After getting plenty of experience with the "2 tanks, 4 ranged" model of play, I've honestly gotten pretty tired of it. Partially, that's because it makes the game feel too easy. Partially, it's because I keep seeing all this sweet melee loot and growling that none of my characters have the opportunity to use it.

So I've decided to restart with a melee-oriented party, but I really can't make up my mind about how it should come together.

I'm thinking I'd like to use a party of 4 melee characters, with 2 heavy tanks, 2 off-tanks, and 2 ranged characters, but I'm still trying to figure out a specific setup that would be cool. Here are my thoughts so far, and I'd be happy for any critique or suggestions.

• Tank 1 - Shieldbearer Paladin. I've had some good experiences with this. Not sure about race or weapon selection - I was thinking Moon Godlike and Peasant (for spears/hatchets). 19/9/3/18/10/18.
  • Tank 2 - Godlike Monk. I'm actually going to respec Pallegina for this, as her racial ability just seems so right for Soul Mirror. Knight weapons seem okay, if only to cover swords. Uncertain about stat spread - I'll probably dump Int.
  • Off-tank 1 - A two-hander, specializing in Adventurer weapons for the versatility of Estoc/Poleaxe. Fighter and Barbarian both seem to have their virtues here, and I've been having trouble making any decisions about it.
  • Off-tank 2 - I know I want a dual-wielder, probably using either Ruffian or Noble weapons for their good selections of one-handed weapons, but aside from that, I'm drawing a blank. Barbarian? Rogue? :/
  • Ranged 1 - Druid. Dunno that it gets any more specific than that, druids just sorta just have one build - AoE king gogogo
  • Ranged 2 - Standard DPS Cipher. Maxed Mgt/Dex/Int, Blunderbuss, etc. Nothing to see here.

So, any ideas? Feedback, etc?

Thanks.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Noble Barbarian would be pretty good. Ravenwing and Mosquito are excellent Act 2 items.

Honestly? This team isn't going to make the game feel any more interesting. I think you might want to try a trio, duo, or solo run through the game.

Try to go all melee then.

Monk (semi-tank)

Chanter (semi-tank + buffs/debuffs)

Barbarian (dual wield dps)

Paladin (aura + buff)

Melee Cipher (try without control powers, only debuffs/buffs)

Melee Priest (for buffs)

Edited by ErlKing

^ I've been curious about an all-melee party myself, except I keep thinking about more true melee - like all fighters and barbarians or something, vs. stuff like "melee ciphers."

But I'd also agree that part of what can make game feel "easy" (Normal/Hard difficulty anyway) is a full party of six. It's interesting how something that felt fairly difficult with only three in your party suddenly becomes a relative breeze with six in your party (I've re-loaded quests to experiment with that and it's quite a difference).

I keep trying to think of a 3 or 4 party make up for myself, but like you I haven't quite come up with what I want to use, yet. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm pretty committed to using Druid and Cipher. Generally, they're my favorite classes in terms of actual good design.

Noble Barbarian would be pretty good. Ravenwing and Mosquito are excellent Act 2 items.

Mm. Seems reasonable.

Honestly? This team isn't going to make the game feel any more interesting. I think you might want to try a trio, duo, or solo run through the game.

Yeah, I kinda know ... but I think it's actually missing out on the loot that bothers me most, which is dumb, but ... yeah.

Edited by gkathellar

Idea is to try reverse Cipher. Usually cipher goes with ranged+control (mental binding, confuse, charm), but what about full melee cipher with  unpopular powers - pain-link , fractured volition, phantom foes, Wild Leech, Body Attunement.

But I guess it still doesnt count as true melee. You can always go 6 paladins for Holy Crusade.

my current  melee heavy party is

Paladin Decoy + scrolls (DR aura)

Fighter Decoy

Chanter Decoy + scrolls (+fortitude/will saves song)

Rogue dual wield  glass cannon

Barb (extended range 2h) glass cannon

Monk 2 wield fist  glass cannon

nice to cast AOE from first line - easy to aim cone spells with low friendly fire danger (scrolls) ..

Most fights revolve around holding the tank line (quite difficult without  hold ground/position command), poking them with barb from behind tank line and trying to flank with rogue/monk/chanter_phantom when feasible .. In tight spaces rogue&monk will switch to ranged weapons ..

Very vulnerable to AOE damage/debuffs because of the tight formation ..

Edited by peddroelm

WPNTVf7.jpg

I would use 2 tank paladins (for both DR and acc auras), 1 shieldbearer, 2nd not sure, 1-2 dps barbs, 1 chanter and a priest (priest is so good with physical damage party it's silly not to take him). In case of 1 barb not sure about the 6th guy. Can be a cipher or a druid if you like these. If you are inclined to take both, chanter is probably the  most dispensable here, but you'll have 3 range then (priest, druid, cipher). I believe priest will be fine with low might as an offtank or with quarterstaff as a backiine melee though.

