Obsidian devs after the Limerick controversy..

I went to work once wearing a shirt with dongs on it. My boss made me change. OPPRESSHUN!

Dongs in t-shirts is lewd

But don't take it off or you'll be nude!

Go hide over there

Or find something else to wear

But for God sakes, stop being rude!

Edited by Stun
  • Like 2

I went to work once wearing a shirt with dongs on it. My boss made me change. OPPRESSHUN!

Junta was once a man of many dongs,

For his own he needed tongs,

In the game he disabled autosave,

Out of game he can only misbehave,

His shirt oppressed,

His mood extremely distressed,

He does naught to fight for his cause,

Only sits on the forum waiting for applause.

Rad-scientist.jpg

I always wear this kind of thing to international press conferences, personally. Except with more dongs.

I can sympathize with both sides of the debate in this case but you really think such an intelligent man doing such a significant interview would have known better or at least had someone tell him how inappropriate that shirt was 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I hate feminists. I also hate that shirt. I cannot choose which one is more offensive.

Mungri was an extremely angry man,

His behaviour emphasizing the lack of a game plan,

Sometimes he would yell, sometimes he would scream,

Regardless, his body was soon found drifting downstream.

*Note: Mungri is an taekwondo master and anyone who challenges him in single combat will have a problem on their hands!

@soedenone:

http://www.chinese-astrology.co.uk/dragon.html

Born 1988.

:dragon:

Osvir was actually a dragon, who knew?

A example was needed and so he cut through,

The crowd stood back, taken by surprise,

As Osvir stepped forth and shed his disguise.

We feel differently, like fluttering flower petals

and sometimes, we overboil... pot kettles!

In each man and woman there lies an untold story

and soedenone is here to bring it to fullest glory

A poetic bard, it almost makes me hard

• Like 1

which has approximately nothing to do with that shirt, which has no naked anything as far as I can tell.  Attacking that guy with a twitter firestorm was grossly inappropriate.  I sympathize with your point on the silly PoE controversy, but if you're defending flooding the guy with thousands of hate messages for the shirt that he wore I lose a *ton* of respect for you.

• Like 2

which has approximately nothing to do with that shirt, which has no naked anything as far as I can tell.  Attacking that guy with a twitter firestorm was grossly inappropriate.  I sympathize with your point on the silly PoE controversy, but if you're defending flooding the guy with thousands of hate messages for the shirt that he wore I lose a *ton* of respect for you.

Ohioastro had more than a silly name,

But once he read Junta it was all the same,

He chose to take part, chose to object,

Only his conject did not the subject reflect.

Edited by soedenone

@soedenone Your first one was better. Pay attention to scansion. It doesn't have to be perfect but it makes a difference.

A Jute in love with Chaos

Was jealous of another's applause

But his barbs fell flat

For he was only a prat

Whose verse was a complete loss.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Reminds me of this affair oddly enough..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pALQxetf_k8

Fukin' man lands an ape-made rocket on an asteroid for first time in history but gets lynched by mobs from **** fan clubs for a shirt he wore that wasn't feminist enough..

I don't know if I should cry too or just laugh..

Nothing else left to do except laughing anyway against feminazism and political correctedness...I thought financial independence would mean creative independence too but apparently sales and etiquette still matter more than integrity and bravour..

If I wanted to have that I would have just bought dragon age inquisition. It's a bad game but hey it's big budget, wide audience and very politically correct!!

Probably getting banned for this but I hope it will show people what believing in freedom of expression and intellectual integrity really means...

Great post, but lets not start this again.

Hasn't it been what a week or more since then? Who cares about this anyway?

• Like 1

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.

One's freedom ends where another's begin. 

You cannot lack respect to someone, be a **** about it, then claim "freedom of speech" and then say that people cannot complain as well. What makes -your- right stronger than theirs?

Let me counter your question with: Does my right become more right if I am in a minority, and am I allowed to be more of a **** if I am? Does my right become more right if I also rile up people around me, who have no idea what my emotions are or who I am but they simply feel emotional because I am emotional?

Take Denmark's embassy in the Middle-East (Yes, I am comparing with that, if you know what I am talking about), where islamists got riled up because a Danish artists had made a painting of "He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named" (lol). Whilst marching towards the embassy, the crowd became larger and larger, and no one in the crowd had any idea what it was all about, but someone had made a painting, probably, and they were yelling and got angry and tossed **** around them and eventually they burned down the embassy... except they burned down the Norwegian embassy too (They probably didn't know which one was which so they burned down both).

Does that right make them more right, because they were offended by a cartoon of Mohammed, and that made it right of them to rile up thousands of people around them? What if Obsidian hadn't listened to Erika, would she be allowed to burn down Obsidian's offices and spread hate about them because of a poem?

I know my example is a bit extreme, but do you understand what I am saying?

Read: I think (2) fits into it.

