Obsidian devs after the Limerick controversy..

Agreed, epic fail Hiro

Oh hi bruce! You're here. I did a limerick just for you.

Here, lies Bruce, a hero to some

Wishes to bed Sagani, but has remained mum

He secretly sighs and wails

Claims that POE Fails

Because it has no romances, "how come?!!

:lol:

That made me laugh...its clever  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I feel really sorry for Obsidian.

There is group A, which wanted the limerick out of the game because they think it is offensive, group B, which think the limerick was not offensive at all and are angry that Obsidian gave in and removed the poem and at last group C who really dont care (yes, im in group C).

I can only imagine Josh reading the first complains and thinking "oh god, thats really f***ed up" because NO MATTER what they were going to do after group A and B started to fight, there was no perfect solution. Either group A or B would be going rampage (or both). Now we have group A who thinks "we won, SJW4tehwin" and which will probably now will always try to start crying if there is something they dont like. And group B which feels "betrayed" because of the extreme massive "censorship" and the downfall of "free speech" (blabla).

I dont find the limerick offensive and dont care if it is not in the game because there is no change in the gameplay whatsoever. PLEASE let Obsidian concentrate on the big issues with the game and can you PLEASE forgive them for making a decision (right or wrong). Blame me if you like, I can take it.

In many threads there are people who say they wont back the next game because they dont like game mechanics, Story, RTwP which is all totaly understandable, but when people are whining because Obsidian tries to defuse a heated topic I lose myself.

Im sorry if you are in the wronged group, I really hope you can still enjoy the game and you are not resentful

SJW'S CRIED
FIREDORN DIED

I'll think up more political slogans in a sec once I'm done eating my sammich.

• Like 3

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Here lies a SJF, crying in bed.

Was once alive, but now they're dead.

The last person they bedded, turned out cisgender

And crying in shame, off a cliff they meander.

I'm more offended by the poor craftsmanship of your poem than its contents, to be honest. Don't write limericks unless you know what an anapest is, pls

Agreed, epic fail Hiro 

No not at all.

The point of the feigned offence is to make you understand that the situation is unreasonable precisely because any number of people can be offended by any number of things, and anyone can feign any form of offence. I'm offended you don't recognize my right to identify as an apache attack helicopter, and demand that it is included in the game.

This should not have to be spelled out to you.

Okay you didn't seem to read my whole post about if you say something is offensive there needs to be context 

So why are you offended that an apache helicopter isn't in the game ? There must be a valid reason if you say so ?

You see my point, so that was a silly and irrelevant point you made :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

This really just supports the statement that the ones that are offended are being delusional, rather than reasonable.

Want to explain why?

I'm guessing because I'm talking about "frameworks" and **** which means it's all a human construction and therefore flawed, as opposed to the logical bastion of "reasonable" (see also: "common sense"), but here's the thing - all reasonable opinions exist within frameworks based on a set of fundamental concepts. Be that an ethical framework based in utilitarianism, or ideas of social justice based on the idea of nonlegal power structures affecting peoples' lives or the inherent superiority of royalty (chosen by God), or economical models based on rational actors - all ideas are parts of frameworks.

What I'm getting at is that there is no essential "truth" from which people deviate and delude themselves. (The closest we get to that is found in our biological responses.) Your thinking exists inside a framework too, and it's not at all obviously true that yours more correct or true than the one we've been talking about.

Edited by evensong
  • Like 1

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -Marcus Aurelius

Slightly a tangent but for anyone thinking there's not wackos on both sides:

11112847_10206719505336272_5492699574682

And as I've stated in the past, there's STILL no real way to counter how blatantly Anita misrepresented New Vegas to fit her own agenda.

Having said that though, at this point all people can do is express their concerns to Obsidian. I can sympathize with the disappointment, but I'm enough of a realist to know that the way Obsidian handled it is both expected and better than I thought they would (giving Firedorn a choice to keep the thing). ANY company would do the same because companies strive to sell products to as many demographics as possible. Why piss off the SJW demographic instead of trying to appeal to both that demographic and the people opposing it?

