Least Liked Companions

Name your least liked companion?  

498 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your least liked companion?

• Aloth
    • Eder
    • Durance
    • Kana Rua
    • Sagani
    • Pallegina
    • Hiravias
    • Grieving Mother

I have to go with Grieving Mother. The concept of her character is interesting, but she should have been a regular NPC instead of a companion. If you travel with her, she takes up a spot in the party that could be filled with a character that reacts to the gameworld more organically, like all the others.

• Like 2

I'm gonna go agead and ask this... Which do you prefer? Maneha or Eder?

Well, a choice between those two is pretty obvious.

Eder is one of the two first characters you can recruit, which works to his advantage. Add his joking, easy-going personality and he wins easily. He is well rooted in the game world and  - as a Eothas worshiper - reminds the player about the themes of the game.

Maneha is underdeveloped. She seems to me like a cartboard cutout, just to make a predefined barbarian available for recruitment.

My favorites of all the companions would be Zahua and Devil of Caroc, in that order.

As of the rest of them...

Aloth is somewhat bland and his timidness can be annoying. His quest reinforces the themes of the game, but I can't say it does me any good.

Durance is interesting and well-written, but unpleasant and unable to shut up about things and people he's bigoted against, which can also become annoying. His personal "quest" is probably my favourite of all companions' quests.

I like Hiravias. His humour is crass, but it resonates well with me, most of the time. His voice-acting is over the top at times, though. As for his quest I felt it was interesting, dealing with his identity crisis and with the matter of soul mechanics.

At first I liked Kana's thirst for knowledge, but it became annoyingly old very fast. As well as his naivety. His quest was very good, especially its unfulfilling conclusion.

Pellagina... I like her personality, but her "quest" is not very engaging. I hardly could understand why she expected some stranger she just met to be fully on board with her problems. And, frankly, I had to force myself to care.

Sagani you can call boring or dull, but I quite like her "down to earth" attitude. She is very relatable and nice to have around. Plus, I have a thing for short brunettes. ;) And her quest... A bit repetitive in dialogue and I became quite tired of "Persoq this and Persoq that". But its conclusion was pretty nice. I have trouble understanding though how is that possible for a kith soul to inhabit an animal body. Isn't it an entire point of wichts and "the salvation" that animals and people don't mix, soul-wise?

Edited by Pus-in-Boots
  • Like 2

I'd think of it as a Buddhistig way of reincarnation. The problem with the witchs was the artificial transplantation of souls, as opposed to "nature-given"

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

I'm surprised Kana is currently the least liked companion, but I can understand why. Surely his repeated chants, his appearance and the ugly portrait with sharky teeth didn't favor him. Also, I find his voice pretty annoying, but that's just me maybe.

Still, he has grown a lot on me, I consider him pretty interesting to carry around, even after his quest and during the WM, and he has some of the best banter with other companions. I remeber in particular the hilarious ones with Aloth pre-quest!  :p 

Of course the sample is extremely small (not even 400 voters) to the point of being not representative of the huge playerbase.

Of course#2 Edèr is the less likely to become the most hated... when you have the humor, the strength and the looks, what's more to ask for? :blush:

Not that I'm complaining, Edèr and Aloth were my favorite vanilla companions (Matt Mercer's magic?) and I'm eager to meet them again in PoE2!!

• Like 1

Edér, I am using WhatsApp!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Almost all characters in Pillars of Eternity are badly written and uninteresting (except for Aloth, Durance and sometimes Hiravias). But above all I really despise Pallegina. I find her pissed off attitude and mindset to be utterly abhorrent and she is literary in the game just to push for feminist, SJW and #blacklivesmatter propaganda because the developers felt compelled to show how "progressive" and "inclusive" they are (BAD). Moreover, a huge proportion of the characters and NPCs that come from the Republics (Pallegina's homeland) which is, you know, ****ing fantasy Italy (think Republic of Venice or Genoa) are black (BAD).

I dream of the day when game companies won't be pressured by these activists to push for their cancerous ideology.

• Like 1

Durance is simultaneously one of the most hated and most loved companions. Fits.

Anyway, Hiravias for me. I found him a bit one note and just couldn't get into the autumn stelgaer story. Pallegina may be the worst companion simply due to lack of content, but what little is there is fine. I'm not seeing the political pandering. People these days are too sensitive. Try being a right winger a few decades ago and then tell me about how horrible agenda pushing from the media you're suffering today is.

Not sure if i posted here or not, but it's definitely Pallegina for me.

Just found her horribly boring and downright unlikable.

