PowerGaming min/max Path of damn.. Cave-topic

Well the story goes like this. I read wiki, I go on mah first play-through on path of the Damned, I meet mr. Adra Dragon on party level 9-10, I cannot win, I have to cheese him with petrify trap. I don't want to play anymore cause mah **** party can't kill a dragon in fair fight. I hadn't any difficulties before the dragon.

My party setup was stupid, cause I went 2 paladins 2 chanters for some buff hoarding, but things like +3 DR, are useless on last difficulty. I want to restart but I don’t know how to face that dragon in fair fight.

My setup was:

2x Paladin (max Per, Int, Res) with shield and some random toothpick. Maxing out deflection and other defences.

2x Chanter ( max Might, Dex, Int ). 1 constant reload song, other frightened and + 10 def song. One Arbalest other Arquebuse (Marksman, Gunman, Weap. Foc. Soldier)

1x Priest ( max Might, Dex, Int ). Arbalest. (Marksman, Gunman, Weap. Foc. Soldier)

1x Ranger (max Might, Dex, Per). Arbalest (Marksman, Gunman, Weap. Foc. Soldier, Swift Aim+steady)

It was micro easy, unkillable Pallies and easy to focus fire death squad. I preferred ranger over extra dps rogue, because of animal companion, which helps to spread agro in places where there is no natural chokepoint, I preferred more versatile over more dps. My party has overall low con.

--

The mr. Adra Dragon. (It’s probably stats without difficulty bonuses, so he is lil more badass ingame)

Endurance 600

Rh 36-55 best Slash/Pierce

Lh 36-55 best Slash/Pierce

Deflection 133, Fortitude 136, Reflex 112, Will 116

DR 28

Slash 21, Burn 35, Freeze 21, Shock 42

He hits like a truck, crits a lot, wing aoe Insta-Kills everybody in my party. He is hard to hit, and the damage is awlays heavily reduced. I’m looking for tips how to face him like a man, sort of like mah kensai/mage bg2 superman.

Preferably:

-No noob_cheese_traps

-No pre fight summons, priest seals, buffs.

-Not  using any potions/foods/scrolls during whole playtrough.

-No lame kiting

-lvl cca 10

----

I’m looking for party tips-discussion, I hadn’t had the best setup, but the game is super easy (except the Adra Dragon, ofc. I haven’t played beyond defiance bay much), so the party that could handle the dragon face to face is probably strong enough for everything else.

The only thing that comes to my mind is 5x Ranger, 1xChanter (for reload song). All ranged, and tanking with one Animal Companion at a time. But it probably wouldn’t be enough with his deflection and Endurance pool. I'm aware that there are some lvl 12 spells that if the roll was high could win this fight, but it's level 12 and save scum reliant.

Well the story goes like this. I read wiki, I go on mah first play-through on path of the Damned, I meet mr. Adra Dragon on party level 9-10, I cannot win, I have to cheese him with petrify trap. I don't want to play anymore cause mah **** party can't kill a dragon in fair fight. I hadn't any difficulties before the dragon.

My party setup was stupid, cause I went 2 paladins 2 chanters for some buff hoarding, but things like +3 DR, are useless on last difficulty. I want to restart but I don’t know how to face that dragon in fair fight.

My setup was:

2x Paladin (max Per, Int, Res) with shield and some random toothpick. Maxing out deflection and other defences.

2x Chanter ( max Might, Dex, Int ). 1 constant reload song, other frightened and + 10 def song. One Arbalest other Arquebuse (Marksman, Gunman, Weap. Foc. Soldier)

1x Priest ( max Might, Dex, Int ). Arbalest. (Marksman, Gunman, Weap. Foc. Soldier)

1x Ranger (max Might, Dex, Per). Arbalest (Marksman, Gunman, Weap. Foc. Soldier, Swift Aim+steady)

It was micro easy, unkillable Pallies and easy to focus fire death squad. I preferred ranger over extra dps rogue, because of animal companion, which helps to spread agro in places where there is no natural chokepoint, I preferred more versatile over more dps. My party has overall low con.

--

The mr. Adra Dragon. (It’s probably stats without difficulty bonuses, so he is lil more badass ingame)

Endurance 600

Rh 36-55 best Slash/Pierce

Lh 36-55 best Slash/Pierce

Deflection 133, Fortitude 136, Reflex 112, Will 116

DR 28

Slash 21, Burn 35, Freeze 21, Shock 42

He hits like a truck, crits a lot, wing aoe Insta-Kills everybody in my party. He is hard to hit, and the damage is awlays heavily reduced. I’m looking for tips how to face him like a man, sort of like mah kensai/mage bg2 superman.

Preferably:

-No noob_cheese_traps

-No lame kiting

-lvl cca 10

----

I’m looking for party tips-discussion, I hadn’t had the best setup, but the game is super easy (except the Adra Dragon, ofc. I haven’t played beyond defiance bay much), so the party that could handle the dragon face to face is probably strong enough for everything else.

The only thing that comes to my mind is 5x Ranger, 1xChanter (for reload song). All ranged, and tanking with one Animal Companion at a time. But it probably wouldn’t be enough with his deflection and Endurance pool. I'm aware that there are some lvl 12 spells that if the roll was high could win this fight, but it's level 12 and save scum reliant.

You should probably check out similar threads elsewhere as this topic has been done several times, I would highly recomend not doing 5 rangers and one chanter as you wont have any heals and once the pets die your dps will plummet. If anything I would go 5 chanters and 1 priest, priest for buffs and heals 5 chanters so you have a never ending supply of drakes, phantoms, wurms etc to throw at it. 1-3 phantoms should keep him stunned relatively well (havnt tried this myself yet) wurms can attack from a range and drakes are drakes lol

• Like 1

Power Rangers!

---

edit: Facing dragons like a man in BG2 Solo sorcerer

Load sequencer with Grater Malison and Ray of Enfeeblement

Load contingency - 3 x Lower Resistance

Start fight

Contingency triggered

Cast Sequencer

Cast Polymorph Other to turn dragon into squirrel and beat it up with staff

ktxbai

Edited by knownastherat
  • Like 1

Really ? Is there no one who figured out some OP combination, no dual wielding pistol monk or something? That's what no multicasting will do to your game, everything is vanilla and boring, on behalf of min maxing community I must say I'm offended :(, this is no spiritual successor of BG and IWD.

-

Mby heavy con fighter with a lot of deflection can tank for long enough, with some extra healing?

• Like 1

Preferably:

-No noob_cheese_traps

-No lame kiting

-lvl cca 10

That's 90% of Powergaming right there.

6x Envenom Exploit might work.

Edited by Incendax

Really ? Is there no one who figured out some OP combination, no dual wielding pistol monk or something? That's what no multicasting will do to your game, everything is vanilla and boring, on behalf of min maxing community I must say I'm offended :(, this is no spiritual successor of BG and IWD.

-

Mby heavy con fighter with a lot of deflection can tank for long enough, with some extra healing?

Said dual wielding pistol monk has around 81 accuracy, 84 with accuracy gloves, he could win with a bow, and some "lame kiting" (i beat the adra dragon this way), but he doesn't stand a chance otherwise, haha.  

Honestly the adra dragon isn't designed to be beat by legit tactics, his damage accuracy and defenses are all way to high (140 defense on hard), and don't forget about his terrify aura.

Edited by Climhazzard

everything is vanilla and boring

Now that's called "balance". If you want to blame something, blame mmos. There will be no more fun and sense of power in your single player games, because you'll need to compete for a place in some imaginary raid.

I'm not sure if paladin tanks are good enough on Potd, I'd stick to fighter.

I'm breeding through Potd with 2 warrior tanks, 2 DPS ranged pallys (Zealous Defense and Zealous Focus with Crit upgrade, Marksman, gunner, 20% lower ranged attack speed, more damage modal), wizard and priest.

*Breezing not breeding lol. Chanters are also great instead of the pallys, I just never remember to cast their abilities after 3 chants.

I managed to run a setup of 5 rangers and a cipher on hard. You have to position one of your pet companions to run up on his left side, while the rest of the party runs away. This will allow for time to deal with the trash mobs and allow the party to survive, by not being breathed on. As for the dragon, you can keep him perma-rooted. With lowered defenses, the cipher can cast petrify and disintegrate, while the rest howl arrows of death. Of course wounding shot can also be stacked on him. Then you can keep the rest of your pets as a fail safe, if you miss the rooting or charm, just let the pet run up and keep him busy, buying you time. 

In theory, using the best items/buffs, a pale elf paladin can achieve by himself 150+defl/refl and 31dr against slash, pierce, burn and cold (without combat consumables/party buffs) which IMO is more than enough to tank him, however I'm not there yet...