My biggest complaint about Pillars of Eternity? I miss the Magic Missile.

I'm curious, did anybody find a need to swap out spell books for a Wizard character? There didn't seem to be a burning need to use more than the four spell slots per level they provided. In fact, for several spell levels just one or two spells were sufficient. But perhaps it was just my play style.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

No, I never swapped a grimoire in the whole game. I agree with you that at some levels, only one or two spells (that I've found, anyway) have any value at all. Furthermore, I can't see casting more than 4 distinct spells from the same level in a single fight (you can't even do it with certain items or talents) and there are no situations where a Wizard desperately needs a spell that's not already a permanent fixture in your grimoire.

The grimoire is a really weird thing given the DR system. It would be one thing if DR was percentage-based, but since it's a fixed value and, with a couple of exceptions who will almost certainly annihilate you the first time you face them and for whom you prepare specifically, not a very high one, you're actually better off just hammering them with your highest damage spell (or a damage-and-debuff spell like Chill Fog) even if it goes against their stronger DR.

I'm curious, did anybody find a need to swap out spell books for a Wizard character? There didn't seem to be a burning need to use more than the four spell slots per level they provided. In fact, for several spell levels just one or two spells were sufficient. But perhaps it was just my play style.

Never ever not once did I even have to consider it.

This reminds me of Dungeon and Dragons Online's most powerful offensive caster build - shiradi missile spamming sorcerers.

Shiradi gives stances which have a 7-10% chance of inflicting status effects, debuffs, loads of damage etc on both ranged attacks and spells. Spamming magic missile and chain missile with it means loads and loads of hits and procs.

Never. It was really too boring to manage 2 or 3 spell books in the inventory, and to remember what you put into! Furthermore, it was too long to change book during battle.

Clearly, speelbook for wizard was weak gameplay for me.

Being able to cast each spell you know once per rest (with some gameplay adjusment maybe) would be more fun for example! At least, you would try to use every spell you know, you would have to vary, and it would be really more interesting to learn a lot of spell for a wizard.