How many skillpoints in each skill? (Possible Spoilers)

Well I've been wondering how much points should we allocate in each skill before you get diminishing returns. So far, I've noticed the following:

Athletics: I know 3 points are enough to avoid combat fatige, but an extra point does not hurt for long travels. At least one party member should have high Athletics for scripted events, but i don't know beyond what point you are wasting points.

Lore: Give this to any character you wish to use scrolls with, anything more than 10 points is a waste since they highest level of scrolls is 5 and no scripted event requires more than that.

Mechanics: Only one party member needs this, but it has to be as high as possible. I'm not sure if there are any locks or traps that require more than 10 mechanics though.

Stealth: It's a matter of taste. Two points for everyone are enough for basic pre positioning, every point from there will allow you to get closer to mobs undetected. The characters who get the most out of stealth are rogues and tanks so maybe you could give them some more points.

Survival: The least useful skill, consumables are usually long lasting enough to last the entire battle. Still the more you level up, the more points you'll alllocate here if only because you don't need to go higher in other skills. 4 points give you a 20% extra consumable duration, so it's not something to go crazy about but then again it's not that expensive since it only takes 10 points to get here.

Last but not least we have the skills for the main PC since those are the ones the game uses for dialogue. By far lore is the one that gives the most dialogue choices, Stealth and Survival pop every now and then however they are not difficult checks. I don't recall any Athletics or Mechanics check in dialogues.

Edited by Vadász

Hmmm.... I'm in a bind on my PC Rogue, because I want both high stealth (for scouting) and high mechanics for role-playing reasons.

I know I could have another "mechanic" in the party, but it doesn't feel right to have anyone but a Rogue picking locks and disarming traps. Oh well, I guess I'll just balance it between those two as I level up, with just enough in Athletics not to tire out too often.

thanks mahe... useful information... shame there's no one place to find these though, currently getting frustrated by all the locked items and only using grieving mother with her +1 cipher bonus to mechanics I think is better than durance... I think it takes over at 8+, that said at level 10 I think there's only a saving of like 4 points over durance - durance = 49 skill points to achieve level 10 mechanics,while GM only needs 45.

Personally I like the idea of just rolling a custom rogue npc mechanics monkey for locks 10+ and bringing them along when required. But not sure if I could be bothered heh. I guess getting to 10 and then using the scrolls of wonder or whatever they're called or getting the mechanics resting bonus from the inns could be useful... speaking of which... does anyone know which the best inn / resting bonus is for mechanics?

thanks mahe... useful information... shame there's no one place to find these though, currently getting frustrated by all the locked items and only using grieving mother with her +1 cipher bonus to mechanics I think is better than durance... I think it takes over at 8+, that said at level 10 I think there's only a saving of like 4 points over durance - durance = 49 skill points to achieve level 10 mechanics,while GM only needs 45.

Personally I like the idea of just rolling a custom rogue npc mechanics monkey for locks 10+ and bringing them along when required. But not sure if I could be bothered heh. I guess getting to 10 and then using the scrolls of wonder or whatever they're called or getting the mechanics resting bonus from the inns could be useful... speaking of which... does anyone know which the best inn / resting bonus is for mechanics?

best i found so far is +1 mechanics... so you could just save your money, and rest in your stronghold, if you upgraded it.

There are several inns which provide bonuses to skills, including Mechanics. Furthermore, your starting class and background determine your starting skill levels. For example, Fighter gives +1 Lore and +1 Athletics and I think +1 to something else, while Merchant gives +1 to Lore and Mechanics (those were what I chose for my first completed character).

I found them in a hidden (mechanics) compartment in the room with the Nridek during the Bronze Of The Lake quest for the Dozens. If they aren't there every time, well that's highly annoying.

It also means you need to sign up with the Dozens, which some may not want to do.

You need one person (ideally an NPC) with high mechanics. Unless you're soloing, stealth is pretty negligible. 

Lore is easily the best skill, though -- and one that every single one of your party members should have at ~10 for scrolls.

I found the gloves of manipulation directly across from the cell holding that prisoner in the dungeons under raedric's hold.

look in the cell opposite his, or the next one down, for a secret stash.  they are in that stash.  I have found them there, every time.

see this map:

http://game-maps.com/PoE/Map-Raedrics-Hold-Dungeons.asp

at "3" is where Giacco is, and not the cell directly opposite, but the one just down from that one, there is a secret stash.  the gloves are there, guaranteed.

a survival skill of 4 allows you to also pass at least a couple of skill checks, fwiw (has to be on your main character though).

a bit of stealth on aloth is useful, as some of his best spells have short range, so you can sneak up and get them off before anythign is able to respond.

like the level 2 paralyze spell.  with level 4 or 5 stealth, he can paralyze a tough opponent at the start of a fight by sneaking up first, and doesn't have to worry about getting smacked.

very useful against ogre druids, for example.

Man I hope you're right... I'm heading back there tonight when I get home, awesomesauce. Thanks for the very detailed description of where they are Ichthyic... much appreciated :)

Yeah I think from memory the first time I went there I only had durance with me at the time with 3 in mechanics and I'm not sure he was the one "closest" to the position you were indicating, and if 3 mechanics is enough to spot it. I'd imagine it would be given the time in the story line that this hold is likely to be cleared out.

yup.  I have Kana using scrolls that do best with intelligence, eder using scrolls that do best with might, and myself (tanky paladin) using all the other kinds of scrols, like immediate disablers.

works very well.  not only are scrolls relatively cheap to buy, but they are also cheap to make (plus you get 2 at a time).

this is the very first crpg I can recall playing where I used scrolls in almost every combat.

I found the gloves of manipulation directly across from the cell holding that prisoner in the dungeons under raedric's hold.

look in the cell opposite his, or the next one down, for a secret stash.  they are in that stash.  I have found them there, every time.

see this map:

http://game-maps.com/PoE/Map-Raedrics-Hold-Dungeons.asp

at "3" is where Giacco is, and not the cell directly opposite, but the one just down from that one, there is a secret stash.  the gloves are there, guaranteed.

No gloves for me in that location, too bad that is random.

I've been in there in 4 games so far, and have never found the gloves in that spot.