Hello guys,

I'm about to start the game (finally!) and I wish to play as a human Paladin. Do you think that choosing Shieldbearer of St. Elcga as specialization, does make sense or it's better to be an elf in order to match the background?

Moreover, I want to engage more in dialogues and role playing rather than battles, at least with my main character. Should I keep the first three stats rather low and raise the other three or I'd rather not? Any suggestions, pleeeease?

Lova ya all; can't wait to go home and delve into the game :D

Hello guys,

I'm about to start the game (finally!) and I wish to play as a human Paladin. Do you think that choosing Shieldbearer of St. Elcga as specialization, does make sense or it's better to be an elf in order to match the background?

Moreover, I want to engage more in dialogues and role playing rather than battles, at least with my main character. Should I keep the first three stats rather low and raise the other three or I'd rather not? Any suggestions, pleeeease?

might, perception, intelligence and resolve are the most checked dialogue stats.

might is mostly for an agressive blunt dialogue option.

perception lets you see details

intelligence lets you be smart

and resolve lets you be determined.

that is more or less the options.

since i don't really care about an agressive blunt dialogue, might isn't that important for a dialogue option for me.

perception intelligence and resolve maxed is perfect for a paladin tank.

if you don't need to dish out damage you don't need might and dexterity.

low might also dumps your healing ability, but that should be done by another party member anyway.

so i would recommend

might min

con rest

dex min

per max

int max

resolve max

and now i will also create such a character :p

Build above is quite good imo just i wouldnt drop might to min and max con because first of all max con is just waste as 10 is enough for anything even for POTD tanking with paladin , rather have might at 10 con 10-12~ , dex min , and other 3 maxed , it seems paladins are the first class of this game that broke trough on forums everybody got a hang of how it works and posts same builds :D meanwhile other classes has a long way to go lol 

Hello guys,

might, perception, intelligence and resolve are the most checked dialogue stats.

might is mostly for an agressive blunt dialogue option.

perception lets you see details

intelligence lets you be smart

and resolve lets you be determined.

that is more or less the options.

since i don't really care about an agressive blunt dialogue, might isn't that important for a dialogue option for me.

perception intelligence and resolve maxed is perfect for a paladin tank.

if you don't need to dish out damage you don't need might and dexterity.

low might also dumps your healing ability, but that should be done by another party member anyway.

so i would recommend

might min

con rest

dex min

per max

int max

resolve max

and now i will also create such a character :p

decent enough build but by droping might you pretty much guarantee your paladin will never do any damage, i mean they already have a terrible accuracy, and thier heal is actually pretty good, especially early game. I get that this character is meant for RPing and that is why intel is maxed but pallys really get nothing from such a high int and by dumping might and dex you essentially reduce your paladin to nothing more than a rock you use to block ai pathing.

Aha, thanks for your swift answers first of all. I'll check the above configuration once I reach home -hell, I cant' wait!

From a role playing approach, do you think that a human character fits the Shieldbearers of St. Elcga? I mean, shouldn't they be elves? I searched online but didn't find sufficient lore :(

The Shield-bearer Paladin human was my first character before I rerolled as a wizard. It was quite weak in melee, thus why you should probably not dump points from Might. You don't want your main character to deal mediocre damage while the rest of your party look awesome on the field.

I don't think intelligence is important, and most of the time Perception and Resolve seem to come up in dialogues. I would say perception is the most important for a tank, and so is resolve. You might also want some points in Might since you still want to be doing damage; otherwise he'll just sit there like a rock, like Ceranai said. And with high enough deflection from maxing Per and Res, you could probably drop Con to 5, as Paladins have high endurance and health increases at level up anyway. I'm not sure, but stats like deflection probably don't increase at level up, which is why you want to max it at the start. Remember you're stuck with Attribute points, as they do not give more at level up.

Also, try to be honest during quests, and diplomatic when solving a conflict between two parties, as this affect your disposition.

Oh! I don't add to my stats when levelling up? ****, I didn't know that! Fortunately I haven't gotten far into the game (I've only finished the first dialogue -lol), so I'm probably gonna reroll again my Paladin.

Anything about role playing? I'm mostly concerned about whether the human race stacks with the background of the Shieldbearers of St. Elcga...  ;(

Aha, thanks for your swift answers first of all. I'll check the above configuration once I reach home -hell, I cant' wait!

From a role playing approach, do you think that a human character fits the Shieldbearers of St. Elcga? I mean, shouldn't they be elves? I searched online but didn't find sufficient lore :(

It was founded by an elven noble but it was open to all races. From a gameplay perspective shieldbearers are probably the worst paladin oreder, id you wanna play a good character the kind wayfarers are much better :) As for configuration I would REALLY not recommend dumping might AND dex, dump dex if you must but might is really good for your heal and is the only way you are even gonna scratch people you fight and again just to emphasise you get pretty much NOTHING from maxing int, other than a slightly larger aura i guess

Well since the Aedyr empire is a combined human/elven realm it should be fine. I picked it because I always choose diplomatic and honest replies, so my defenses bonuses would stack quicker.

