It all depends. The one thing with rogues is you want to max criticials, and you want to do a lot of damage with that critical.

given that rogues do lots of crit, borresaine converting crits to stuns is really good. 

I would pick borresaine for RR. 

but I personally like the arbalest I found on level 11 or 12 of endless od nua

first character I added to my party at the first inn was a ranged rogue with good stealth and mechanics, and the cripple and blind abilities.

either persistence or boressaine does well, though in my case I got a weird version of borresaine that does double damage.  it actually was too overpowered, so I put it away in my inventory and chose persistence instead.

being able to switch targets quickly and always manage to get an interrupting attack off that does good damage made this character invaluable until I hit level 7 or so.

nearly any disabling spell gives your rogue sneak attacks, so you do good damage, even with a hunting bow, and much, much faster than with an arbalest.

I was happy with that.  also gave her escape and the invisibility skill, as well as the hood that casts charm, and she became very versatile and deadly, and very rarely ever got into trouble.  could lay traps anywhere, start a fight by charming the most powerful member of a mob (ogre druid now on your side), or just sit back and disable one target after another.

very useful.  I felt the ranged rogue was at least as powerful a ranged character as a ranger, if not moreso.  seems to hit a plateu at around level 8 though.  plus, I left her at an inn once, and on retrieval she had the "no more talkie" bug.  will probably create another one after I finish most of the companion quests.

Edited by Ichthyic

first character I added to my party at the first inn was a ranged rogue with good stealth and mechanics, and the cripple and blind abilities.

either persistence or boressaine does well, though in my case I got a weird version of borresaine that does double damage.  it actually was too overpowered, so I put it away in my inventory and chose persistence instead.

being able to switch targets quickly and always manage to get an interrupting attack off that does good damage made this character invaluable until I hit level 7 or so.

nearly any disabling spell gives your rogue sneak attacks, so you do good damage, even with a hunting bow, and much, much faster than with an arbalest.

I was happy with that.  also gave her escape and the invisibility skill, as well as the hood that casts charm, and she became very versatile and deadly, and very rarely ever got into trouble.  could lay traps anywhere, start a fight by charming the most powerful member of a mob (ogre druid now on your side), or just sit back and disable one target after another.

very useful.  I felt the ranged rogue was at least as powerful a ranged character as a ranger, if not moreso.  seems to hit a plateu at around level 8 though.  plus, I left her at an inn once, and on retrieval she had the "no more talkie" bug.  will probably create another one after I finish most of the companion quests.

Why did it feel like she was hitting a plateau?  How did this manifest?  I'm curious because I was thinking of going with a ranged rogue on my second run through the game.

Pretty sure a ranged rogue does work well with a bow. Just take the appropriate talents and you should be doing fine. Using an arbaleste/a pistol would yield more damage, but seeing how you aim your rogue at being a dps/support hyprid, a bow should do it's work. Especially if it stuns on crit, which you Rogue will do more often than not during the later stages of the game.

ranged rogue dosn't work great with bows, especially vs enemies with high dr. better take arbalest or firearms. 

Actually, there's an argument against firearms here.  The problem with guns vs bows/xbows is that guns are limited to an 8m range for the blunderbuss and 10m for pistols and arqabus, whereas bows/xbows have a 12m range.  Where this factors into the equation is when you want to fire that first shot of an engagement as a rogue, you'd really like to be behind your front line tanks so that the enemy will charge after them and not you.  Thus, arming your front liners with the shorter ranged weapons while your rogue hides behind them with a 12m range weapon lets you take the shot without suddenly becoming the target of every charging enemy.

So, if you want the best of both worlds, long range and high damage, then an arbalest would seem like the perfect mix.

Just an observation.

Pretty sure a ranged rogue does work well with a bow. Just take the appropriate talents and you should be doing fine. Using an arbaleste/a pistol would yield more damage, but seeing how you aim your rogue at being a dps/support hyprid, a bow should do it's work. Especially if it stuns on crit, which you Rogue will do more often than not during the later stages of the game.

Still the dmg is too low. His only job would be stunning ememies. kinda suck if you consider that rogue should deal some dmg. If you want dps/support, better take ranged cipher.

Rogue with bow is a wasted potential fo that class.

ranged rogue dosn't work great with bows, especially vs enemies with high dr. better take arbalest or firearms. 

Actually, there's an argument against firearms here.  The problem with guns vs bows/xbows is that guns are limited to an 8m range for the blunderbuss and 10m for pistols and arqabus, whereas bows/xbows have a 12m range.  Where this factors into the equation is when you want to fire that first shot of an engagement as a rogue, you'd really like to be behind your front line tanks so that the enemy will charge after them and not you.  Thus, arming your front liners with the shorter ranged weapons while your rogue hides behind them with a 12m range weapon lets you take the shot without suddenly becoming the target of every charging enemy.

So, if you want the best of both worlds, long range and high damage, then an arbalest would seem like the perfect mix.

Just an observation.

10m is good enough. even 8 is not a problem. Played that on potd and I saw no problem. I know a lot of people prefer arbalest because of prone but pistols or blunderbuss are still better than bow for rogue.