So the next kickstarter is...

103 members have voted

1. 1. Obsidian's kickstarter - whats your pick?

• Science Fiction
    • More Pillars
    • Post Apocalypse
    • Western
    • Steampunk
    • Vampire Fiction
    • Spy Thriller
    • Other

- I would love a new Alpha Protocol style game

- New Fallout style game

- More Pillars

- Western RPG

- Sci Fi RPG

I would be down for any of those to be honest! As long as it is an rpg from Obsidian I am game! :yes:

Do we even know that there's going to be a next Kickstarter?

No, but why wouldn't there be? After taxes, publisher cuts, and other costs, I'm not sure if Obsidian earned enough money to fully finance their next game, but even if they did, Kickstarter is a great way to gain additional funding. With the stellar reviews Pillars is getting from players and journalists both, this new campaign certainly wouldn't suffer from lack of interest.

While you are correct and crowd-funding has very little downsides, I do resent the idea of a well-established and financed studio resorting to crowd-funding.

PoE did well enough to earn Obsidian healthy revenue throughout the coming year. They should be financially well-secured at this point and as long as they don't overreach, should remain afloat for a while to come.

Since it was Obsidian that initiated the KS and Paradox only really came in as a publisher its safe to assume that Obsidian secured a lion's share of the profits. And even if they should need more money, with such a successful and highly-acclaimed title to show for it wouldn't be hard to secure funding from a 3rd party investor, one that doesn't care to influence games much.

Imo crowd-funding should be reserved for studios and projects that cannot yet stand on their own two feet. KS can enable them to do that, that's what they're for.

They're not meant to be preorders, 3 years in advance.

I've got to say I'm surprised that post-apocalyptic is not more popular. Considering how many Black Isle regulars are at Obsidian i.e Tim Cain, Chris Avellone and Josh Sawyer with New Vegas. I would really like for them to develop there own Fallout like game given it is unlikely they will get to work on Fallout again.

Do we even know that there's going to be a next Kickstarter?

No, but why wouldn't there be? After taxes, publisher cuts, and other costs, I'm not sure if Obsidian earned enough money to fully finance their next game, but even if they did, Kickstarter is a great way to gain additional funding. With the stellar reviews Pillars is getting from players and journalists both, this new campaign certainly wouldn't suffer from lack of interest.

While you are correct and crowd-funding has very little downsides, I do resent the idea of a well-established and financed studio resorting to crowd-funding.

PoE did well enough to earn Obsidian healthy revenue throughout the coming year. They should be financially well-secured at this point and as long as they don't overreach, should remain afloat for a while to come.

Since it was Obsidian that initiated the KS and Paradox only really came in as a publisher its safe to assume that Obsidian secured a lion's share of the profits. And even if they should need more money, with such a successful and highly-acclaimed title to show for it wouldn't be hard to secure funding from a 3rd party investor, one that doesn't care to influence games much.

Imo crowd-funding should be reserved for studios and projects that cannot yet stand on their own two feet. KS can enable them to do that, that's what they're for.

They're not meant to be preorders, 3 years in advance.

I guess we differ in our perception of crowdfunding and its purpose. I don't think it should be used only as the last resort for start-ups and companies which can't get funding elsewhere, I'd rather see it as a viable alternative for established businesses too - on its own or as a supplement to funding from other sources. But I understand where you come from, I've seen this discussed before. In the end it's up to Obsidian, I'll be happy with any route they take as long as it allows them to make the games they want to make. :)
  • Like 1

I've got to say I'm surprised that post-apocalyptic is not more popular. Considering how many Black Isle regulars are at Obsidian i.e Tim Cain, Chris Avellone and Josh Sawyer with New Vegas. I would really like for them to develop there own Fallout like game given it is unlikely they will get to work on Fallout again.

Wasteland 2 + New Vegas (+ 1m ****ty other PA games) scratch that itch pretty nicely.  In two or three years maybe.

Like to move away from generic fantasy setting, game types I would love to see.  

- Something similar to vampire masquerade bloodlines.  It is a cult classic and the only game that I felt trully captured the feeling of the tabletop game in a FPS setting without dumbing it down.  This should be the gold standard for any FPS/RPG and want something just like it, would kill for a VTMB 2.

- A full on shadowrun game RPG.  Hairbrained made a good action rpg game, but I would love to see a full on RPG game in that setting.  Not sure about IP rights, but it would be awesome.

- Would be cool to have a noir/horror game.  Lovecraft inspired, but not actually lovecraft.

- A spy/consipiracy game, something like the original deus ex level of intrigue.

- scifi would be cool, cyberpunk/aliens..etc.

- A long shot but I would be estatic for a game set in the TRPG Palliduam Rifts setting, it is an amazing setting, only thing is NOT to use the mechanics of the books, have just use the lore.  

-  Related to above, there are a lot of great TRPG settings out there, seeing some turned into CRPG would be amazing.  

If there has to be a Kickstarter, I vote more Pillars. But I'd rather they fund it themselves or find a publisher that lets then do their thing. Not that I wouldn't want to donate again (I wouldn't think twice) but because I would prefer avoiding the downsides of crowdfunding for their next project.

I think crowdfunding is great. I got the game for 25 bucks, when it was full-price at release. Even if Obsidian is raking in money hand over fist it's still a terrific deal for me. Everyone wins because the cost is spread out over so many people.

I think they ought to capitalize on the success of Pillars and make a sequel or two before starting a new project. They'll still have all the lore and code fresh in their minds so they won't have to reference archives and get caught back up to speed like they would if they took a break for something else.

So Pillars has launched and done well - huzzah! Well done Obsidian

So anyone else considering what the next kickstarter will be about and when it will occur?

My idle speculation is that the unnamed rpg in the works is maybe the next kickstarter, but what is the game about?

What genre do you think it will be?

My pick is science fiction because there are not enough of them.

Aliens. But without being Aliens because licensing. So.. "Xenos". Or something. Recycle whatever they had before Sega cancelled it.

More Pillars. They opened pretty new universe to us, would be shame to not work it on it further as soon as possible, so the vibe does not wear off.

EDIT: And of course, the working engine should help them a lot to bring it to us faster.

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours