So, here is a little cheese that I just discovered, and wanted to share with you:

You only need two things:

1) A doorway, or something that can be blocked

2) A priest

Block the hallway with any char (doesn´t matter which), then cast Withdraw on them. They are now effectively immune to everything, but they still have a hitbox meaning that will continue to block the door. Feel free to unleash all your level 4-6 spells on the poor suckers frantically trying to get past.. :p

So, here is a little cheese that I just discovered, and wanted to share with you:

You only need two things:

1) A doorway, or something that can be blocked

2) A priest

Block the hallway with any char (doesn´t matter which), then cast Withdraw on them. They are now effectively immune to everything, but they still have a hitbox meaning that will continue to block the door. Feel free to unleash all your level 4-6 spells on the poor suckers frantically trying to get past.. :p

This is no more cheesy than putting a full tank paladin in the doorway, If you want to see real cheese do the same thing with a chanter and their summons. three wurms can block not just doorways but entire corridors :p because you can replace them every 16 seconds you can pretty much just hang back and kill everything from range

I thought about this but didn't try it because didn't feel the need in my party run. But I think it's a way to solo with a priest and a summon, albeit an exploity one.

i prefer to think of it as tactical, I mean i could never solo with my chanter without some tactical blocking

I thought about this but didn't try it because didn't feel the need in my party run. But I think it's a way to solo with a priest and a summon, albeit an exploity one.

i prefer to think of it as tactical, I mean i could never solo with my chanter without some tactical blocking

As far as I am concerned, beating the game solo on POTD demands some respect, regardless of how you do it.

Yeah, withdraw should really make the character intangible as well as invisible - unless this exploit is part of the intended usage of the spell (doubtful).

I'm 99% certain it's intentional, otherwise the spell is useless because the fight is over before the character is healed.

Yeah, withdraw should really make the character intangible as well as invisible - unless this exploit is part of the intended usage of the spell (doubtful).

I'm 99% certain it's intentional, otherwise the spell is useless because the fight is over before the character is healed.

It prevents a character from dying. The dragon about to breathe fire on poor Aloth? NOT TODAY.

• Like 1

I keep reading about exploits, cheese and cheap and shake my head. What to say? Perhaps that the game does not come with list of what is proper and whatnot and history does not ask. From where I sit, its clever because why to do it the hard way? Because I am the man and can handle the truth! I know what the designer had in mind. She talks to me during my mediations. She told me: You are the chosen and you are to glorify the truth! The true way to play. Alright whatever. Bug section -> that way. 

I keep reading about exploits, cheese and cheap and shake my head. What to say? Perhaps that the game does not come with list of what is proper and whatnot and history does not ask. From where I sit, its clever because why to do it the hard way? Because I am the man and can handle the truth! I know what the designer had in mind. She talks to me during my mediations. She told me: You are the chosen and you are to glorify the truth! The true way to play. Alright whatever. Bug section -> that way. 

I don't think anyone is frowning on them, i do think there is a line between tactical use of ingame mecahnics (doorways etc) and abusing bugs. For example quiting midcombat and reloading for a trial of iron game is clearly exploiting a flaw in the saving process, blocking the doorway with unlimited summons while cheesy is clearly not breaking the game.

Its like with hookers, whores or prostitutes. They are called sex workers now, like social workers. It is against reinforcing prejudices by using pejorative terminology. 

Doorways are part of mechanic so is spell. That someone asks: Well, if the subject to spell is "invisible" how can it be impenetrable? Is question without context. In magic world anything is possible. Besides, its not only invisible its protected by Statis Shield 999999 pt. How is blocking door like that pejorative? If I had a shield like that I block door just for fun, let alone when under attack ;) Cmon

---

edit: Note that there are people editing local game files for whatever purpose. Which seems to be fine with devs. Personally I don't care. The game is to have fun. What is not cheap?

Edited by knownastherat

Indeed.

edit: Games like this one revolve around manipulating AI, sometimes called tactics, at least on higher difficulties. This is like a puzzle with several ways to solve it. Not dynamically adapting behavior of multiplayer PvP where the real challenge is. This is playing chess against machine. That machine is stupid ..  

Edited by knownastherat

I think mixing more ranged enemies (especially casters) into the encounters would make doorways less op.

They should add some things that allow enemies to force through as well. Perhaps a prone character should allow hostiles to bypass, for example. And/or some melee enemies could just have knock-backs.

Some cheeses in this game are kinda breaking, but a fair number of them count as "clever use of game mechanics" and are definitely encouraged. This would be the latter, IMO. The character is basically sealed inside a cloaking forcefield. 

Like using 6 custom min/maxed characters?

Game breaking in single player game can only be feature which prevents player from doing something. The game, as far as we know, does not care if someone is breaking her or not. If player feels feature is too powerful or is uncomfortable with it for whatever reason player is free not to use it. There is no such a thing as game breaking if its not forced upon player. Unless player would break it for her/him self in which case ...

I'm 99% certain it's only here because devs didn't want to start poking around with letting characters walk straight through each other due to technical implications. Also I've had plenty of battles last long enough for that spell to end, but I never use it like this, it feels so dirty.

Edited by omgFIREBALLS

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Otiluke's Resilient Sphere - This spell causes victim to save vs. spell if unsuccessful target creature is imprisoned in a sphere immune to all damage incapable of affecting outside world as much as outside world is incapable of affecting trapped being. Sphere can be destroyed with Dispel Magic - http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Otiluke%27s_Resilient_Sphere

No its normal 100% sure.

Was that for me? If so, I'm not arguing against the spell's existence, just the idea that the intended purpose of the spell is to create impassable, invulnerable walls.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

I think it's ok, conceptually you just put an impenetrable barrier around someone, it doesn't make sense to be able to walk through it.  If you could doorway every fight in the game then maybe there would be an issue, but I'm pretty sure you can't, and if you could then this spell wouldn't be the main issue.

Sacrificial Lamb

Use a ranger's pet to block the doorway. Even when it's knocked out it still blocks ! Works great against big monsters.

Monsters should automatically do trampling damage to fallen party members, and for pets it could be maiming. It should be your worry to not place bodies in their path, not opportunity.

• Like 2

Sacrificial Lamb

Use a ranger's pet to block the doorway. Even when it's knocked out it still blocks ! Works great against big monsters.

Monsters should automatically do trampling damage to fallen party members, and for pets it could be maiming. It should be your worry to not place bodies in their path, not opportunity.

I cant imagine how much grief that would cause, given ai pathing is as it is i would hate for half my party to die permanently because some ai kept walking over them, like its not as if i could crawl out the way or anything. I wasnt aware of the ranger pet being able to do this but this is one cheese i would avoid as i think it crosses the line from abusing in game mechanics into a flat out exploit

• Like 1