Well, petrify is leaps and bounds ahead of any other debuff in the game. Nothing comes even close. 4x damage and a huge deflection debuff is a deathsentence, to friend and foe alike.

I just beat the adra dragon on POTD, after about 30 attempts of promising myself that I wouldn´t join the "dark side" I finally realized that since the adra dragon doesn´t fight fair either, why should I?

So, I took armor off all my guys, put down 6 petrify traps in a line, and lured the dragon into them. After he was petrified, I had druid cast hailstorm, priest cast pillar, wizard cast minolettas concussive missiles, and barb cast jolting touch(from boots). It died instantly.

POTD adra is obviously designed to be unbeatable by conventional standards, and petrify is that answer. But the real question is, why does a debuff quadrupple your damage taken? Should it not be something along the lines of double?

I just kept the dragon confused. Petrify isnt required. Neither are traps. Just because youre not very good doesnt mean the dragon is an impossible challenge. Of course now you'll probably just say confuse is too powerful and obviously not "conventional" for some ridiculous reason.

That being said petrify is the ultimate debuff and is practically instakill. There are still 6 spell levels to go in the wizards spell book... Where do Obs go from there?

Edited by Shdy314
  • Like 1

Just because youre not very good doesnt mean the dragon is an impossible challenge. Of course now you'll probably just say confuse is too powerful and obviously not "conventional" for some ridiculous reason.

Facepalm.jpg

<insert stupid image because I have no thoughts of my own>

Was there something in particular you disagreed with? Because the original poster decided the Adra Dragon was in their own words "unbeatable" by "conventional" tactics which is hilariously untrue. It has high defenses and does high damage. Thats all it has going for it outside of the mobs that join the fight but because you cant auto attack it to death people keep claiming it's cheating or cheese filled or other nonsense. Therefore it would not be surprising to me if they are then foolish enough to find the use of any debuff, like confusion, to be "unconventional."

As such the OP's argument that petrify is leaps and bound beyond other debuffs was highly flawed. It rested on them using 6 traps and then using the barbarian with jolting boots combo to own adra dragon which is a whole other issue entirely.

Ultimately I agree that petrify is nearly an insta-kill but it is not leaps and bounds beyond the other disables like prone and paralyzed. It is better than them in that foes take increased damage beyond the extra damage decreased defenses bring but it is a higher level debuff so that is not entirely unexpected. So unless your picture was supposed to represent you having a headache due to your ignorance maybe next time try understanding what is being said.

• Like 2

Wizards are the most CC focused class in the game, makes sense that their highest level debuff would be the strongest debuff in the game.

Stacking a bunch of traps OTOH is still as cheesy as it was in Throne of Bhaal, and unless the AI get some massive uppgrade to keep it from walking into them (and actually smart AI is super hard, so very unlikely) it always will be.

• Like 1

Just because youre not very good doesnt mean the dragon is an impossible challenge. Of course now you'll probably just say confuse is too powerful and obviously not "conventional" for some ridiculous reason.

Facepalm.jpg

Was there something in particular you disagreed with? Because the original poster decided the Adra Dragon was in their own words "unbeatable" by "conventional" tactics which is hilariously untrue. It has high defenses and does high damage. Thats all it has going for it outside of the mobs that join the fight but because you cant auto attack it to death people keep claiming it's cheating or cheese filled or other nonsense. Therefore it would not be surprising to me if they are then foolish enough to find the use of any debuff, like confusion, to be "unconventional."

As such the OP's argument that petrify is leaps and bound beyond other debuffs was highly flawed. It rested on them using 6 traps and then using the barbarian with jolting boots combo to own adra dragon which is a whole other issue entirely.

Ultimately I agree that petrify is nearly an insta-kill but it is not leaps and bounds beyond the other disables like prone and paralyzed. It is better than them in that foes take increased damage beyond the extra damage decreased defenses bring but it is a higher level debuff so that is not entirely unexpected. So unless your picture was supposed to represent you having a headache due to your ignorance maybe next time try understanding what is being said.

If you have an effective way of dealing with the adra dragon on POTD, please share. Also 6 traps was just to make a point, it was unnessesary as the first one triggered. Meanwhile jolting touch is not OP when used against singletarget, as no splash targets are available!

Effective way of dealing with adra dragon:

-Buff your accuracy

-Cast CC (petrify is the best but other types will work too, both wiz and druid have petrify)

-Proceed to win

Wood elf cipher can get like 148 accuracy on his spells for instance (potentially even more) with buffs.

Edited by MadDemiurg

Effective way of dealing with adra dragon:

-Buff your accuracy

-Cast CC (petrify is the best but other types will work too, both wiz and druid have petrify)

-Proceed to win

Wood elf cipher can get like 148 accuracy on his spells for instance (potentially even more) with buffs.

But the point still stands: You have to perma-CC the adra dragon, otherwise it will 1-shot non-tank with it´s breath/stomp, which is unavoidable. I would like to see someone keeping the AD permastunned while dealing with the adds - without petrify - on POTD.

I will hold my breath :p

Do I really need to create party and beat the dragon so you will not die from suffocation?

Just a side note. Seems to me there are lots of RPG newbies around. That is a good thing. However, their ignorance of how these kind of games work is just astounding.

Dont you worry half of them already aiming for triple crown , god bless the quit game cheat i guess

Do I really need to create party and beat the dragon so you will not die from suffocation?

Just a side note. Seems to me there are lots of RPG newbies around. That is a good thing. However, their ignorance of how these kind of games work is just astounding.

Don´t mind if you do!

