Curious- Do you play with Qualifiers on or off?

Hi, Just wondering how people prefer to play the game, with this on or off?...For those who don't know what I mean, it is the option to have the conversation option you can't use due to skill checks show up or not during the game.

Personally I like to play with them off so that can just play the game without worrying that I should have picked a different option, or increased a different skill. I find it a bit jarring when the options are shown tbh.

Also, big thumbs up to the devs for providing the option for those who like/dislike it!

Opinions?

• Like 1

I play with them on. I actually like seeing what options are closed to me in case I may want to roll up a character that has those qualifications for another run so I can see the other dialogue choices.

• Like 2

Off, anything to add to replayability and not take me out of the game with meta thinking.

• Like 2

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster . . .

when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you

I play with em all off - qualifiers for those options I have, options I don't have, and reputations of options. I like just - choosing whichever option seems in character at the time.

My PC has like... 1 of every disposition now. But that's fine. ;P

• Like 1

I left them on in the BB but for the "real deal" now have them all off - I prefer to choose based on which seems best for my current character and don't want to see options that are unavailable - I'd rather be surprised at the options I see when I make a character that does qualify.  8)

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

I don't dislike them, they feel like the old adventure books.

"If you have [requirement X] got to chapter 58"

"However if you have [requirement Y] you can go to chapter 328"

I am a big fan of those type of books and play a lot of them to this day. So, this is a good explanation of why I like all these things displayed in the game. Indeed, I must commend the developers for allowing all of the options to be visible, this is very pleasant and not very usual. In fact a common modern development in digital adaptations of adventure gamebooks is to hide all of that from the player, a decision I find extremely annoying.

On. I like to know what's under the hood in the game.

Other people are interested in why exactly their characters didn't hit someone or other detailed combat stats. I'm interested in detailed dialogue stats.

Also, it's nice to appreciate how much checks and unique dialogue actually has been written, even if I don't see it.

• Like 1

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

I play with qualifiers and disposition information off. I don't want to start second guessing my character build & rp choices due to feedback in dialog. I'm the type of player that seeing the path not taken makes me feel uneasy with the path taken. So happy that the devs put in the option.

I play with them on and I really appreciate the ability to do that. Without this information I would not assume there are dialogue paths that I did not have the ability to try and thus would have less interest in replaying the game with different attributes and reputations. Beyond that, I often don't even have time to play through a game more than once these days, so I appreciate being able to see if there is an option I can increase a stat for temporarily to be able to try.

Off. It's more immersive this way and new options will be a surprise during my next playthrough.

However, I think I'll turn them on next time to see just how many and how varied they are. I can't assess the work Obsidian put into it if I don't know what's a stat check and what's normal dialogue.

I play expert mode so they're off by proxy, still I think it's the better way to go. Games like Arcanum never had qualifiers (for attributes like Strength to intimidate or for skills like persuasion) and I think it makes it more enjoyable and more varied for future playthroughs.

I leave them on. Doesn't matter to me. By the time I finish and/or start over, I won't remember specifics of 99% of such anyway.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Expert mode. That just feels more BG-like.

I tried expert mode for about 2 minutes until I discovered it also removes the suggested attributes in character creation and I wasn't yet ready to pass those up yet :p

I tried expert mode for about 2 minutes until I discovered it also removes the suggested attributes in character creation and I wasn't yet ready to pass those up yet tongue.png

It only removes the stars next to the recommended attributes, if you know how the classes work you don't need them (because it still shows that each point does)

I tried expert mode for about 2 minutes until I discovered it also removes the suggested attributes in character creation and I wasn't yet ready to pass those up yet tongue.png

It only removes the stars next to the recommended attributes, if you know how the classes work you don't need them (because it still shows that each point does)

Yeah I get that I am just not familiar enough with the classes (especially new ones) to recall which attributes are recommended and even tho I may or may not follow those recommendations I still want to have them in front of me to assist in making my decisions. I suppose I could just write them down but why bother - I can adjust most everything I wish outside of expert mode.