Being multilingual...

mrmonocle

Hello, pplz.

I'm fluent in 3 languages, can read in 3 more. I've noticed that my thoughts sometimes form a sentence that contains the fragments of all 3 languages that I'm fluent in at the same time. I can begin in one, continue in another and finish in one more. I've also noticed that my phrases have become shorter and more informative. The overall descriptiveness has decreased. Sometimes I find myself in a position where I'm picking an optimal construction in another language even in a conversation with a person that doesn't know that particular language. I'm wondering if any1 else has got a similar issue.

• Like 5

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

Hello, pplz.

I'm fluent in 3 languages, can read in 3 more. I've noticed that my thoughts sometimes form a sentence that contains the fragments of all 3 languages that I'm fluent in at the same time. I can begin in one, continue in another and finish in one more. I've also noticed that my phrases have become shorter and more informative. The overall descriptiveness has decreased. Sometimes I find myself in a position where I'm picking an optimal construction in another language even in a conversation with a person that doesn't know that particular language. I'm wondering if any1 else has got a similar issue.

Nice, so you are a linguist. What are the languages do you speak and what languages can you also read ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm not a linguist by choice. It just happened that I moved countries a few times in my life. As for the languages, let's say each belongs to a completely different group.

Edited by mrmonocle

I'm not a linguist by choice. It just happened that I moved countries a few times in my life. As for the languages, let's say each belongs to a completely different group.

Okay but what languages are those..I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say they belong to a different group?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

English, Hebrew, Russian

English, Hebrew, Russian

Holy Smoke ..okay that is interesting. I imagine those languages are completely different. Nice one  :thumbsup:

John Milton 

English, Hebrew, Russian

completely different.

Yes.

I've got a somewhat different problem, in that English has entirely taken over from my native tongue in my thoughts. Sometimes someone speaks to me in Dutch and it sounds like they're speaking a weird alien language because my brain isn't processing it. :lol:

So I speak Russian and English fluently. Can't say I mix them up. Depending on what I am doing and what I am thinking about I think in either. Weirdly I find it hard sometimes to translate things quickly. I could never be one of those interpreters that talks simultaneously to the person they are interpreting.

Edited by Fighter

I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I start saying something in my native tongue, then I switch without even realizing it, and then suddenly everyone is staring at me like I am some kind of madman.

Turns out I've gone and switched to Klingon again.  :facepalm:

• Like 1

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

I've got a somewhat different problem, in that English has entirely taken over from my native tongue in my thoughts. Sometimes someone speaks to me in Dutch and it sounds like they're speaking a weird alien language because my brain isn't processing it. :lol:

I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I start saying something in my native tongue, then I switch without even realizing it, and then suddenly everyone is staring at me like I am some kind of madman.

Guys I think the Op was referring to valid and accepted  languages?

Dutch is basically a bastardization of Afrikaans so its not really applicable in this case  :biggrin:  

John Milton 

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think that people have certain standard expressions that they like to use in certain situations (like a favorite joke or catchphrase). When you speak multilple languages, you start reaching for one of your catchphrases... only to realize that the person you're speaking to won't understand it.

Also, I know what you mean about speaking in shorter, less discriptive phrases. This is probably a side effect of often speaking to people for whom English isn't their first language, but I like to be clear and avoid flowery language.

I know this is the Off-Topic forum, but I think PoE's language is sometimes a little too flowery to be clear.

Edited by Heijoushin

an interesting fact: until my kid turned 4 she wasn't even aware she was talking 2 languages. In time she will forget one. I know a lot of people who forget the language spoken by parents but not spoken outside.

an interesting fact: until my kid turned 4 she wasn't even aware she was talking 2 languages. In time she will forget one. I know a lot of people who forget the language spoken by parents but not spoken outside.

Don't you think it would be an awful waste if she did forget it? It might influence where she can travel and work one day.

a little too flowerly to be clear.

The most enjoyed English language writer I've ever encountered is William Gibson. I'm just drawn instantly and deeply into the scenery he's weaving.

Sometimes someone speaks to me in Dutch and it sounds like they're speaking a weird alien language because my brain isn't processing it. laughing.gif

Yeah, I know the feeling. I had a Dutch colleague in Australia that would sometimes speak to me in dutch when he was tired and focus started slipping. A weird and alien language indeed :p

Speaking 3 languages and understanding most of a 4th, I do sometimes mix up sentences or use a sentence construct from one language and substitute individual words with the language of whoever I'm talking to, much to their amusement. Funny trivia, when counting, I count mentally in my native language.

Being a rather visual person, I don't think i actually "think" in any of those languages, more in images, sounds, smells, concepts showing for my inner eye/senses so to speak.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Dutch is basically a bastardization of Afrikaans so its not really applicable in this case  :biggrin:  

Ek jy nie verstaan nie.

• Like 1

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Ek jy nie verstaan nie.

Not bad :)

John Milton 

I had this problem in college, when I'd studied French and Spanish - mind you I had the additional problem that the two languages are very similar.  I'd often answer my Spanish instructor in a mix of Spanish and French (usually starting in Spanish and ending in French).

Sadly those unused skills are far beyond me, I can read very little of both and speak almost none...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I speak English and Spanish. Well, a friend of mine from Puerto Rico says I don't speak Spanish, I speak Mexican. But anyway it requires a real mental effort for me to switch from one to the other.

The languages the OP speaks are so dissimilar that it's amazing he can speak with fluently. I found Spanish so much easier (since it's also Latin based) than trying to pick up Japanese or Tagalog when I was living in those countries.  

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I speak English and Spanish. Well, a friend of mine from Puerto Rico says I don't speak Spanish, I speak Mexican. But anyway it requires a real mental effort for me to switch from one to the other.

The languages the OP speaks are so dissimilar that it's amazing he can speak with fluently. I found Spanish so much easier (since it's also Latin based) than trying to pick up Japanese or Tagalog when I was living in those countries.  

You are being far to modest GD, I'm sure you speak several other languages like ....Elk, Bear...maybe even Wild Boar ?

John Milton 

I know how to order a beer in Spanish, does that count?

Oh, and pig latin.

Friend of mine in the military said ordering a beer in German consisted of giving the "thumbs up" sign. :thumbsup: 

If you couldn't do the "thumbs up" you were too drunk and cut off.  Otherwise, it was a "universal language" kind of deal.

I'mway otnay uresay igpay atinlay ountscay asway anway extraway anguagelay.  Amscray, uysgay!

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Friend of mine in the military said ordering a beer in German consisted of giving the "thumbs up" sign. thumbsup.gif

If you couldn't do the "thumbs up" you were too drunk and cut off.  Otherwise, it was a "universal language" kind of deal.

I like it. In the Philippines, falling backwards off your stool is the cutoff point. :lol:

I'mway otnay uresay igpay atinlay ountscay asway anway extraway anguagelay.  Amscray, uysgay!

angitday!