The Godhammer Bomb

I'm quite curious about the construction of the Godhammer Bomb.

What was is made of? Gunpowder? Magic? A mixture of both? And how explosive was this bomb? Was it like a car-bomb? An atomic-nuclear level explosion?

I know Waidwen was just a vessel, so he is just flesh. But since he got possesed by a god, I'm sure he must have gained god-like strength and power to defend himself from gunshots and spells.

If this bomb could kill a god, then it must be  a mother******* big-ass bomb.

Edited by Veynn

I'm quite curious about the construction of the Godhammer Bomb.

What was is made of? Gunpowder? Magic? A mixture of both? And how explosive was this bomb? Was it like a car-bomb? An atomic-nuclear level explosion?

I know Waidwen was just a vessel, so he is just flesh. But since he got possesed by a god, I'm sure he must have gained god-like strength and power to defend himself from gunshots and spells.

If this bomb could kill a god, then it must be  a mother******* big-ass bomb.

What was it made of? Did you not talk to durance? They all forged staves with runes - injected this with their beliefs and asked / prayed for the power to kill Waidwen the mortal man. This culminates in meeting the saint on a bridge and smiting him with everything they have, uncaring or unknowing that such an act would tear apart or use their very souls for fuel.

It's very implied that the runes on the staff are that of the dozen, which basically is giving the staff carte blanche to consume and tear atthe souls of all twelve, while also functioning as a channel or funnel for their collective wills (all directed at Waidwen).

It is up to the player what exactly Magran intended for the dozen there. You can speculate that she wanted them dead so that knowledge such as this would not be easily discovered again, or if she merely needed them to slap Waidwen around abit and hadn't thought they'd actually go so far as to actually destroy themselves so thoroughly in their zeal.

T_T

Edited by Dinapuff

She gave them the knowledge of how to do this, knowing what would happen--that it would tear apart and destroy both Waidwen, the soul inhabiting Waidwen (Eothos), and the souls of the Dozen as well. She wouldn't have to worry about the knowledge getting out; the problem was self-correcting.

Only Durance's unique personality has allowed him to survive so long without being consumed.

I found this on the Collector's Book

The  Dyrwoodans  had 

constructed  and  placed  a  massive  bomb 
inside  the  stonework  of  an  ancient  bridge 
(Evon  Dewr  Bridge)  leading  to  the  citadel 
gates.  They  also  warned  and  swore  to  the 
Readcerans  that Waidwen  could  never  cross 
the  bridge,  trusting  that  his  ultimate  confi-
dence  would  lead  him  directly  over  it.  This 
was exactly what happened, and the resulting 
explosion apparently destroyed Waidwen, half 
a regiment of Readceran knights, and about a 
dozen Dyrwoodans who sacrificed themselves 
to stall the saint on the bridge.

The Godhammer was the most potentially 
devastating  force  ever  created  by  mortals. 
No one knew if it would work, much less if 
it was capable of defeating a god made flesh. 
It took the form of a metal sphere, twelve feet 
in diameter, full of volatile explosive reactants. 
Builders theorized that it would unleash more 
destruction than a fully-grown drake’s breath 
by  an  exponential  margin. What’s  more,  the 
secrets of assembling the bomb were not held 
with  any  individual  involved  in  its  creation. 
The  technology  could  not  be  reproduced, 
which meant that Dyrwood had one chance to 
save itself.

The  blast  went  off  at  an  unprecedented 
scale, sending up a cloud of ash and shaking 
the  foundations  of  the  citadel. 
Edited by Veynn

Correct me if I'm wrong.

So there's the Dozen men and women. And also there's a dozen in the shadow which Durance was part of?

Pretty sure Durance says otherwise - their presence was part of the magic worked on the bridge. The Godhammer was a sympathetic weapon, with spiritual ties to Eothas, Waidwen, and the bomb's builders.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

She gave them the knowledge of how to do this, knowing what would happen--that it would tear apart and destroy both Waidwen, the soul inhabiting Waidwen (Eothos), and the souls of the Dozen as well. She wouldn't have to worry about the knowledge getting out; the problem was self-correcting.

Only Durance's unique personality has allowed him to survive so long without being consumed.

Hence his not so subtle name...

enDurance...

If I remember, Kana said the people who created the bomb asked for the Rauatai's assistance on the matter. So that means it also has to do with science like military stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure you are wrong.  I think it's more like biased narrator's are involved.  If you have both Kana and Durance, one of the banters they have is Kana mentioning this and Durance challenging Rauatai's involvement.  Given its effects on Durance's soul, I'm assuming it's not a purely mortal weapon.  Furthermore, I doubt even Durance fully understands what's actually involved with the process.  I'm sure there will be further revelations in the future, regarding whether Eothas is truly dead or "mostly dead"/nature of "gods"/etc.  The beauty of PoE is that there is still so much to be explored still/there isn't really an "ultimate truth" just shades of truth as determined by the speakers.

• Like 1

Hence his not so subtle name...

enDurance...

"Durance" was actually Middle English for "imprisonment or confinement." Considering he was written by Avellone, and his NPCs are usually angsty, I'm sure that was on purpose.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

whether Eothas is truly dead or "mostly dead"

Does Miracle Max exist in this world?

Just rewatched the Princess Bride a couple days ago so I couldn't resist the reference.  I half-wonder if one of the bigger f*** you's Durance could level against Magran would be to be the architect of Eothas' revival.  Also, after watching that video, I imagine Durance taking the place of Miracle Max and being infinitely more ornery and sassy towards the Watcher.  

• Like 1

"It took the form of a metal sphere, twelve feet 

in diameter, full of volatile explosive reactants. 
Builders theorized that it would unleash more 
destruction than a fully-grown drake’s breath 

by  an  exponential  margin."

By that description it sounds a lot closer to a sizable car-bomb than a tactical nuke (and primarily chemical/alchemical based).

No reason to think that this wouldn't kill a "god made flesh" just as well. It would be enough to destroy anything biological for sure, and we don't really have any measure of what level of defense a god-avatar would have anyway. I think it's enough to conclude that it was an attack with a power of an order of magnitude above anything else available in the setting. Within the setting that seems more than sufficient and plausible enough.

-Stigma

It also killed half a regiment of knights. A regiment has 1000-2000 men.

Let's say IF Waidwen's army has 1000 men, and 500 of them also got killed by the Godhammer Bomb then, it must be a powerful bomb.

500 deaths is still quite a lot. These knights are also probably wearing armor. It also depend how cramped up they are during the explosion.

a sizable car-bomb

um... a fertiilzer bomb in a van took out an entire 10 story government building in Oklahoma once upon a time.

that was for reals.  not even involving magic/spirit/whatever.

I agree.

This is also a car bomb.