Community, we need to get this game completely voice acted.

Voice acting is the plague why we had rpg with the lack of dialogues... Voice Act everything takes money and in the end is not necessary at all.

I am really glad this game is not so much voice acted in the end this means more narration and dialogue variety quantity and depth.

I don't need character voice acting because when i read in my mind all character have their voices... You just have to use your immagination

Personally, I would be happier with VO for most quest NPCs. It isn't needed everywhere, but I would prefer everything main-plot related and big side quests to have VO.

People saying fan-made VO is always bad...Mostly, I agree, but there are some decent ones, especially for New Vegas(I'm thinking Bounties) and Skyrim. Take the Interesting NPCs mod for Skyrim; some of the NPCs from that are almost indistinguishable from the professional VOs imo.

Right, I'm popping along to Essex to round up some actors to VO the whole game ok?(only fellow Brits will know how...interesting that would be ;) )

• Like 1

Community/amateur voice acting is always bad, no exceptions.

Well, the player voice sets that were "professionally" done are pretty bad. There's maybe one decent one, and one more that's good enough. Plus Aloth sounds racially confused. He keeps jumping between Noble Elven Wizard and Anx infused Dwarven berserker. His lines are all over the map. Not impressed with his VO at all. Some of the others in game are ok, some would better silent as well.

Well, the player voice sets that were "professionally" done are pretty bad. There's maybe one decent one, and one more that's good enough. Plus Aloth sounds racially confused. He keeps jumping between Noble Elven Wizard and Anx infused Dwarven berserker. His lines are all over the map. Not impressed with his VO at all. Some of the others in game are ok, some would better silent as well.

I agree with player voice sets. But, uh, Alroth is meant to be that way. (I do think his voice acting is pretty poor, but not because of that.)

• Like 1

Personally, I would be happier with VO for most quest NPCs. It isn't needed everywhere, but I would prefer everything main-plot related and big side quests to have VO.

People saying fan-made VO is always bad...Mostly, I agree, but there are some decent ones, especially for New Vegas(I'm thinking Bounties) and Skyrim. Take the Interesting NPCs mod for Skyrim; some of the NPCs from that are almost indistinguishable from the professional VOs imo.

Right, I'm popping along to Essex to round up some actors to VO the whole game ok?(only fellow Brits will know how...interesting that would be ;) )

Some voices on quest npcs sounds good.

Yes i know, my english sux.

Actually, this has nothing to do with the Unity engine whatsoever. The only obstacle is money. Professional voice actors do not come cheap. They cannot take less than a certain amount of money for a project, or they will get in trouble with their Actor's Guild, even to the point of getting kicked out of it, which means losing health insurance and any possibility of future employment. Definitely not a risk anyone would or should be willing to take.

With that in mind, the sheer amount of text in this game would put full voice acting out of even a AAA game's budget. And with the limited funds available for PoE, this becomes a pipe dream.

The alternative is to use amateur volunteers, which, if you've ever heard before, let's just say you'll realize why professionals are so sought after.

Edited by jackjack

This game got a better score than Inquisition & Dragon Age 2. That means something. This game deserves to have every single word voice acted. The biggest obstacle in adding voice acting is due to the nature of unity 3d. Does anyone know any possible way to add voice acting in a different way?

The OP is growing in skill. A solid 'B.'

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

This game got a better score than Inquisition & Dragon Age 2. That means something. This game deserves to have every single word voice acted. The biggest obstacle in adding voice acting is due to the nature of unity 3d. Does anyone know any possible way to add voice acting in a different way?

The OP is growing in skill. A solid 'B.'

You mean in trolling skill, right?

Because DA2 is a POC, so getting better scores would kinda easy.

And the only good VA in DA2 is the one they used for Varric (disregard Flemeth, she has like 3 lines of dialogue).

Of Inquisition I have seen some video, but it's the usual BioWare game. Nothing extremely interesting.

Still looks at least a bit better than DA2.

Edited by DocDoomII

No thanks from me on this. I'd like the sibilance in the existing VO (mostly GM's and the female PCs) cleaned up first. After that, I still think I prefer VO to be used sparingly. Lets me read in peace. :)

EDIT: Also the budget thing. I much prefer a sparingly VO'd game with oodles and oodles of text to a VO'd game with much less dialogue.

Edited by Matt516

And yet fan voice acting would be worse than even that. :devil: Seriously though, if more voicework was feasible obsidian would have likely included it to begin with.

As for Aloth, that gets explained later on.

• Like 1

Yeah that one voice actretsts tstsoundtsts her etstsetsts rather too tstseverely.

I'm not even convinced it's wholly an actor problem - sounds more like the recording was either done wrong or not cleaned up afterwards. That kind of thing should be fixable (at least a bit) in post.

Please no.

Half the VA dialogues annoy me more than they do without the VA. Mostly because the Voice actor doesn't seem to read the non spoken text, so things like sighs, coughing and tone of voice directly goes against what's written.

If a person is supposed to be scared, angry or whatever it's VERY important that the VA does that, and even more so when it's written for the player to see.

It takes a lot of time and effort to fully VA a game, so if someone want's to mod it please do, just please don't ask the devs to focus on it ^^

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster . . .

when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you

The last thing the game needs is more voice-overs, let alone amateur attempts. Even the professional VO was terribly uneven (though the blame on that may lay on the recording producers.) The prologue's caravan master had me suspicious from the start of the VO quality, but I completely turned it off after the guy in Gilded Vale started talking, whose voice had the description of "dry croak" while the voice-over sounded like "dark elf from TES: Oblivion."

Plus, with the heavy-use of descriptive text in many spots, the flow of dialogue is easily disrupted. Two voiced sentences bookending a paragraph of description doesn't make good voice-over material.

I don't understand people's fascination with full voice acting in games. Full voice acting is a waste of time and resources. I can read MUCH faster than I can listen to someone talk. I would rather the developers spend that time and resources on quality gameplay and content than useless voice acting.

I'm not very fond of voice acting in general; it limits how much editing of dialogue you can do, and if something's done wrong that isn't caught until the game's out (say, a main quest NPC assuming the PC is going to be male, as I ran into), you're not in a great position.

Knock yourself out, for a mod. Personally I prefer the voice acting how it is. Certain notable lines are voice acted. The rest, I can just read through much more quickly than voice acting would allow.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

"Community, we need to get this game completely voice acted."

Hey, don't drag me into this. I believe voice overs are fine the way they are.

What's with people using 'we' so often?

- Most people click through them anyway, not wanting to hear every character out. Same here. Seems like a waste to have dozens of people provide hours of spoken text that won't be listened to. That's time spent that Obsidian can definitely spend on better things.

- It saves space. How much bigger would the game be if all text was voiced?

- With even a little imagination you can read every character's conversation with the voice you just heard.

I think the game has the perfect amount of voice acting right now. I also love the text narratives.   Although I don't agree that all amateur  VA is bad. I have stumbled across some skyrim mods that had some excellent voice acting.  it seems Bioware has spoiled many gamers to fully voiced games.

I used to be a game developer.  We did one low-budget game where we hired one professional voice actor and one former radio DJ who was someone's uncle.  All the other characters were voiced by us.  And we didn't really have a director, just a sound guy -- who wasn't actually an audio engineer, just a programmer who also happened to be a musician who owned a microphone.  

(To add to the mess, the programmer actually in charge of the game's audio playback didn't think we needed to support any format but WAV, and the one in charge of the installer decided that our WAV files were too large and we could only use 4kHz mono WAVs, including for the soundtrack. :banghead: )

Anyway, what I'm saying here is nobody really wants amateur voice overs.

• Like 1