Edited by Longknife
  • Like 10

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Slightly a tangent but for anyone thinking there's not wackos on both sides

Has anyone thought this, ever?

Also, I'm curious - I haven't watched the FemFreq video with New Vegas, it's half an hour long and mostly stuff I am already familiar with thoughts-wise, and I couldn't find the bit where she was talking about New Vegas with a cursory scan of the video... Could you do me a favour and point me to the right place in the video?

Edited by evensong

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -Marcus Aurelius

Slightly a tangent but for anyone thinking there's not wackos on both sides

Has anyone thought this, ever?

Maybe I'm late to the party but from what I read in this thread....yes lulz.

Also my next post will be my 666th so I have to stop there because reasons.

Edited by Longknife
  • Like 3

Maybe I'm late to the party but from what I read in this thread....yes lulz.

Also my next post will be my 666th so I have to stop there because reasons.

No, like, in the history of ideas, has anyone thought that everyone adhering to their own framework of thought are universally laudable and excellent human beings?

I consider myself a feminist, but obviously I am not blind to the fact that the label "feminist" is attached to a mixed bag with a lot of idiots and a lot of smart people in it. Same goes for liberals, conservatives, fascists, communists, libertarians, anarchists, third-positionists, Schumpeterians, whatever.

• Like 3

Ugh, first the Hugo Awards (http://www.avclub.com/article/years-hugo-award-nominees-are-messy-political-cont-217574) and now this... Once there was a time when I thought fantasy and sci-fi fans/readers/gamers/etc/ were all cool nerds who always got along well with each other and only had heated debates about whether tabletop RPG system X or Y is best. Of course, that turned out to be a completely naive idea, but I do wish I'd never found out about that...

That's because that used to be true, before.. well.. nerd-dom, for lack of a better word, became a viable platform to politicize. Now it's targeted left, right and centre by nutjobs that never had an interest before you could use it to push doctrines en masse.

I bet the devs are censored to comment on the whole limmerick issue in hopes it will die out by itself eventually.

But it won't. I'm suspecting that they'll let it fly for another month and then they'll start bringing down the hammer on the whole issue, which will just make it worse and then they'll firmly entrench themselves and then they'll be bought by EA and folded into Bioware.

Or, you know, two out of three.

The point of the feigned offence is to make you understand that the situation is unreasonable precisely because any number of people can be offended by any number of things, and anyone can feign any form of offence. I'm offended you don't recognize my right to identify as an apache attack helicopter, and demand that it is included in the game.

This should not have to be spelled out to you.

Okay you didn't seem to read my whole post about if you say something is offensive there needs to be context 

So why are you offended that an apache helicopter isn't in the game ? There must be a valid reason if you say so ?

You see my point, so that was a silly and irrelevant point you made original.gif

I did not say context. I said merit.

I'm not offended by the fact that there are no apache helicopters in the game, I'm offended by the fact that I can't choose one as my gender, you cisgendered apachephobic scum. Check your privliege, you cannot possibly understand what my people go through on a daily basis.

Anyone can be offended by anything, and anyone can feign any degree of offense over anything, or even be offended by proxy (as often is the case). It is not reasonable to accomodate the perpetually offended, because there's always someone offended by something, somewhere.

When there is no intent, and no merit to the basis of the offense, it cannot and should not be taken seriously, just like you aren't respecting or supporting my wishes to be heli-kin.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 7

t50aJUd.jpg

Can I?

Stun was a wonderful man

whose poetry never would scan

that was because

with unwarranted force

he would put every possible syllable into the last line of each verse that he can!

Here lies Prime Junta, the man with a lot!

When it comes to Social Justice, full is his Pot!

He counters faster

He's the battlefield master

And.....dot. dot. dot.

• Like 5

Hi developer who's reading this thread.