A bit extreme? Of course she wouldn't be allowed to destroy property or hurt people because she got freaking offended, what kind of a question is that? I'm a huge supporter of free speech and I reserve the right to walk around in public with a t-shirt with a graphic of the danish cartoon with Muhammad wearing a bomb as a turban. But I also have the right to not wear that shirt if I don't feel like it. If Obsidian had removed the poem in order to appease a group threatening violence against them, I'd be pissed, but that's not what went down at all. First of all, it's likely that they overlooked it and legitimately don't like it or want it in the game in the first place. That would be their right to include whatever the **** they want in their work. Furthermore, they didn't remove it or apologize and they weren't responding to threats of violence. They chose to ask the backer if he wanted to change it in light of the situation, and he decided to do so. Period. That's the entire story. Nobody caved to threats of violence and no censorship was forced on anybody.

Obsidian decided that they wanted to give the backer an opportunity to change something that was causing a lot of people to **** on twitter and the forums, the backer decided to do so, Obsidian published his rewrite which directly insulted those who got offended in the first place. It's amazing how much imaginary bs all of you are attaching to this situation.

As a show of example to see how much people read into a comment (this is the second one by the way).

I never said that there were threats of violence against Obsidian. I didn't even insinuate that there ever was. I was asking rethorical questions and making rethorical parallels. Using an extreme example (I got it right this time). Deceptive, I know, sorry about that. It was somewhat intentional. You applied the rest of the meaning yourself.

I was re-reading my post a couple of times and thinking "Yeah, it is A LOT of extreme, maybe I should edit that 'bit' out of it? Nah. Whatever, someone is going to get pissed about it". I made a conscious choice to keep it there so I could elaborate as well as hope I could see some people understanding what I was talking about, and also show how literal people are and how they apply their own meanings to things. How people have difficulty in seeing from other people's point of views. Most of the time because they aren't trying* (I've read your post, at this point in time, 3 4 times now Grinning, just to give you some perspective and that I am trying to understand other people's thoughts too ;)). I never said anything about Obsidian being forced to censor anything. What happened was a woman who wanted to force Obsidian to censor, because she perceived the poem to be "All about me".

Whilst the threats were not of the "I will burn down your office"-kind, it was of the "I will not buy your game if you don't fix this and I will tell all kinds of people to not get your game because of this poem"-kind. "Censor this, or else!" (and for a while, Erika thought Obsidian had censored it too). It was also appearantly escalating. My point is that if Obsidian hadn't communicated with her in some manner, she would've continued her campaign, spread more hate on Obsidian and been anti-Obsidian for the rest of her gaming career or even life, most likely. That pressure, is a d*ck move, and isn't much different from "terror". The way she gathered people to her cause, sentimentally, is not much different than the way that the islamists on the streets riled up and gathered people.

My point is that there could've been a single people who started chanting on the streets "Danish idiot is making cartoon of our prophet!" and then let's pretend they went and protested against it. Similarly, Erika started on Twitter "Obsidian Backer idiot is making fun of our sexuality!" and then went and protested against it.

No tolerancy in both cases. ^Do you see the parallell I made, more simplified, now^?

*"They aren't trying" = lots of people become emotional on what they see on the surface, they jump to conclusions before understanding. I do this too, so I should really say "We". But using "they" is more provocative.

I think anyone who read it understood your point the first time. As often when arguing online it's easier to attack you for using poor examples than it is to admit you may have a point and continue the debate from that.

For what it's worth, the initial few instigators back then didn't plan for the burning of anything or for anyone dying. They lived in Denmark and did this to cause drama and perhaps earn some influence among people they had connections with down in the middle east. Quickly got out of control as it can do when using hatespeech and hyperbole to raise the awareness of a large crowd.

Well I have really enjoyed this thread for two primary reasons 

• I enjoy relevant SJ discussions where there is interesting feedback and that doesn't  necessarily mean people  just agreeing with my views
  • I have loved the eloquence that many people have demonstrated with there ability to create limericks ...well played guys  :thumbsup:
Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You are demanding censorship, because you're directly comparing people who disagree with you to murderous lynch mobs and the nazis, and thus putting them outside the range of acceptable conversation, characterizing them has indulging in hate-speech (which is censored).

You also don't understand what intellectual integrity means. It means being able to back up your ideas, and sticking to them when they're rational, and dropping them when they're shown to be irrational. Anyone even using the phrase "feminazi" has already given up any claim to "intellectual integrity", because he's using crude, offensive, propaganda-speech, which compares fairly harmless people to a massive evil army (bordering on a death cult) which took over Europe by violent force and exterminated millions of people. There's no intellectual integrity there.

It absolutely does not mean mindlessly sticking to your guns, or worse, someone else's guns, as you seem to think it does.

Yeah...no.

Comparisons along a certain point are valid. Always. Regardless how much you dislike them.

Ever heard of a term "grammar natzi"? Whay don't you go on a crusade against anyone using it?

could it be that you realized that the point of comparison is blind/zealous obedience to a strict set of rules that MUST be enforced?

I'm gonna use femniatzi if I want and you can cry "no intellectual integrity" all you want. Maybe you should look in the mirror b.t.w.

• Like 2

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I think Obsidian has learn another important lesson here:

any forced edition won't be tolerated by the fanbase since it undermines the whole "by gamers for gamers" definition. If you waver that lightly means only that you care for your creation that much.

Edited by mrmonocle
  • Like 1

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance