Patch Notes

Update from Brandon Adler:

"Just so everyone knows, I am going to start a special beta branch in Steam tomorrow so people can start playing the beta build if they would like.

I will post more info about it tomorrow, then link it to this post."

_______

No fix on Rogue's Reckless Assault ability that stacks and can't be turned off (Patch 1.03 didn't do jack for it ok...).  My rogue does 1000 dmg and gets 1 shot so I still can't play. Yay.

Edited by TrueMenace
  • Like 2

Calibrating...

A moment of silence round of applause for the addicts lucky few who will be chosen for the PoE Steam beta. No sleep for the beta Watchers.

??...

You will have the ability to opt-in at your own discretion on Steam.

• Like 1

Calibrating...

I'm personally disappointed that the permanent health increase bug is not among the fixes, since it's apparently still happening a lot even after 1.03. Since I've completed the game once on hard I really just want all bugs that make the game easier fixed so I can have a hopefully at least somewhat challenging PotD run.

• Like 1

Glad to see loading times being addressed. So there's a 1.05 patch that's in the works, and that should have some major changes to class balance yes? Not seeing much of that for 1.04. 

When's the last patch going to hit? Not being snarky, just got bitten before from sniper rifle to This Machine nerf and Animal Friend that got boosted to mildly useful perk due to the inclusion of night stalkers. But I would have suffered from burnout by the time I reroll character #21 just to get things right for the latest patch. 

Yeah I'm all for putting my nerd glasses on and doing min-maxing, but not knowing that all that work needs an overhaul in the name of balancing for every patch. Half your fans who grew up with BG and Torment are in their mid 30s, some of us are are hitting 40s and we don't have the luxury of time that we did 2 decades ago. 

Edited by Blackthane

I'm personally disappointed that the permanent health increase bug is not among the fixes, since it's apparently still happening a lot even after 1.03. Since I've completed the game once on hard I really just want all bugs that make the game easier fixed so I can have a hopefully at least somewhat challenging PotD run.

Yep, me too. I started a fresh character for patch 1.03 but noticed it was still present... I have no idea what causes it but would like to know so I can avoid it. I posted it in tech support forums https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/76528-buffed-health-still-bugged/?do=findComment&comment=1648224

barb_buff.png

Edited by McPartyson

No fix on Rogue's Reckless Assault ability that stacks and can't be turned off (Patch 1.03 didn't do jack for it ok...).  My rogue does 1000 dmg and gets 1 shot so I still can't play. Yay.

I can turn mine off just fine since patch 1.03.524, but I created a new game for the rogue playthrough at that point... maybe the fix wasn't retro-active?

Pretty small patch.  I am looking forward to the 1.05 balance patch.

Have they stated that 1.05 will focus on balancing?

"Urquhart fully recognizes that even though the game is out there, there is still work to be done. That includes upcoming patches, with Urquhart noting that 1.05, in particular, set to introduce some quality of life improvements. This includes allowing players to change portraits, balance tweaks, and other adjustments based on player feedback."

http://www.shacknews.com/article/89004/obsidian-ceo-discusses-pillars-of-eternity-its-early-success-and-its-first-expansion

• Like 1

Let's actually post the preliminary notes in this thread:

These are the tentative patch notes for 1.04. We have started generating builds for QA and are planning to release it in a few business days, if not sooner, depending on how testing goes. These are subject to change, and additional items may end up being added in the final notes. The team is now working on patch 1.05, and only critical fixes will be added to 1.04 to make sure we can release this as soon as we can. We are most definitely continuing to read through support threads and e-mails to us (even if we haven't been responsive enough sad.png) and we plan to continue doing so for the foreseeable future!

Items, Spells, and Abilities

• AoE indicators should now properly resize if the caster has a sub 10 Intellect score.
  • Fixed an issue with over-time aura spells not applying the correct value on the final tick.
  • Knock Down will now correctly be applied for the full duration of the effect.
  • Mantle of The Dying Boar will now trigger at 33% Endurance with the effect of 5 Endurance a tick.
  • Talisman of the Unconquerable will now give a 1.25 Focus multiplier instead of .25.
  • Blooded should trigger properly in all cases now.
  • Boar Animal Companion bonus damage should now work as intended.
  • Prone Reduction mod should now work correctly.
Quests and Companions
  • Fixed Aloth and Kana speaking when they weren't in the party in one of the last levels.
  • Sagani's fox-specific banters now require the appropriate items in the player inventory.
  • Falanroed's dialogue no longer displays a script node.
  • Durance will now properly discuss your dream with you if you've already discussed his staff.
  • Relaxed some constraints on Durance's quest conversation. This allows all characters, regardless of background or stats, to finish his quest.
  • Players can now loot the nest in Oldsong.
  • Fixed an invalid conditional check in one of Pallegina's conversations.
  • Heritage Hill tower will be fully revealed when exploring the map.
  • Fixed spawn issue in a scripted interaction near the end of the game.
  • Fixed an invalid creature spawn in the Ogre Lair in Od Nua.
  • Sagani no longer references the antagonist by name before you know it.
  • A container in the Catacombs of Od Nua will now remember if it was looted.
  • The "Master's Tools" quest will now work if you have the required items before starting the quest.
  • The "A Two Story Job" scripted interaction will not require a second grappling hook to climb down from the window if one was already used to climb up.
General Fixes
  • Optimized Save/Load game system for better performance.
  • Optimized how scene transitions are handled for better memory usage on 32-bit machines. This may allow players to transition to new areas without running out of memory.
  • Sound Sets from hired companions will now be properly restored when adding them to the party from the stronghold.
  • "All Stronghold Upgrades" achievement now checks 25 upgrades instead of 26. This will properly reward the achievement if you already have fully upgraded your stronghold.
  • The "Kill All Dragons" achievement will now properly fire if they are killed indirectly (like by a trap). This is a retroactive fix and will be rewarded if the dragons are already dead.
  • Fixed issue where store prices were getting exceptionally large after receiving a discount.
  • Fixed issues with gaining infinite XP from bad Stronghold data.
  • World time will not get very large in some cases after Save/Load.
  • Modelling offset with Durance's head has been adjusted.
  • Icon scale is now correct on Hearth Harvest and Reghar Konnek.
  • All shaders will now compile properly under DirectX 11.
  • Restored all the missing effects in the intro cutscene.
  • Removed Blunderbuss item from an early game loot table.
  • Changed the cursor type on the blood pool in the Temple of Skaen to conversation.
  • Fixed a few save game issues with dead summoned creatures.
  • Fixed issue where occasionally a crash would occur when initializing the Steam API.
  • Draggable windows are now handled properly when running at very high resolutions.
  • Swamp Lurker's animation won't spaz anymore when the game is paused.
  • Fixed an issue to prevent binding mouse buttons to window controls.
  • Game will now pause if you Alt-Tab during a cutscene in full screen mode.
  • Audio will now resume properly if the game loses focus.
  • Fixed an issue with infinite load screen if you transition while hovering over a container.
  • Characters will now wait for their idle animation before trying to reload which fixes an animation sync issue.
  • Damaged characters performing AoE attacks will not overload their AI state stacks anymore.

Should've included it in the OP, really.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

Am I the only one seeing the notes and thinking.. "Eh, whatever"? Compared to the wealth of debatable changes in 1.03, this one doesn't even feel like it's worth discussing, really.

Which is actually a good thing, considering that many of the changes in 1.03 was so questionable, this looks like a straight-up positive improvement in all regards. I was still hoping that they would go back on some of the changes in 1.03, but I guess that's too much to hope for.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Most important change might be the save game changes (load times) as they effect everyone.

Second one might be the remove of Blunderbuss from low levels which balance Cipher early play a bit.

I like the fast patching cycle.

Most fixes/changes might not effect me but it's nice to see "work in progress" ;).

Edited by Schakar

Patch Notes

Update from Brandon Adler:

"Just so everyone knows, I am going to start a special beta branch in Steam tomorrow so people can start playing the beta build if they would like.

I will post more info about it tomorrow, then link it to this post."

_______

Awesome.

Hopefully 1.6 is a stronghold patch - to fix everything that doesn't make sense with it.

I think that's unfortunately beyond the purview of a Patch. You'd need a bunch of new content.

Eastern Barbican finishes instantly, but Western Barbican takes days. Wat.

• Like 3

t50aJUd.jpg

I was kinda hoping that they would change their attribute design, which is bad quite frankly, and remove magical prowess from might.

Also no stronghold improvements makes me sad, hopefully in the near future then...

Optimized how scene transitions are handled for better memory usage on 32-bit machines. This may allow players to transition to new areas without running out of memory.

God I love you guys at Obsidian so much. Thank you for fixing it so those of us on dinosaur machines can play. I wish nothing but good things your way Obsidian bros.

I even hope Josh's hair grows back.

• Like 3

"Relaxed some constraints on Durance's quest conversation. This allows all characters, regardless of background or stats, to finish his quest."

Wait what? It was impossible for some character builds to finish his quest? 0.o

And nothing about the cage curser still breaking on quicksaves, and prone being broken :-/