Durance way too advanced so early in the game

I am just starting this game and suddenly a companion joins my team: Durance. This npc has allready a lot of spells on level 1 and 2, two full bars of spells!

My 3th level ranger has one spell "Marked Pray" and that's it. I find this difference way too big so early in the game. I expected the companions to level up with me as I go along leveling up, not these huge differences, especially so early in the game.

For me this came as a huge surprise and not for the better. Is this normal for this kind of game or is this poorly done by Obsidian?

Priests get their spells automatically at certain level ups. It's by design.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I am just starting this game and suddenly a companion joins my team: Durance. This npc has allready a lot of spells on level 1 and 2, two full bars of spells!

My 3th level ranger has one spell "Marked Pray" and that's it. I find this difference way too big so early in the game. I expected the companions to level up with me as I go along leveling up, not these huge differences, especially so early in the game.

For me this came as a huge surprise and not for the better. Is this normal for this kind of game or is this poorly done by Obsidian?

It's normal, both Priests and Druids get access to all their spells when they meet the requirements. (lvl 3 = all level 2 spells, level 5 = all lvl3 spells, etc..)

I know it's overwhelming at first, it's a lot of spells to consider.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick repsonses. Ok then it's by design.... explains a lot. Still a lot of spells suddenly dropped at you at once... a big difference compared to my level 3 ranger with one spell ;(

Edited by petertlh

Thanks for the quick repsonses. Ok then it's by design.... explains a lot. Still a lot of spells suddenly dropped at you at once... a big difference compared to my level 3 ranger with one spell ;(

Rangers don't have spells. That's an ability and you'll have very few abilities compared to spells. Like 3-4 of them. It's just how those classes work there is less micro managing, but it's okay since you have six people to manage :p

Rangers aren't like in D&D. They don't get spells, but they do get some active abilities. Mark prey is one of those (and it's a per-encounter because it is not a spell by the way, so use it often). Think of druids more as range-focused rouges with pets in PoE.

Druids and priests unlike wizards and ciphers (and chanters?) get all the spells for free immediately. No need to learn anything. If you can cast level 3 spells you can cast all of them. It does sort of require that you sit down and familiarize yourself a bit with the spell selection when they get new ones - but you quickly find your favorites through use. They still have casting limits pr rest however so they aren't as overpowered as it may seem - they just have a lot of versatility right off the bat.

-Stigma

I agree the early game companions are overwhelming when it comes to micromanagement and learning curve. I mean, if you take everyone, you get a wizard AND a priest. If you happen to play a spellcaster - and many people do - you end up with THREE full-time spellcasters early on.

Haha very true. But like Prestidigitator said, I just have to sit down and get familiar with all those spells.

So, can I access the spell list somewhere that isn't a single row of icons on top/bottom of the screen? Wizards have grimoirs, do other casters have an easy to look through list like that?

Also yeah, you must have missed Aloth the wizard near the inn in Gilded Vale.

Well, not every manual can nor should be on Wing Commander Price of Freedom levels of greatness, but complaining about the game were one just could have read the manual is lazy. No offense intended.

Edited by Valeris

Well, not every manual can nor should be on Wing Commander Price of Freedom levels of greatness, but complaining about the game were one just could have read the manual is lazy. No offense intended.

Normally, manuals don't have anywhere near that level of detail, so it's pretty reasonable for people to not go out of their way to read it without being told in advance. It's also a pretty bad way to convey information, as a primary source, espesially given all of the ways they could have included that information in play.

Edit: After a quick read through, the manual is also kind-of useless for these sorts of things. It gives you a brief description of the spells, yes, but it doesn't give you any of the specifics you'd need to actually employ them.

Edited by Epsilon Rose