all the characters except the fox companion Itumaak, running speed should be 4 and walking speed should be 2. Itumaak is supposed to have a running speed of 5.5 and a walking speed of 2. You can either edit them manually, or click the "Defaults" button to automatically set the speeds to their initial values.

Click "Save Changes" to write the new speed values to the file. The program will then close.

Put the fixed MobileObject.save file back into the savegame file you extracted it from. If you're using winrar, you can simply drag and drop the file into the Winrar window.

Start the game, load your save, and if all went well you're good to go.

Please report any bugs on this thread.

• Like 4

18 answers to this question

For some reason though the program does not allow me to edit Durance and Sagani speeds, while both of them  are in my party on the save i want to edit.

Any ideas?

Could you post your save? I'll take a look.

EDIT: Actually, considering you're still under the first 5 posts rule, it would be quicker if you'd send it to me by a private message.

Edited by Stillquest

Sorry to double post but I ade this accoutn to post on the speed issue in the first place, anyhow, I figured out what I did wrong after re-reading the instructions, got it to work, thanks a bunch, btw, monks have a higher movement speed if they take a certain buff, puts their running speed to 7 and their walking speed to 2.5

Sorry to double post but I ade this accoutn to post on the speed issue in the first place, anyhow, I figured out what I did wrong after re-reading the instructions, got it to work, thanks a bunch, btw, monks have a higher movement speed if they take a certain buff, puts their running speed to 7 and their walking speed to 2.5

Glad it worked out, and sorry for the late reply. I kinda stopped following this thread since patch 1.04 came out, as the release notes mention this bug specifically as fixed, retroactively as well. Isn't it? If not, the developers should be notified.

As for the monk speed buff (I assume you mean Fast Runner), good catch. I didn't play a monk, but I suspected something of the sort might be an option for some characters at some point. That's why I left in the option to manually edit the speed values, and didn't just set them to the default values. I would've edited the OP to reflect your info, but unfortunately this forum does not allow changes to posts after a certain amount of time. Hopefully people will bother reading the thread.

Edited by Stillquest

I've written a small program that can be used to fix saved games which suffer from this bug. The problem usually presents as some characters moving too slowly while others move too fast

Stillquest, I've just registered for this forum for the sole purpose of thanking you. You have obviously spent a fair bit of time helping people, and also creating your little gem of a program. From one guy in Scotland to wherever you are: Thank you. Thank you for using your expertise to help so many... and all for no gain. You're one of the good guys. :)

• Like 1

Thank you Stillquest for the fixer program!

Had Itumaak's walking speed drop to 1 (unsure how it happened, I only noticed after leaving the Endless Paths) and it was a hassle moving anywhere that required the party to proceed in stealth mode.

On a side note, this happened with the WM and the latest 2.01 patch installed. Are the developers aware that the bug is still cropping up?

You're welcome, and that's a very good question.

When I originally created the fix, the speed problem (almost?) always manifested as one character's movement becoming too slow, and another's too fast (by the same amount). It made me suspect that the source of the bug was a temporary speed debuff used against a party member that was removed incorrectly - that is, the lost movement was added back to the wrong character. The last few days, people complain of only one character becoming too slow, and so far it seems like it's always Itumaak. It's plausible we're dealing with a new bug, possibly one that was introduced with the latest DLC/patch.

Thanks for the info Stillquest. I will keep an eye out for it in case it should crop up again, so that the circumstances under which it does arise can be noted and hopefully it will aid the developers in squashing it. :)