I would've preferred literally anyone else as a returning companion for Deadfire over her,

Edited by Juodas Varnas

I didn't dislike any of the companions, but I probably used Kana the least?  He just seemed a bit detached from everything else that was going on in the story, besides Caed Nua and the Endless Paths, plus he just isn't really the kind of character I personally tend to gravitate towards.  If he'd had a personal stake in the goings on in the Dyrwood I probably would have dragged him around a lot more.  Sagani and Pallegina have a similar problem, but I also just liked them more as characters, so no accounting for taste and so on.

• Like 1

Most of the NPCs have no particular reason to be with the Watcher, which is weird to me coming off other games from these developers. They used to go out of their way to justify it. I guess they were just emulating Baldur's Gate.

I suppose it's telling that the two companions largely conceived by Avellone are the ones with the clearest reason to be following the Watcher. Though I suppose Aloth and arguably Edér also fit better than the others.

• 3 weeks later...

Loved: Edér.

Liked: Durance, Hiravias,  Aloth, Kana Rua, Grieving Mother, Devil of Caroc.

Kinda disliked , kinda liked: Pallegina, Maneha,Zahua.

Disliked: Sagani.

Edited by Tanjaxxx

I'm surprised Kana is currently the least liked companion, but I can understand why. Surely his repeated chants, his appearance and the ugly portrait with sharky teeth didn't favor him. Also, I find his voice pretty annoying, but that's just me maybe.

Still, he has grown a lot on me, I consider him pretty interesting to carry around, even after his quest and during the WM, and he has some of the best banter with other companions. I remeber in particular the hilarious ones with Aloth pre-quest!  :p

Of course the sample is extremely small (not even 400 voters) to the point of being not representative of the huge playerbase.

Of course#2 Edèr is the less likely to become the most hated... when you have the humor, the strength and the looks, what's more to ask for? :blush:

Not that I'm complaining, Edèr and Aloth were my favorite vanilla companions (Matt Mercer's magic?) and I'm eager to meet them again in PoE2!!

I ...don't dislike Kana because he's 'ugly' or 'annoying'. In fact, I found him to be very charming with his love of knowledge and enthusiasm....I liked his character. I liked him a lot! 

And Durance (who's actually MEANT to be ugly / scarred) is my second favourite, right after Edér!

As for Edér himself, he's a nice guy. And very interactive with the player character (in a friendly way). :) 

I kinda feel like adding , most of the female characters weren't as well written as the male ones...could just be me but....ya.

Devil of Caroc and Grieving mother were above decent, and I kinda liked Pallegina and Maneha but......Idk, something was missing? 

Edér-Aloth/Iselmyr-Durance the dream team.

Kana is alright.

Hiravias is ok.

I'm pretty neutral about the WM ones. Haven't played with them much, either.

GM can be interesting, but she doesn't engage with the world as much. She's kind of unique as a follower imo.

Pallegina...eh idk. I don't hate her, but she's a little too bland. Not sure why they decided to port her to PoE 2, I was actually surprised. I'm sad Durance won't be there.

Sagani I'm completely indifferent about.

I hope one of the PoE 2 female characters will be funny. Would go well with Aloth/Edér.

• 1 month later...

There are a lot of companions that I can say I like and hate, that is just like how some people are. I can tolerate that.

However what I cannot stand is when you are presented a companion that is the equivalent of cold spaghetti. That cold spaghetti would be Maneha. Not only was she dull but I felt like I she didn't bring anything new.I can look at characters like Durance, Pallegina, characters that (for me) may not be the most pleasant to travel with but I can understand what viewpoints. Maneha, from the moment I met her, to the end of the game, I still knew next to nothing about her as a person. I knew that she has been to a lot of different places, wishes to be rid of her awakening, and is a lesbian but that is it. It just feels frustrating I can see where she fit in the themes of PoE but she just felt flat to me.

• 1 month later...

I have to say Kana, but not because he's a bad character, just a little loud and naive for my tastes, and his focus on the paths is pretty isolated and over quickly. Beyond those I didn't feel like he meshed/was attached with the events going on around him as much. I'm keeping him till the end since I need that faster ranged attack, though. So he may surprise me.

Edited by Rheios

I have to say Kana, but not because he's a bad character, just a little loud and naive for my tastes, and his focus on the paths is pretty isolated and over quickly. Beyond those I didn't feel like he meshed/was attached with the events going on around him as much. I'm keeping him till the end since I need that faster ranged attack, though. So he may surprise me.

I didn't vote but Kana has grown on me. First few playthroughs, I didn't keep him in my party after Endless Paths. Now, he is with me to the end.

Edited by XEternalXDreamsX
  • Like 2