For a Cipher, attacking with a weapon is just a filler to generate focus.

There are 2 ways to generate focus:

- Deal as much damage as possible (every like 3-4 points damage dealt will grant one point of focus). The talent biting whip is a great help for that, but you'll probably want to take that regardless of weapon choice.

- Get the draining whip talent and deal damage as often as possible (which will grant you at least 2 focus per attack no matter how much damage you deal).

Personally I'm using an arbalest. Even after the nerf, it's still dealing enough damage to punch through most DR, resulting in high damage per shot and thus high focus generation. It has become significantly weaker since the patch, though. But unlike guns it doesn't come with an accuuracy penalty and the reload speed, while slow, is not as bad as with guns, so the occasional miss doesn't mean you stand around for 10 seconds before you get another shot at regaining focus. The gunner talent and the reload chant help, of course.

Blunderbuss, blunderbuss, blunderbuss.

For a Cipher, attacking with a weapon is just a filler to generate focus.

I'm pretty sure getting off attacks with a high Might character using a powerful weapon and a 1.2-1.44 damage modifier counts as more than just filler.

There are 2 ways to generate focus:

- Deal as much damage as possible (every like 3-4 points damage dealt will grant one point of focus). The talent biting whip is a great help for that, but you'll probably want to take that regardless of weapon choice.

- Get the draining whip talent and deal damage as often as possible (which will grant you at least 2 focus per attack no matter how much damage you deal).

Or do both, using a blunderbuss and penetrating shot.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Yeah, every cipher ends up getting both draining whip and biting whip anyways.

Personally, I like dual wield melee cipher with a ranger backup.  Basically play it as a rogue, just with a lot more crowd control.

Tenuous grasp is an awesome combat opener for a level 1 spell.

Edited by Daemonjax

Personally I feel that Guns fit the Cipher better than any weapon.

I don't know why, it just feels very Cipher...y to use a Pistol or Blunderbuss. 

Well, the ability to make a guy's head asplode was the whole point of Scanners, and you don't get Detonate until 9th level, so ...

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I use Arbalest personally. It has long range, prones on crits, high damage, and my Cipher has high dex and gunner so reloads it quickly enough.

Blunderbuss lacks against high DR, and requires extra talents to be good. It is quite nice with Draining Whip though. I used it in my hard playthrough but I'm using Arbalest for PotD.

My off-set is a Hatchet and Small Shield, which is something I give to all my damage characters along with Weapon and Shield style eventually. Major boost to survivability with no accuracy penalty to their spells.

Dual wield is really great for melee cipher. For me, melee cipher is like a rogue but with spells.

And then I always have a blunderbuss backed up in case I need to fill up my focus fast or in case I can't melee.

So either dual wield or blunderbuss imo.

During the beta I preferred dual wielding stilettos, but I have joined the firearms camp. This is large in part because of the change with perception. Now instead of Orlan, I use a Wild Elf. I also have Grieving Mother, so I have one of them cast Mental Binding before both my ciphers fire a volley to reap a massive amount of power--not to mention instagib that poor soul. Hunting Bow takes over from there.

Yeah, every cipher ends up getting both draining whip and biting whip anyways.

Personally, I like dual wield melee cipher with a ranger backup.  Basically play it as a rogue, just with a lot more crowd control.

Tenuous grasp is an awesome combat opener for a level 1 spell.

I get plenty of focus without Draining Whip so I dont bother to take it.

Dual stilletos for the win! Plays like an Arcane Trickster, only much stronger offense-wise.

Shreds everything. And with greater mobility and more micro-management, can put these mighty telepathic link feedback spells to good use.

Additional bonus is that WF:Ruffian covers the Blunderbuss as well, so you have a good backup option when the situation calls for it, like you need to silence the soft squishy in the back or it's too risky to go all offense.

I've gone for a speedy ranged wood elf cipher in my new game, use hunting bows, clothing instead of armor and high dex. Got draining whip for first talent. Only level 3 so far but I really like the build so far, gonna get a blunderboss for opener once I find one, but really enjoy the hunting bow so far. Haven't had any issues with getting focus and survive so far, and she dishes out a fair amount of damage.

Slow casting animation? How is that linked to guns?

Because the animation is directly tied to how many shots you fire in a given length of time.  This is also why the Chanter chant, that gives x2 reload speed and other benefits, is so amazing for a party that uses guns/arbalests/crossbows.  Faster animation = faster attacking = more DPS.  The less frames the game uses in between attacks, the better it is.

I'm a fan of using dual stilletos with a ranged weapon as a back up. Almost lvl 5 now. Once I find a blunderbuss, I'll probably use that as my ranged back up. Like others have said, it plays more like a thief type or a skirmisher. It's a ton of fun, and I rarely run out of focus. Makes keeping the CC up easier.

I'm a fan of using dual stilletos with a ranged weapon as a back up. Almost lvl 5 now. Once I find a blunderbuss, I'll probably use that as my ranged back up. Like others have said, it plays more like a thief type or a skirmisher. It's a ton of fun, and I rarely run out of focus. Makes keeping the CC up easier.

Get the Lead Spitter.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Lead_Spitter?cookieSetup=true

Easy to get early on.

Slow casting animation? How is that linked to guns?

Because the animation is directly tied to how many shots you fire in a given length of time.  This is also why the Chanter chant, that gives x2 reload speed and other benefits, is so amazing for a party that uses guns/arbalests/crossbows.  Faster animation = faster attacking = more DPS.  The less frames the game uses in between attacks, the better it is.

You said casting animation. Casting is not the same as weapon animation

Get the Lead Spitter.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Lead_Spitter?cookieSetup=true

Easy to get early on.

Right on. I'll give it a look!