Random crashes followed by persistent graphic and control bugs

Wiggum Esquilax

Question

My game crashes predictably unpredictably.  It crashes during battle, when paused, when on the map screen, and during character creation.  Crashes usually occur after somewhere between 20-60 minutes of play.

Crashes can take the form of a blue screen of death.

They can also occur as one or all of a high pitched prolonged audio screech, the game screen itself teleporting around my monitor 1-3 times, graphic artifacts, and a standard windows "program has stopped working" followed by a quit to desktop.  I am thereafter forced to restart, as graphic artifacts and control errors infect my web browser until I do so.

The problem occurred both before and after I updated my drivers, both before and after I re-installed Pillars.  I have not performed a clean install of Windows.

4 saved games from several different (brief) campaigns, from before the re-install:

And 2 saves from after the re-install, from the same campaign:

Thank you for your time, I really want to play this game.

output_log.txt

DxDiag.txt

9 answers to this question

Sorry for lack of followup but I've been busy elsewhere (BTW I'm not a developer or an Obsidiman - they get special banners under their usernames...) and I couldn't really make out much from the logs you uploaded (only one had the output_log.txt and the related error details seemed to suggest something odd with memory usage - PoE using 0 bytes which could have been an overheating issue).

If you haven't already done so, it may be worth installing some termperature monitoring software - for the CPU I'd suggest CoreTemp but don't download the "standard" installer with InstallQ adware - use these direct links instead for the 64-bit version (this is the version you want) or 32-bit version (for anyone running 32-bit Windows versions). For the GPU, I'd suggest MSI Afterburner. Both are free, both can provide temperature graphs (CoreTemp requires the Grapher plugin for this) and MSI Afterburner allows you to set up a fan profile so you can improve cooling by increasing fan speed as GPU temperature rises.

Edited by AstralWanderer

Welcome to the forums Wiggum,

The output_log file lists a stack overflow error at the end. While your (Nvidia) graphics card drivers look up-to-date your (Realtek) sound card drivers are 2012 vintage, so I would suggest updating these. Given your mention of a screeching sound, these seem the most likely cause of your problem.

If the Realtek driver update doesn't help, try disabling the sound (best to disable the Realtek in Device Manager) to see if that stops the crashing. If crashes continue, then something else is to blame.

Edited by AstralWanderer

The output_log file lists a stack overflow error at the end. While your (Nvidia) graphics card drivers look up-to-date your (Realtek) sound card drivers are 2012 vintage, so I would suggest updating these. Given your mention of a screeching sound, these seem the most likely cause of your problem.

If the Realtek driver update doesn't help, try disabling the sound (best to disable the Realtek in Device Manager) to see if that stops the crashing. If crashes continue, then something else is to blame.

Thank you!  That actually did help, though my bug appears to be bug(s).  I can now play the game for what's so far been over 2 hours prior to crashing.

I've still been hit with one BSOD, and one crash to desktop followed by persistent graphic bugs.  Not of the standard Windows close the program variety though.  The game gave me an error file to give to you, something that I'm going to assume is a standard feature of Unity?  Also, it has happened before, something that I may have forgotten to mention in my original post.  Here's the dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/78pf64sy07uvxzc/2015-04-11_132322.zip?dl=0

Thank you for your help, and your patience.

Here's the links to the files Windows told me might explain the BSOD problem, hoping they're worth something:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqgyh64st7oz6m5/041215-19843-01.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltmwyr7nn1eemdc/WER-61869-0.sysdata.zip?dl=0

I suspect that I've ventures outside the realm of PoE tech support responsibilities, but any additional help would be welcome.

Edited by Wiggum Esquilax

Sorry for lack of followup but I've been busy elsewhere (BTW I'm not a developer or an Obsidiman - they get special banners under their usernames...) and I couldn't really make out much from the logs you uploaded (only one had the output_log.txt and the related error details seemed to suggest something odd with memory usage - PoE using 0 bytes which could have been an overheating issue).

If you haven't already done so, it may be worth installing some termperature monitoring software - for the CPU I'd suggest CoreTemp but don't download the "standard" installer with InstallQ adware - use these direct links instead for the 64-bit version (this is the version you want) or 32-bit version (for anyone running 32-bit Windows versions). For the GPU, I'd suggest MSI Afterburner. Both are free, both can provide temperature graphs (CoreTemp requires the Grapher plugin for this) and MSI Afterburner allows you to set up a fan profile so you can improve cooling by increasing fan speed as GPU temperature rises.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I have the exact same problem as the OP and not seem to be able to find the solution.

It's definitely not overheating, at least for me. 

Also after the game crahes I can't relaunch it. Restarting the pc fixes it so I'd wager it's some service crashing during gameplay, but I just can't figure out which.

Using windows 7 x64.

Edited by Bleak

Hello Bleak,

Could you please upload an output log and a system spec file? You can find the location of those files by clicking on my link in my signature. Most likely it could be a driver issue and/or you need to verify your game files in steam. Please make sure your graphics card is up to date and verify your game cache. 

Thanks a bunch!