Custom Parties and PotD

So whats up with all the custom created parties in PotD runs, that some people are talking about?

I mean custom created party members don't have any dialogue or story going on the game or am I wrong?

On the other hand the Pre-made companions have dialogue and quests, I don't understand why would anyone want to miss out on all these quests and dialogue by using custom created characters in their parties ......... isn't it just boring and makes you miss out on a major aspect of the game?

Can someone please explain?

Thanks.

As I wrote already somewhere on this forum PoE is merge of IWD, BG and P:T.

Fans of IWD focus on combat, so they are more about party that's good for fighting rather than about story.

Edited by Nanakamado

"Go where the others have gone, to the tenebrous limit

for the golden fleece of void, your ultimate prize

go upright among those who are on their knees

among those turning their backs on and those fallen to dust"

Zbigniew Herbert, Message of Mr. Cogito

As I wrote already somewhere on this forum PoE is merge of IWD, BG and P:T.

Fans of IWD focus on combat, so they are more about party that's good for fighting rather than about story.

I am a fan of IWD but I am also the fan of BG and PS:T...... and I don't want to miss out on the companions stories and quests. Is PotD do-able with pre-made companions?

Edited by Brimsurfer

My first playthrough I am using the made up companions that Obsidian created.

On my second playthrough, I'm creating my own custom party. I love making my own charcaters and adding bios for them all.

Come to think of it, can you create custom bios in this game?? I know I can add notes to my journal.

• Like 1

I'm surprised they let you create new companions, but then not have a means of creating voice acting for your new companion.

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Come to think of it, can you create custom bios in this game?? I know I can add notes to my journal.

No. I asked for this during the early beta days, but no one else seemed to care. I might still be a little bitter about it.

Thanks.

Companions by and large have terrible stats if you're into min/maxing, so people who are into that and can't stand seeing a chr. that is "inefficient" often prefer to make their own. It's a control thing.

Either that or they don't like companions personalities. :lol:

I like having a mix - some companions, some my own. Depends.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well, some PotD runs might be a second run, where you've done the NPC quests/dialogues already. Pure achievement run maybe?

Easier to do trial of iron runs with optimized NPCs instead of the premades.

Solo run is also an achievement.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster . . .

when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you

My first run of the game (on PotD, I started one on hard but I found it waaaaay too easy for my liking... and I accidentally forced myself to ally with the Dozens >.>) is with the normal companions.

But after that I will go all crazy with a custom min/max party.

Edited by Psychevore

I can't stand min-maxing in a RPG. If a game highest's difficulty is so challenging that I need to min-max, I just turn it down a notch, because in most RPGs (most games for that matter), the difficulty settings mostly just alter monster stats, so I'm not missing out on anything. The most fun I have had with RPGs is trying to make quirky characters / parties work, typically with self-gimping rules. This allows me to RP and still have a challenge, and also increases the number of different parties I can create with the voiced NPCs.

So whats up with all the custom created parties in PotD runs, that some people are talking about?

I mean custom created party members don't have any dialogue or story going on the game or am I wrong?

On the other hand the Pre-made companions have dialogue and quests, I don't understand why would anyone want to miss out on all these quests and dialogue by using custom created characters in their parties ......... isn't it just boring and makes you miss out on a major aspect of the game?

Thanks.

I played through with companions already, and find it dull playing with pre-made, lackluster builds.

If I could customize the companions myself I'd use them all the time, but I can't without mods that I don't care to install yet.

My current playthrough is Path of the Damned and I'm enjoying the better synergy, damage output, survivability of a fully custom party with wise attribute spreads, talent and abilities picks, and so on and so on. It makes the combat more interesting to me, and the game has a lot of combat.

I started my first playthrough on hard with the story companions. Found it way too easy so restarted on Path of the Damned. I think If I were using a custom Party it would again make the game way too easy for me, although that would be fun to do on a subsequent playthrough.

I rushed through the initial content and got all companions at level 2 or 3 so I could at least optimise their abilities and talents from early on.

But why would you ever want a wizard or any other DPS / AoE character with less than 18 might, int and dex?

Why not? My first character was a Wizard with 15 Might, 15 Int and 13 Dex. Since the character's background was Scientist and by nature of the game he is a leader, it seemed that at least some points should be put into Resolve and Perception and there are only so many to go around. Playing on Hard, the game was moderately challenging until I figured out the rules at which point it became easy (I'm using only the companions that have personalities). If you min-max your character and create a full party, I think the game will be easy even on Path of the Damned.

But why would you ever want a wizard or any other DPS / AoE character with less than 18 might, int and dex?

WHY?

Because I find it more enjoyable to have characters with weaknesses that I need to work around. It gives them more character. That's not to say that I run completely inept characters (ie. I'll likely never create a wizard with 10 int).

Edited by Bix Copperblast
  • Like 1

I love character creation. I've spent most of my copper fortune on new companions...I had a full party of godlikes for a while, then replaced them with orlan and aumaua...designing and redesigning toons keeps me entertained for hours. The premade companions are fine in my opinion. I just have more fun inventing and roleplaying characters of my own.

Ok so main reason is min/max stats, i guess, after reading all these posts. But isn't that illogical, I mean even if a person can try he still can't have 3 intelligence or dexterity, unless he is brain addled or handicap (from RP perspective).

(From practical perspective) If you have minimum ability score in two stats, doesn't that severely handicaps your character, like if you have minimum resolve and intelligence that will make your character extremely vulnerable against attacks that are repelled by saves associated resolve and intelligence..... and it cannot be compensated by other stats since other stats will not boost the defences that you are missing on account of low resolve and intelligence.

So how does it work? Are min/max character ultra vulnerable against some enemies and super powerful against others?

Edited by Brimsurfer

So how does it work? Are min/max character ultra vulnerable against some enemies and super powerful against others?

No, you can maximize the stats you need without lowering the rest to the point where it becomes an issue. The companions are more or less "roleplaying" type characters and, depending on when you pick them up, some of them have talents which are not exactly the best out there. Basically, you can do a whole lot better. What I don't understand is why anyone would want to -- the game is not very difficult even without this.