Great To See!

Fionavar

I certainly hope so. The gaming industry has been barren as of late, particularly in the RPG genre. I wouldn't mind at all if Obsidian turns out to be the bearer of fruit to satisfy our taste and quench our hunger for games.

Exitium

RPG Codex - the premier avant garde gaming news site.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

I'm not really worried, either. I'm confident in MCA's ability to make a good game.

Exitium

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

I'm not really worried, either. I'm confident in MCA's ability to make a good game.

The worry I have is the fact it's dual platform development. This usually translates to 'console first, then PC port'. And it's a general rule that console games on PCs just aren't that good. Can't think of one at all off hand, let alone an RPG.

I certainly hope that if they develop a dual platform game, they do so simultaniously rather than port it. Morrowind was developed this way and it didn't turn out too bad aside from the combat and dialogue, which wasn't any fault of the X-Box.

Exitium

I certainly hope that if they develop a dual platform game, they do so simultaniously rather than port it. Morrowind was developed this way and it didn't turn out too bad aside from the combat and dialogue, which wasn't any fault of the X-Box.

Well the physics engine could have ... well great game, but the physics continues to be a frustration ....

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Come to mention it, I certainly hope that Obsidian's game has physics. If I recall, KOTOR didn't have any physics (except in the race) and it was a constant source of irritation, especially in a 3d engine.

Exitium

But wasn't MW developed primarily for the PC then ported? So we got a PC game. Same as Max Payne 2 - developed for PC, ported to PS2 and xbox. Those were not 'dual development' games - the ones I can think of that were dual development, suck on the PC. Examples, Deus Ex 2, KOTOR (doesn't suck but certainly screams console in its small levels, bad interface etc.)

My biggest joy is seeing a good FPS engine merged with a deep well driven RPG ... but the only way it works is if the physics works ... something that MW and the entire M&M line suffered from.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

• 3 months later...

Ok, does this post remind any old Black Isle forumeer of anything?

He he *wink *

Only that this is an old thread and that 410 is almost 420.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

As someone from the old, old days of the black BIS forums and glorious Ye Old, I also have to say its great to see that good things really DON'T die, they just take on new forms. I even see some old names I recognize around here and that makes it even better =)

(Seeing news of Interplay's impending doom might also have lifted my spirits some)