Ygritte, Barbarian Archer build?

Yeah, Barbarian brings nothing to the table for Archer(S).

Ciphers I think make the best Archers, since you can increase bow damage by 1.4 on all attacks with soul whip + biting whip, then penetrating shot, marksman, wood elf, and then the +6 accuracy boost for whatever bow - war bow is the best bet.

Sadly the "Ranger" is just bad with bows..

Yeah the ranger isn't the best damage dealer but since Tigra mentionned he wanted to make an Ygritte like character, I thought a ranger would be the closest match.

Only problem with Ranger is that Ygritte isn't a warg, so the animal companion wouldn't really match up. She's essentially a dexterous fighter specializing in archery, as far as I can see.

Well to make a RP build you could go, like suggested, with a fighter or a rogue, then you choose The White that Wends as your culture and hunter as your background. She will start with a hide armor, just buy a bow from Heodan at the begining and voila.

Guys. Guys.

Make Ygritte a ranger. Give her a wolf named "Jon Snow".

Or make a custom Ranger named Jon Snow with a wolf named Ghost. :p

Give him low int and lore because "you know nothing, Jon Snow".

Edited by View619
  • Like 2

"But...Ygritte isn´t a barbarin"

Yeah, she is.

I'd say that she's a Ranger, except the Animal Companion pretty much screws that.

She's a rogue.

Yeah, she is.

Culturally, maybe, but I ain't never seen her charge into a horde of dudes and start cutting them all up, and that's what a barbarian is.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Yeah, she is.

I'd say that she's a Ranger, except the Animal Companion pretty much screws that.

She's a rogue.

Yeah, she is.

Culturally, maybe, but I ain't never seen her charge into a horde of dudes and start cutting them all up, and that's what a barbarian is.

That's what some barbarians do, mostly in popular media. Barbarians are simply uncivilized, warring peoples, and the wildlings seem to fit the bill, including Ygritte. She never showed any particular affinity with nature beyond what any tribal person would so I'd rule out the ranger role.

PoE is easy enough that you can get away with playing a ranged barbarian. This does highlight the limitations with the game's class system though.

Good god, people. Barbarian is a type of culture, Ranger is a profession.

Ygritte was a barbarian ranger. She was from an 'uncivlized' nomadic group of hunter-gatherers, and her primary role in that society was as a scout/hunter/archer - ie a ranger.

In the context of PoE, Barbarians are melee dps combatants, which is definitely NOT what Ygritte was. Ranger is closer, but as ygritte wasn't friend to the animals the mechanically best class to represent her would probably be rogue.

What does it matter what class she'd be? as long as she could do well with a bow, she'd be good to go.

Wish there were an option for rangers not to take animal companions.

I was thinking about a witcher themed party

Geralt - barb or cipher?

Ciri - rogue or barb

Triss - priest or wizard

Yennefer - wizard or cipher

Dandilion - chanter

Yarpen - fighter

additional

Zoltan - fighter

Milva - ranger

Regis - druid or priest(can druids shift into bats? :D)

or Cahir as Paladin instead of one of the last three.

Edited by Quillon

Barbarians are simply uncivilized, warring peoples, and the wildlings seem to fit the bill, including Ygritte.

Oh, see, I thought we were talking about barbarian the character class, not barbarian the imperialist fantasy about foreign cultures.

In that case, she's definitely a barbarian. I mean, she doesn't speak any Greek.

Barbarian is a type of culture,

what is this i cant even

• Like 2

Barbarian in the context of RPGs are usually a type/class of melee fighter using medium to light armor and some kind of berserker/rage feature.

vs.

Barbarian in terms of culture is used as an umbrella term for less advanced cultures (from the "we are so advanced"-culture's POV). Originally a word for people who couldn't speak proper (ancient) greek, so we are all barbarians i guess ;)

Edited by pstone

Barbarians are simply uncivilized, warring peoples, and the wildlings seem to fit the bill, including Ygritte.

Oh, see, I thought we were talking about barbarian the character class, not barbarian the imperialist fantasy about foreign cultures.

In that case, she's definitely a barbarian. I mean, she doesn't speak any Greek.

Where do you think the DnD barbarian class comes from?

Where do you think the DnD barbarian class comes from?

As of 1E? Conan, mostly, combined with a dose of uniquely Gygaxian weirdness.

As of 3E? What it was intended to be was about 1/3 Conan, 1/3 callbacks to earlier editions, and 1/3 imperialist racism. But D&D is famously bad at following through on its intentions, so mostly it just ended up being a melee heavyweight that liked its battles short and sweet (with a side of racism).

Barbarian is a type of culture,

what is this i cant even

Yes, that is what barbarian means - it refers to culture.

For the ancient Greeks, you were either Greek culture or you were Barbarian.

For the classical Romans, you were either Roman culture, Greek culture, Egyptian culture, or Barbarian.

For the medieval Christians, you were either a converted Christian (including the culture that goes with that) or you were Barbarian.

Barbarian is not a word describing profession, location, or life experience. It's a word describing the culture someone comes from.

• Like 1