Least Liked Companions

Name your least liked companion?  

498 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your least liked companion?

• Aloth
    • Eder
    • Durance
    • Kana Rua
    • Sagani
    • Pallegina
    • Hiravias
    • Grieving Mother

I disliked Durance the most. Just not a very big fan of insane street preachers that keep ranting at me.

I didn't particularly care for the Grieving Mother, either. In theory she has a pretty interesting back story, but the way it was delivered just did not work for me.

• Like 2

Nothing about these results is surprising. Eder likes to pet animals and has a brother he can't help but idealize. Kana is very much the teacher's favourite back in school who talks too much. Durance is not supposed to be likeable. Hiravias relies on making innuendos to distract from his gigantic inferiority complex. As for Aloth, he is conflicted without all the angst. That alone is a reason to like him.

The character I dislike most is Durance, but that's good - he is supposed to be thoroughly unlikeable. So job well done there.

Now, the character I felt least about is Grieving Mother. I just never really cared, and I was never really able to relate. She's sort of hindered by the fact that none of the other characters actually interact with her, so you're completely dependent on your dialogue interaction with her to get to know her. And from the dialogue, well, I just couldn't empathize. Her world view is at once so simplistic, and yet so alien. I wasn't able to bridge that gap.

She's the only character so far I had no problem sacrificing. And none of the companions even cared since they didn't even know she existed. That was rather hilarious, though.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

for this kinda poll, we didn't read "liked" as meaning that we would wanna spend the afternoon at a ballgame with the character in question. preference as 'posed to agreeable? the presence o' most o' the joinable npcs improved our game experience.  a select few joinables actual detracted from our game enjoyment. those joinables that enhanced, we liked.  those joinables that detracted...

*shrug*

no wrong answers we s'pose.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I disliked Durance as a character, but loved his writing as I went on.  However, the pacing of his story was a little off since I wasn't terribly concerned with the plot.

I liked Eder as a character, and also liked his writing.

Pallegina was pretty interesting, but her quest needed elaboration.

Hirviras really grew on me, and he gave a neat perspective on the Gods.

Sagani too, although her quest was pretty stupid (but she was aware of this).

Grieving Mother had an interesting plot, but didn't really come together.

Kana just wasn't that interesting as a character.  He certainly matched the setting, but neither his plot nor personality really grabbed me.  He needed a lot more "so what happens next" moments after his big discovery.

Aloth just didn't work as a character.  He had two different plots, neither of which progressed nearly as far as they should.  It was kind of a jumbled mess.  It would have been more interesting if he wasn't sure if he was a leaden key agent in this life or an awakened one.

That said, all the banter between all the characters was good (except grieving mother, but that's kinda her point).

I was just looking at the Obsidian pole asking who your favorite character is.  Eder is #1 favorite, Grieving Mother #2,  Durance is #3, Aloth is #4.  Obviously the same people here and not voting there. :)

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I was just looking at the Obsidian pole asking who your favorite character is.  Eder is #1 favorite, Grieving Mother #2,  Durance is #3, Aloth is #4.  Obviously the same people here and not voting there. :)

well, it is possible for the least liked and most beloved character lists to be identical.  durance and grieving mother, as examples, would appear to be polarizing characters-- folks like or hate.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I was just looking at the Obsidian pole asking who your favorite character is.  Eder is #1 favorite, Grieving Mother #2,  Durance is #3, Aloth is #4.  Obviously the same people here and not voting there. original.gif

well, it is possible for the least liked and most beloved character lists to be identical.  durance and grieving mother, as examples, would appear to be polarizing characters-- folks like or hate.  

HA! Good Fun!

I was just thinking the same thing. After all, the polls aren't rankings, they're just single votes for or against.

Edér seems to be liked by everyone or at least not hated by anyone and loved by many, but Durance is hated and loved in equal measure, likely both, by some people.

t50aJUd.jpg

Two flaws I think with the Obsidian favorites poll.  It is in area where non-players might go even people who have never heard of the game if that is possible on this board and you can vote more than once.  I think the poll here even with less voter is probably more accurate.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Two flaws I think with the Obsidian favorites poll.  It is in area where non-players might go even people who have never heard of the game if that is possible on this board and you can vote more than once.  I think the poll here even with less voter is probably more accurate.

is good points. we only went to the obsidian main page 'cause you mentioned the poll.  can't recall the last time we accessed the main page.  however, am not suggesting that our behavior is typical.

that being said, there were a similar favorites poll on this board, yes?  am recalling that the percentages and choices were similar. eder, at least, were the favorite.

HA! Good Fun!

Edér seems to be liked by everyone or at least not hated by anyone and loved by many, but Durance is hated and loved in equal measure, likely both, by some people.

Durance has a very abrasive personality, so it's not really surprising that he's more polarizing than the more congenial Eder.

