Several items and talents mention they trigger at low endurance. How low is low endurance ?

For example:

Blooded (Barbarian)

Bloody Slaughter (offensive talent)

Finishing Blow (Rogue skill)

Does it vary from talent to talent, or they all work on less than 50% endurance, for instance ?

Mantle of the Dying Boar is mentioned in 1.04 patch notes as triggering on 33% endurance.

Low is less than 25%.

Finishing Blow has its own unique set of rules to it.  I think it starts adding some damage around 66% target health, but I'm looking for the breakpoint chart.

EDIT: Can't find it.  You figure that kind stuff would be in the manual, right?  But that's crazy talk. It is in the manual... I must be tired.

45% Health: +65% Damage
35% Health: +95% Damage
25% Health: +125% Damage
15% Health: +155% Damage
5% Health: +185% Damage

It would be a solid choice for a per encounter ability.  At 3 per rest it's kinda unexciting... would be cool if the effect had a duration, like 8 seconds... at the very least it should be a full attack.

In its defense, there's really no limit to the number of times you can camp in this game, but playing that way would be too tedious for me.
Edited by Daemonjax
  • Like 1

Low is less than 25%.

Finishing Blow has its own unique set of rules to it.  I think it starts adding some damage around 66% target health, but I'm looking for the breakpoint chart.

EDIT: Can't find it.  You figure that kind stuff would be in the manual, right?  But that's crazy talk. It is in the manual... I must be tired.

45% Health: +65% Damage
35% Health: +95% Damage
25% Health: +125% Damage
15% Health: +155% Damage
5% Health: +185% Damage

It would be a solid choice for a per encounter ability.  At 3 per rest it's kinda unexciting... would be cool if the effect had a duration, like 8 seconds... at the very least it should be a full attack.

In its defense, there's really no limit to the number of times you can camp in this game, but playing that way would be too tedious for me.

Yup. That's one of the reasons why I don't get how many per rest abilities there are in this game. On one hand, it makes it harder to predict how much power a player will be bringing into any given fight and it makes things harder for the player to use; on the other hand, a player can just rest as often as they want, so they're effectively per-encounter abilities. You're just trading RL fruteration for in-game power, which is never a good design choice, espesially when it's core to the game.

Well, this game is heavily influenced by D&D 4th edition rules, but even that edition had short rests for martial characters which this game lacks -- everything here is per encounter or a long rest with nothing in between.

To be fair, nothing immediately comes to mind for how to implement short rests in a video game.  In that case, imo, martial characters shouldn't have any per rest abilities.

Edited by Daemonjax

You could maybe do it, but it would require some significant re-tooling of the game. I think, it would have to look something like this:

• Monsters respawn, so if you leave and return, you won't have made any progress.
  • The passage of time matters, so if you're constantly resting you'll be disadvantaging yourself.
  • The ability to gain a full rest in the field (i.e. camping supplies), is rarer or harder to employ.

At that point, you could implement short rests in one of 3 ways: 1) you get a limited number between full rests, 2) they don't restore everything a normal rest would, 3) The have diminishing return (e.g. you take HP burn, in addition to damage, and only a full rest clears is).

Of course, at that point, the game would play very differently and there'd still be a host of problems endemic to per-rest abilities in a game that doesn't allow you to act on a per-rest scale. This is why I'd rather see the main split be between at-will and per-encounter abilities, with per-rest abilities being outliers for any class.

Well, this game is heavily influenced by D&D 4th edition rules, but even that edition had short rests for martial characters which this game lacks -- everything here is per encounter or a long rest with nothing in between.

To be fair, nothing immediately comes to mind for how to implement short rests in a video game.  In that case, imo, martial characters shouldn't have any per rest abilities.

Er, PoE automatically gives you the 4E equivalent of a short rest: your per-encounter powers reset and your endurance but not your health (i.e. your healing surges) recharges.

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out