This may be a small thing, but I think we should stop referring to Pillars of Eternity as "PoE"

"PoE" to me, is always read as "Path of Exile" being that they have had the honour of this abbreviation for several years now.

So yeah, anything other would be more appropriate.

PoEt?

Pillars?

Edited by Uberwolfe
  • Like 1

PoE is a perfectly sound, logical abbreviation for the game "Pillars of Eternity", whose forum you're on. I can't believe this is being dragged up again.

Like I said, this problem exists outside of this website. I'm not stupid.

And also, I wasn't aware this had been brought up before. Sorry if I offended you.

• Like 1

PoE is a perfectly sound, logical abbreviation for the game "Pillars of Eternity", whose forum you're on. I can't believe this is being dragged up again.

Like I said, this problem exists outside of this website. I'm not stupid.

And also, I wasn't aware this had been brought up before. Sorry if I offended you.

I neither said nor insinuated that you were stupid. I did say, that on the Pillars of Eternity forums at least, it makes perfect sense to abbreviate it to PoE. You're expecting others to comply with your idea of what is "right".

I'd use context, personally.

Of course, and like I said this is a relatively small problem :)

But the problem extends beyond this website where the context is clear...

You must be hanging out on bluesnews ;)

I think this ship has sailed friend, too late now.

Edited by VioNectro

Acronyms are sorta fun, when I read FTW I still think "F*** the world" instead of "for the win" thanks to a Turbonegro song. I haven't played Path of Exile so PoE makes sense to me, but I can understand why someone who've played it might be annoyed by it. But PoE seems to have stuck and it do makes more sense than other acronyms (PE could work but some of the things that share that acronym isn't very flattering, albeit sort of funny...) even if there's another PoE out there. So we'll probably just have to adapt and accept that there's 2 different PoE out there now.

I agree, but I think it's too late.

Doesn't matter what we "decide" on the forums.  I, for one, won't refer to this game as poe.

I think you just did... :yes:

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Path of Exile: PoX.
Pillars of Eternity: PoE.

/shrug

Really couldn't care less how people chose to abbreviate as long as it makes sense. It's probably always going to be PoE for me.

[...] thanks to a Turbonegro [...]

Hey, hey, hey, hold it right there. That sounds racist and I'm possibly offended.

Not really, that name is hilarious. :lol:

t50aJUd.jpg

/shrug

Really couldn't care less how people chose to abbreviate as long as it makes sense. It's probably always going to be PoE for me.

Hey, hey, hey, hold it right there. That sounds racist and I'm possibly offended.

Feel free to read the entry about their name on wikipedia, I did get a laugh out of it  :biggrin:

• Like 1

/shrug

Feel free to read the entry about their name on wikipedia, I did get a laugh out of it  :biggrin:

I've heard about the band before, but I did actually go to check it out, because I had never put any thought into it before. So been there, done that. :p

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

That's not how it works, Luckmann. Path of Exile long-predates Pillars, and is already called PoE in a larger gaming context. You say PoE outside of a website dedicated to it, they think you mean Path of Exile, not Pillars. Even of the subreddit for Pillars, it's caused confusion. You can't go back in time and retroactively change that (or can you!!!? If so we need to hear more!).

Of course PoE for me always means Portal of Evil, from the long-shuttered portal site which used to link to awful websites (generally idiotic rather than disgusting), but times change.

As Cantousent says, context is what matters, because the goal of good-faith communication is essentially understanding, not "winning" or whatever. So here, PoE is fine. Elsewhere? It's a judgment call, but I'm going with Pillars and no-one has been confused yet.

• Like 1

There are only 26 letters in the English alphabet so chances are that any combination of 3 of them is already being used for something. With things that are named A of B, this is probably even worse since you only have 676 possibilities and some letters are much more likely to occur at the beginning of a word than others. Like Cantousent says, you need to use context -- Pillars of Eternity is sufficiently different from Path of Exile that using the same acronym should not result in confusion.

• Like 1

I tend to just refer to it as Pillars for short.  Just the way I roll, now excuse me I need to disappear back into the game... :D

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

This is a bit ridiculous, why cant PoE refer to both?

OP can refer to original poster and overpowered!

Don't be silly if you do that there will be nothing to complain about!  :disguise:

• Like 3

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...