The picture was over you randomly insulting the OP. And now you're randomly insulting me.

Double facepalm.

You dont know what random means. Which hilariously makes my mockery of you even less random.

• Like 1

You dont know what random means. Which hilariously makes my mockery of you even less random.

Stop insulting people please. Not everyone is a star player like you. And personally, I would expect to be able to defeat a dragon without using every little trick in the game if I can steamroll the final boss. E.g. it's not that strange that people find the Adra Dragon way too hard to beat.

So again, it's not necessary to insult them for lack of skills nor is it necessary to insult people who're basically telling you that you're insulting people. 

Anyway, I am glad I had some petrify traps on me. After a dozen tries I went 'f*** this' and had the precise thought OP has: If you're going to cheat, I'm going to cheat.

Placed the trap, watched as it got petrified for a lousy 7 seconds, cursed because 7 seconds wouldn't be enough... then practically disintegrated the thing within 3 seconds in an all out desperate attack.

After being instakilled by that thing for a dozen times it felt incredibly good to reverse the instakilling for a change!

Stop insulting people please.

Native english speakers use the word "insult" in a pretty inflationary way. He wasn´t insulting the OP.

But I don´t know why I even bother. Last time I was in the USA, the waiter came to our table every f.... two minutes ans asked if everything was FINE while smiling in this phoney fashion of hers. I guess just saying your opinion without a phoney "I think you have a very good point, but dare i present my point of view"-introduction is already seen as an insult, lol.

Native english speakers use the word "insult" in a pretty inflationary way. He wasn´t insulting the OP.

I consider telling someone he's not a good player and giving ridiculous reasons is at the very least arrogant and rude. Who's he to judge?

Maybe I'm too sensitive about it, but there are friendlier ways of telling people they should adjust their strategies.

• Like 2

I consider telling someone he's not a good player and giving ridiculous reasons is at the very least arrogant and rude. Who's he to judge?

Yes, you are too senstivie (is this another insult btw?), but this is nothing you should worry about. It is a cultural thing. Most english speaking conturies have zero tolerance for "tough talk" and see everything beyond a phoney smile as  insulting.

Most continental europeans, especially germans and eastern europeans, would see this kind of response  ("You are not a good player") as "unfriendly", but NEVER as an INSULT (e.g. "You are a dumb player").

Edited by Valeris

Stop insulting people please. Not everyone is a star player like you. And personally, I would expect to be able to defeat a dragon without using every little trick in the game if I can steamroll the final boss. E.g. it's not that strange that people find the Adra Dragon way too hard to beat.

So again, it's not necessary to insult them for lack of skills nor is it necessary to insult people who're basically telling you that you're insulting people. 

Anyway, I am glad I had some petrify traps on me. After a dozen tries I went 'f*** this' and had the precise thought OP has: If you're going to cheat, I'm going to cheat.

Placed the trap, watched as it got petrified for a lousy 7 seconds, cursed because 7 seconds wouldn't be enough... then practically disintegrated the thing within 3 seconds in an all out desperate attack.

After being instakilled by that thing for a dozen times it felt incredibly good to reverse the instakilling for a change!

Lol, exactly.

Oh I am sure that there ways to beat it. I´m under the impression that the breath/stomp hits the entire screen regardless of your position, but perhaps there is a small safe zone behind it. Also, I dislike crafting potions and scrolls, but I know that paralyze, revive and maelstrom scrolls are very good. I just never bothered, since I never needed them.

• Like 1

Lol, exactly.

Oh I am sure that there ways to beat it. I´m under the impression that the breath/stomp hits the entire screen regardless of your position, but perhaps there is a small safe zone behind it. Also, I dislike crafting potions and scrolls, but I know that paralyze, revive and maelstrom scrolls are very good. I just never bothered, since I never needed them.

Paralyze can work I guess, but I even failed at that. Best I did was bring its health down to about 30%. >_>

I tried keeping it paralyzed but got my party insta-killed several times after the dragon snapped out of its paralyzation for even a second.

Confusion and Slicken are also not always reliable in my experience. More often than not the dragon was unaffected. Unlucky? Dunno.

Add to this all the enemies that swarm you, kept half my team occupied with them.

I am very curious what the developers intended with this thing, how they bring it down. Do they have a perfect strategy or do they all use Gaze of the Adragan traps as well? :p

That is the thing that you, OP and quite a few others think this, and other mechanics in the game, is cheating. It is not. Its legitimate. That is why you are newbies.

Edited by knownastherat

That is the thing that you, OP and quite a few others think this, and other mechanics in the game, is cheating. It is not. Its legitimate. That is why you are newbies.

Of course we are newbies, the game has been out for too short a time for anyone to ´be a pro´. So that includes you as well. That being said, having played (and completed) all of the BG1, IWD series, ToEE, NWN1+2 and most of their expansions, and the whole DA series, D:OS, usually on hard or higher and multiple times, I do consider myself rather experienced. Whats your criteria?

I don´t think that it´s cheating at all. I just think that it´s overpowered. I like it when combat takes on the approach of multiple solutions to a problem, since it keeps the game fresh and more interesting. But as it is, petrification traps are just much easier than any other solution right now.

I mean it´s human nature to skip the fence.

Edited by cavemandiary
  • Like 1

They should adjust or fix adra dragon's breath attack, damage comes out before it breath out, making it mostly imposible to dodge, if this could be change then the fight will be a whole lot better, otherwise overpowered or not, you still have cc it.

Or you can just finish its quest to avoid combat, that's a way to deal with adra dragon too :geek: 

Edited by Emeus