I'd just like to say I dun think Obsidian (or any company) should be afraid of voicing their opinion on such matters. I think a lot of people just want more communication as to the why's and how's, not so much attitudes of "you disagree with me? I hope you die in a fire while getting shot." I know this won't convince you to post, but I just felt like getting that out there, regardless.

The GamerGate side is frustrated cause no dev seems willing to "stand up for them," though I think there's plenty of sensible members who also wouldn't fault a dev for not doing so. Hell, they wouldn't mind if a dev agrees with SJWs, so long as they earnestly agree and aren't pressured into agreeing, and so long as they can treat GGers with respect and respectful discussion. The SJWs, I also don't think are so rigid that they'll stone you to death if you were to say you guys only removed the limerick to save your hides. Jumping to conclusions and going for each other's throats gets nobody anywhere, discussion of where to draw the line is productive though.

Now I have to go away to enjoy my 666 post count. Be back when I get bored of it.

• Like 7

Hi developer who's reading this thread.

I'd just like to say I dun think Obsidian (or any company) should be afraid of voicing their opinion on such matters. I think a lot of people just want more communication as to the why's and how's, not so much attitudes of "you disagree with me? I hope you die in a fire while getting shot." I know this won't convince you to post, but I just felt like getting that out there, regardless.

The GamerGate side is frustrated cause no dev seems willing to "stand up for them," though I think there's plenty of sensible members who also wouldn't fault a dev for not doing so. Hell, they wouldn't mind if a dev agrees with SJWs, so long as they earnestly agree and aren't pressured into agreeing, and so long as they can treat GGers with respect and respectful discussion. The SJWs, I also don't think are so rigid that they'll stone you to death if you were to say you guys only removed the limerick to save your hides. Jumping to conclusions and going for each other's throats gets nobody anywhere, discussion of where to draw the line is productive though.

Now I have to go away to enjoy my 666 post count. Be back when I get bored of it.

I like this post, I have to be honest LK I am not use to you being so  reasonable around these types of topics :)

John Milton 

When there is no intent, and no merit to the basis of the offense, it cannot and should not be taken seriously, just like you aren't respecting or supporting my wishes to be heli-kin.

The difference, of course, besides your satire being satire, is that transphobia is real and contributes to laws being passed and people being murdered.

Also, obviously, to determine what claims of offense have merit, we have to talk about what offensiveness is and how to think about it, instead of leaving it up to what each person feels is true personally. I'd offer a tentative suggestion that something can be considered genuinely offensive it it contributes to a culture that affects people in other ways that words, because at that point it's not just about a hypothetical offense but something that really does affect people's lives. Whether or not it's intended as offensive is entirely irrelevant, nobody meant to be sexist in the 50s either.

Edited by evensong

Can I?

Stun was a wonderful man

whose poetry never would scan

that was because

with unwarranted force

he would put every possible syllable into the last line of each verse that he can!

Here lies Prime Junta, the man with a lot!

When it comes to Social Justice, full is his Pot!

He counters faster

He's the battlefield master

And.....dot. dot. dot.

Yeah that's also clever and witty  :biggrin:

John Milton 

SJW'S CRIED

FIREDORN DIED

I'll think up more political slogans in a sec once I'm done eating my sammich.

BETTER NEVER BORN

THAN FIREDORN

Yeah I ruined my post count but this was totally worth it.

Here's another one:

There once was a man from Scania

who had a peculiar mania:

he would speak in tones guttural

of Marxists cultural

for he feared they'd move in from Tanzania!

(Must stop drunkposting now.)

Edited by PrimeJunta
  • Like 5

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Here's another one:

There once was a man from Scania

who had a peculiar mania:

he would speak in tones guttural

of Marxists cultural

for he feared they'd move in from Tanzania!

(Must stop drunkposting now.)

Guttural? That's just offensive! D:

(It's 17:00, it's noticeable that you're finnish.. or.. you know.. living in Denmark)

Continue drunkposting.

t50aJUd.jpg