My stats were:

M 19

C 5

D 5

P 16

I 17

R 16

I probably could've left int at 10 and used the points elsewhere, but I wanted my paladin to be smart. Right now he's the highest damage dealer in my party and can tank reasonably well too.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Well since the Aedyr empire is a combined human/elven realm it should be fine. I picked it because I always choose diplomatic and honest replies, so my defenses bonuses would stack quicker.

My stats were:

M 19

C 5

D 5

P 16

I 17

R 16

I probably could've left int at 10 and used the points elsewhere, but I wanted my paladin to be smart. Right now he's the highest damage dealer in my party and can tank reasonably well too.

QFT.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

My stats were:

M 19

C 5

D 5

P 16

I 17

R 16

Who else do you have in your party? One level 12 paladin and 5 level 1 wizards?

My stats were:

M 19

C 5

D 5

P 16

I 17

R 16

Nope, I run with Eder, Durance, Kana, Aloth, and Grieving Mother. We're all level 7 right now.

Playing on Hard too before anyone asks. ;)

Edited by illathid

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

My stats were:

M 19

C 5

D 5

P 16

I 17

R 16

Nope, I run with Eder, Durance, Kana, Aloth, and Grieving Mother. We're all level 7 right now.

Playing on Hard too before anyone asks. ;)

How did you build your pally? full damage? There is no way that he should be out dpsing grieving mother even if she is terribly specced

Shieldbearers are probably fine, but play to their strengths.  IMO, grab Lay on Hands and take the Shieldbearer specific LoH talent (+Deflection buff to LoH target).  One nice thing about paladins is that they have per encounter healing beginning at level 1.  Another nice thing paladins have going for them is Outworn Buckler which provides the paladin himself/herself with 13 deflection and +5 to all defenses without a loss to accuracy (compare to medium shields which give 12 deflection and -4 accuracy) and apparently the "Herald" enchant on the Buckler provides the +5 extra defenses as an aura to other party members (so they will all get +5 deflection, +5 F/W/R).  Quite an item for a tank/offtank with high passive defenses (which you can get by roleplaying!).

Forget about doing damage with a pally and maximize his tanking abilities and the ability duration. This character is not only an awesome tank, he is also the best for dialogue.

I have this stats for my PC:

20 (Human+Aedyr)

Forget about doing damage with a pally and maximize his tanking abilities and the ability duration. This character is not only an awesome tank, he is also the best for dialogue.

I have this stats for my PC:

20 (Human+Aedyr)

It isnt just damage, he has a pretty decent heal, by dumping might you ensure he heals for very little. Aside from roleplaying there is eally no reason to max int. I get not everyone min maxed but Im not sure the point of maxing something that gives you nothing. Especially above another 8 in con, -4dex +4might would have given him more health to tank with and more healing to heal if he ever does get low. Combine high might and con with moonlike, heals and you effectively double the Hp he has available. I guess int isnt a total waste of points but you would be much better spending them on might.

How did you build your pally? full damage? There is no way that he should be out dpsing grieving mother even if she is terribly specced

Abilities:

Flames of devotion

Zealous Focus

Sworn Enemy

Reviving Exhortation

Talents:

Two-handed Style

Weapon Focus Adventure

Critical focus

Currently using Drake's Bell + fine & burning lash

-Josh Sawyer

I don't get this obsession with min./maxing.

There are more ways to spec a character than maxing a few stats at the expense of others.

And frankly, you don't even NEED that many stats above 16 for dialogue. Withe the right gear and buffs, you can easily get good enough stats for every dialogue option.

I don't get this obsession with min./maxing.

There are more ways to spec a character than maxing a few stats at the expense of others.

And frankly, you don't even NEED that many stats above 16 for dialogue. Withe the right gear and buffs, you can easily get good enough stats for every dialogue option.

Personally I like feeling like my choices are important and I like feeling clever, my monk build for example is made so that torments strike hits two rows of mobs in most fights (unless the mobs have very big hitboxes) and also has the might and con high enough to take full advantage of the moon godlike heals. I maxed dexterity so that when I'm hit hard I can unload my wounds without them going to waste and i synergised that with other attack speed boosts. I prioritised interrupt over concentration because my attacks are so fast and as a result I mitigate a decent amount of damage just interrupting the enemy. Sanguine plate together with my aoe stun means when someone hits me it hurts them much more than it hurts me.

If you look at the solo expert/hard thread a few days ago there are plenty of people who enjoy theory crafter the perfect build