Least liked? Durance. Far and away Durance. He's a text book sociopath, except most sociopaths have the good sense to hide it. It's almost like his writer was copying straight from the DSM IV, making sure he ticked every box under Antisocial Personality Disorder. I cannot imagine even the darkest character wanting to travel with him. Even my Aggressive/Cruel Barbarian who punches babies while kicking pupies is like "Dude, reign that **** in."

Conversely, I really like Sagani, and I cannot tell you why.

"Walk away, before you get hurt." [benevolent] - Luma Akasha

• 3 weeks later...

Durance (aka +10% endurance on legs) is by far the most despicable and the one it makes the least sense for anyone to actually let tag along, going on about how he's going to JUDGE YOU and how he wouldnt give you the mercy of killing you right from the start, but he's quite well written.

Edited by limaxophobiacq

I couldn't bear to haul Hiravias around after he said "feces tube" instead of colon.

I just had this moment of, "seriously, writer? You couldn't be bothered to google this? To hell with you."

Pretty much this. Even "**** chute" would have been better because it would have rolled off the (mental) tongue better. "Feces tube" has too many syllables.

With some of the companions I simply don't share any common goal and fail to see how they would aid me on my quest ... and kicking someone in favor of another is a difficult decision, too, because you first need to get to know them. Role-playing wise a tough decision, as the game doesn't give a hint whether a kicked NPC would leave forever after some time.

Aloth : at least met first on a dangerous journey that has just begun - a welcome early help, friendly and made me curious - gets more interesting quickly due to the personal quest and banters in Defiance Bay ... the city I consider the game's climax

Eder : similarly here - and travelling together for some time clearly is an option so early, especially due to visiting the same places as the watcher - great voice-acting, great banters, which keep it interesting

Durance : I don't like his attitude and would not accept him in another playthrough - there is no motivation to let him join because he might contribute some worthwhile knowledge other than his stories about the godhammer - does he promise anything?

Sagani : easy to connect to because of the chance to use the watcher's capabilities in an attempt at trying to help her - and perhaps we're searching for the same person even? Or maybe there is a connection? This makes Sagani interesting ... though, once the search is over ... it's kinda sad, and that's when I sent Sagani home ... well to Caed Nua, where she stayed for unknown reasons

Kana Rua : not interesting beyond Caed Nua and his personal quest - I don't understand why he would stay in the party beyond the Endless Paths of Od Nua and not return home

Hiravias : travelling together for some part of the journey as a common goal - else I kept him only as a second offensive spell caster ... he didn't talk much and didn't contribute anything special (Lore or other hints), so any hired druid would have been fine, too - I expected much more from him out in nature ... in Twin Elms ... other than a few odd comments that made me give a shrug

Pallegina : any hired Paladin would have done, too - the party is full already, and one needs to send somebody else home, which is bad - her personal quest felt strange to me despite the shared travel location - her troubles, Verzano's troubles and the ambassador's troubles didn't really interest me except for the extra XP I could get, and I didn't learn much from her either - I only kept her for the extra content I didn't want to miss

Grieving Mother : tedious ... tiresome ... the birthing bell and trying to figure out whether she might know something helpful ... like a second Lady Webb perhaps? ... No ... I sent her to Caed Nua together with Kana Rua and Sagani, and she's the only one where I didn't complete the personal quest due to not spending enough time with her

• Like 2

Durance - i simply dont like religious fanatics, and there was not enought dialogue options to tell him "you are stupid madman". The good thing is i got with him good ending (if you know what i mean). :-) I wish they will add another Priest in expansion since it is very useful class.

Pellegina - she has not enought screen time. :-( there is great potencial in Paladin being conflicted betwean need of heart and orders, and conflicted about relation with mother, and meaning of life and stuff. But... there is no screen time, storytime to explore it. The moment at council of gods was nice, but otherwise... such waste. It is generally big waste, that there are godlikes, but they are not existing in lore. If you pick godlike as PC, you will get nothing. Pellegina gets nothing but Hivalris wicked desires.

Havent played with Greaving Mother much.

Others are mostly ok, however many of them have very simplistic aproach to life (sagani, eder). So it may look simple, but provide memorable quotes:

"- If i cant pet it why he is so soft?"

"- If you could go anywhere, what would you choose?

- Home, of course."

Edited by evilcat

• 2 weeks later...

I really dislike Grieving Mother. She makes me really uncomfortable and grossed out. I just make my own Cipher. I am not a fan of Durance but he can be funny.

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!

I actually quite liked Segani myself. Sure she wasn't as bombastic as Kana or as well written as Durance but she just seemed like the kind of person you could sit on the back porch drinking with. Her and Eder both on that front.

Yes, I completely agree. Her and Edair seemed like the most personally relate-able characters in the group. I think though that her back story was in need of a stronger motivation for leaving her children. Like an ancestral curse on her clan if she doesn't complete her quest.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

• 1 year later...

I can't stand Grievieng Mother. The wording of her dialogue is strange, she doesn't shut up about precious babies, doesn't have any interaction with other party members. I cringe each time I hear her chimes. So every time I happen to play an evil character I recruit her only to sacrifice her at the pool of blood.