Edited by MadDemiurg

I was thinking of stacking knight barbarians and noble wizards and giving everyone ridiculous amounts of Perception for AoE interrupts. Give the barbs a bunch of Morning Stars and have the Wizards all take Blast and then have everyone take Interrupting Blows. I'd definitely want a Chanter to keep "Thick Grew Their Tongues, Stumbling O'er Words" running and include a Priest (probably as PC) for additional buffs.

Those're some pretty strong voices in favor of a barbarian and a priest. Two ideas, then:

1. Melee cipher and back-line priest
  2. Priest of Skaen, performing as a mock rogue/priest via Prey on the Weak.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Those're some pretty strong voices in favor of a barbarian and a priest. Two ideas, then:

1. Melee cipher and back-line priest
  2. Priest of Skaen, performing as a mock rogue/priest via Prey on the Weak.

Thoughts?

Why not both? lol

Do a high health Retaliation Cipher ;D So many nukes.

Priest of Skaen would probably have to go with stiletto + light shied probably and high RES at least (maybe RES an PER), but if you dump might completely there's no point in Skaen and you don't want to dump INT or DEX.

Melee cipher without a reach weapon suffers from same squishiness problems, but at least has some great benefits from it like freely using antipathetic field and ectopsycic echo for great damage and generates focus faster than the ranged one. You can also give him a retaliation item later on for even more focus. Overall looks like a more fun option.

Try to go all melee then.

Monk (semi-tank)

Chanter (semi-tank + buffs/debuffs)

Barbarian (dual wield dps)

Paladin (aura + buff)

Melee Cipher (try without control powers, only debuffs/buffs)

Melee Priest (for buffs)

Hey that's not a bad party, might try this one next playthrough.

For Firedorn all the Lads grieve

This Adam woke up next to Eve.

But beneath leaves of Fig,

He found Berries and Twig,

So Himself off a cliff he did heave.

I am running a Hearth Orlan priest of Skaen right now. He's gone full melee at this point, with all his talents dedicated to making him better at stabbing things. It's nice, because he's right up close anyway, so when he needs to cast a spell, for whatever reason, he's right where he needs to be. Also, he does pretty awesome damage with stiletto/club combo (Oidhreacht and Dial Ewn Dibata at the moment). Sided with the Doemenels and was pleasantly surprised to see more crit damage multiplier, so now I'm trying to decide if, now that I have access to the stuff in Twin Elms, go double club or double stiletto. The -3 DR is nice, but +5 extra Acc seems REALLY good when I get +1.8 damage mod from crits...

But yeah, it's working out REALLY well. I'm only playing on Hard, but I have a VERY story based build (15/8/10/15/15/15) with Slave background, cause Skaen, and it's been really fun so far.

Edited by DragonDai

OP: you're still leaning quite heavily to the concept of tanks. Druids can be decent in melee ! Shapeshifting early on, then you have the spell Taste of the Hunt and multiple cones. I can have around 17 Piercing and Slashing DR (most common ones) in exceptional proofed leather armor. In hindsight I would take specialization Soldier, this would let me use Firebrand spell, which is a Great Sword with Damaging 2 and Annihilation.

People are too stuck in the "caster can't fight" mindset. I like PoE because it's back to roots - remember, even Gandalf fought with a sword.

Melee don't have enough interesting active abilities right now. You'll end up somewhat less powerful group that's less micro management intensive is all.

There are also only so many items with retaliation to cheese with, which is what most "uber" melee builds abuse right now.

I had kind of the same idea after completing the game.

My second playthrough is shaping up this way:

Pallegina- Tank, running DR aura

Eder- Melee DPS, dual wielding sabres. It feels so classy! Plus he could use a break from tanking. He's my go to off-tank, still.
PC-Bleak Walker Paladin. Running Accuracy aura with a reach weapon (Pike). This gives the aura to everyone (usually).

Hiravais-Reach Melee (Quarterstaff). I try to keep him in melee and using his werewolf ability often.
Aloth-Back line, roleplaying as a pyromage.

Grieving Mother- General backline cipher. I'm really just using her because I got her too late last playthrough to progress through her story.

Generally it works out 2 close combat, 2 reach melee, 2 ranged (with Aloth constantly running around to maximize the angles on the fire spells). It's pretty entertaining. If I didn't have the story consideration for Grieving Mother, I'd replace her with a Barbarian just for giggles.