I just noticed that the Outworn Buckler gives +5 Defense (all) to EVERY PARTY MEMBER.

Is it supposed to do that? Because, damn.  

How can anyone in their right mind try to ship a multimillion dollar product without making absolutely sure that they don't upset all their players with a degree in Medieval English Linguistics?

• 1 month later...

It is indeed amazing and unexpected that it applies to the whole party. I determined it was an upgrade over a large shield thinking the defenses only applied to the paladin. And despite its description, it seems to work regardless of your order, because my paladin is not Darkozzi.

BUT... I had an experience in combat that makes me question whether it stacks when it matters. I was fighting Will O Wisps, which are a bit weird granted, as they seem to steal your buffs on top of confusing you. But when I checked in combat on the character screen, it indicated that other defense boosts from items were being suppressed by the Worn Buckler effect. When I exited combat and checked again, the Worn Buckler effect was still listed, but the other defense effects from items no longer had Suppressed written next to them.

I will do more testing, but does this match anyone else's experience?

I read that thread Fessels, but it doesn't answer if the Outworn Buckler effect being group wide is intended (the developer who answered is from a different team), or whether it's intended that it suppresses items that raise defenses once you enter combat. Considering that it does suppress, I think the ability is not overpowered and no change needs to be made.

PS I have checked in other fights: the suppression as listed on each character sheet with defense-raising items who are in range of Outworn Buckler is consistent.

Edited by Nobear

I read that thread Fessels, but it doesn't answer if the Outworn Buckler effect being group wide is intended (the developer who answered is from a different team), or whether it's intended that it suppresses items that raise defenses once you enter combat. Considering that it does suppress, I think the ability is not overpowered and no change needs to be made.

PS I have checked in other fights: the suppression as listed on each character sheet with defense-raising items who are in range of Outworn Buckler is consistent.

I agree that the optimal balance for the Outworn Buckler is providing the +5 to all defenses party wide but unable to stack with other gear providing the same bonuses. However, it should be clearly shown to players when the bonus is being suppressed, not just in combat. The mechanics used in Pillars of Eternity are confusing enough without the game basically lying to you.

That is true. Your character sheet out of combat should tell you what to expect when you go into combat. You shouldn't have to pause combat just to check your character sheet for something that should be in effect all the time.

No I do not believe it is not overpowered as well, It is just that I was surprised to see it do what it does, so I asked whether it was by design. I guess we will just have to wait and see what other developers will let us know about Outworn Buckler.

I did some testing on this topic.

Here are defensive stats on my Paladin (Deflection/Fortitude/Reflex/Will):

Small shield, no other stat boosting items - 57/13/44/60

Stat boosting rings  - 62/18/49/65

Stat boosting rings AND Outworn Buckler - 67/23/54/70

Stat boosting rings AND Outworn Buckler (combat, initial) - 67/23/54/70

Stat boosting rings AND Outworn Buckler (combat, 7/14/14/14 faith and conviction bonus active) - 74/37/68/84

And the defensive stats on a Monk in the party:

No stat boosting items - 19/60/30/26

Stat boosting rings - 24/65/35/31

Stat boosting rings AND Outworn Buckler on Paladin - 29/70/40/36

Stat boosting rings AND Outworn Buckler on Paladin (combat) - 29/70/40/36

I'm definitely not seeing these stat bonuses suppressing each other. I've also checked the character screen and nothing is showing up as suppressed. I even got my Paladin repeatedly confused by a Wisp and the stats never seemed to change from the 74/37/68/84 I had in combat.

The only thing noteworthy I've seen is that the bonus stats from Outworn Buckler only apply within a modest radius. Using the first preset formation my Paladin in the front just barely covers the whole party; even moving her slightly forward or sideways causes one character in the back to lose the defense bonus. I'm not sure if INT affects the radius covered by the Outworn Buckler, but I'm guessing not (my Paladin has 18 INT). I would consider this radius of effect a strong sign that the bonus applying to the party was intended by the developers.

Edited by HoopleDoople

Hoople, first of all I did not know that Faith and Conviction only became active sometime into combat. I hope it's soon, like within a second of starting? I guess that means my effective defenses are higher than I thought they were.

Second, which version are you playing on which platform, and is it Steam, GoG or Mac App Store? I'm playing 1.0.6 Mac GoG version. It seems there are minor inconsistencies between the versions. They ought to do a better job of keeping them consistent, although I am not a developer so I don't know how much of a challenge this is.

Hoople, first of all I did not know that Faith and Conviction only became active sometime into combat. I hope it's soon, like within a second of starting? I guess that means my effective defenses are higher than I thought they were.

Second, which version are you playing on which platform, and is it Steam, GoG or Mac App Store? I'm playing 1.0.6 Mac GoG version. It seems there are minor inconsistencies between the versions. They ought to do a better job of keeping them consistent, although I am not a developer so I don't know how much of a challenge this is.

Regarding Faith and Conviction it activates very quickly, in fact it's next thing to instant. The only way I can catch it not being active during combat is through auto-pause.

I'm playing on steam version 1.0.6.0617. There was an update today that may have been only for steam. I checked on perception, which people had mentioned was erroneously saying it boosted accuracy, and it is showing the normal stat boots (again?). It is entirely possible this update fixed the Outworn Buckler as well as whatever the last hotfix broke.

Edited by HoopleDoople