Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What ending did you choose?

poll ending spoilers gods choice

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

Poll: What ending did you choose? (472 member(s) have cast votes)

Which god did you side with, at the very end of the game?

1. Woedica/Skaen (feed the souls to Woedica) (15 votes [3.18%])

Percentage of vote: 3.18%

2. Rymrgand (destroy the souls) (13 votes [2.75%])

Percentage of vote: 2.75%

3. Galawain (feed the souls to the Dyrwoodans) (104 votes [22.03%])

Percentage of vote: 22.03%

4. Wael (scatter the souls) (47 votes [9.96%])

Percentage of vote: 9.96%

5. Berath (return the souls to the cycle) (99 votes [20.97%])

Percentage of vote: 20.97%

6. Hylia (return the souls to the hollowborn children) (194 votes [41.10%])

Percentage of vote: 41.10%

Vote Guests cannot vote

The Sharmat

The Sharmat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 847 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

By understanding the mechanism of it and making the imprint so strong with divine intervention that it never changes? Woedica apparently has his soul well in hand for every part of the cycle. They even manage to tweak his biology so he's always born exactly the same man, physically, too. He's not just thaos' soul in a bunch of different bodies through the years. He's always the same guy that originally was born in Engwith. To Thaos, at least, the biology does seem to matter.

EDIT: Wait are you talking about his soul projection when he possesses people? That's always very short term, and still using Woedica's cheats and Thaos' knowledge of animancy. Plus it's usually cohabitating with another soul. And finally, I never denied that souls retain a memory of what was there before. I'm seriously not sure either of us understands what the other is getting at.

Edited by The Sharmat, 06 April 2018 - 07:34 PM.

fgalkin

fgalkin

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yes, but if a soul is merely an imprint, then suppressing another's soul should not give you control over their body, and yet that is exactly what happens when Thaos possesses people. Here's another case for you- the Devil of Caroc. If the soul is merely a collection of imprints and memories, how is it able to animate the golem with the original personality's intact?  

• Juodas Varnas likes this

The Sharmat

The Sharmat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 847 posts

Yes, but if a soul is merely an imprint, then suppressing another's soul should not give you control over their body, and yet that is exactly what happens when Thaos possesses people.

I don't see why that necessarily follows since it's established the imprint lasts multiple lifetimes but is usually just sitting around in storage until the soul fragments or recombines.

Devil of Caroc: Not a natural case anymore than Thaos. Perhaps as long as a soul is attached to something and not floating in the ether identity isn't leeched from it like it normally would be?

Tanjaxxx

Tanjaxxx

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 149 posts

Galawain's choice was best for my "The strong take from the weak" mentality-like druid raider, while Hylia's choice was best for my Artist. As for my cruel Skean priestess, allying with Woedica worked best. 

My personal favourite though? Can't chose between Galawain and Hylia as dumb as that may sound....They both fit me, or at the very least, they used to at one point....Being both an artist and a (what Durance calls Magren) is both a curse and a blessing lol. 

Update: I'd say Hylia's choice fits me best now. But Galawain would be my best bet a few years back. lol. 

Still...........I think I prefer Galawain's choice. xDDD 

But ya, I did all of those 3. 

Edited by Tanjaxxx, 20 April 2018 - 03:01 AM.

Cerebro83

Cerebro83

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Considering the ending slides, I think Galawain is the best choice, as it results in the most positive outcome for the Dyrwood. In my playthroughs, I switched between Galawain and Berath. If I was in the Watcher's shoes in real life, however, I guess I'd take Hylea in order to give the remaining Holloborns their souls back.

house2fly

house2fly

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 789 posts
It's worth bearing in mind that with Hylea at least SOME children will be saved, even if not many; every other option involves writing those same children off

Edited by house2fly, 22 April 2018 - 06:55 AM.

The Sharmat

The Sharmat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 847 posts

Aufra is assuredly screwed in all but the Hylea ending since you just saw Thaos recharge the relay at Cilant Lis. Do it for Calisca.

jtbehnke

jtbehnke

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 121 posts

Aufra is assuredly screwed in all but the Hylea ending since you just saw Thaos recharge the relay at Cilant Lis. Do it for Calisca.

From what I understand, this isn't the case.  If you completed her quest, you get a letter from her in Deadfire stating her kid is healthy and wants to meet you someday, regardless of which ending you actually chose, which makes sense since the reason the Hollowborn stuff is happening is because of Thaos' active meddling, and once that meddling stops kids can be born as normal.

That said, Hylea's up near the top of my list, though I think Galawain is probably the best choice for the Dyrwood.  On the other hand, I also do feel a bit of a tug towards Wael, mainly due to Hiravias, though I'll probably avoid his request because it implicitly asks you to break a promise to another god, an act guaranteed to cause more suffering and just not cool if you roleplay your Watcher as a real stand-up person, like I plan to do.

• Rheios likes this

Rheios

Rheios

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I wiggled between Berath and Hylea. I like Berath's consistency, stoicism, and coldly pragmatic view on things and thought those values he brought to the view on how to deal with the souls were well argued. But I also appreciated Hylea's love of art and life and hope for the future by giving the children back their souls so that they had the chance to grow and improve. I've grown to appreciate Abydon and Galawain as well, seeing as how they also seek to empower humanity, but something about Berath just runs in line with my own views and in my main watcher. I ended up going Berath for the first run, Hylea for the second, and for this third one I'm going Abydon/Galawain. 

I actually was okay with most of the gods, it was really only Woedica, Eothas, Skaen, and Rymrgand that I saw any problems with. And I could have backed Woedica's concept of Law and Vengeance if she wasn't stealing kids' souls to fund her power. That *has* to be worth of Vengeance under any sane Law, so I can only deduce her a bit of a failure at her position and deserving of the punishment inflicted by the other deities. Eothas I kindof liked at first but his approach seemed very counter to his sphere as well. Skaen and Rymrgand  are just a concept/spheres I disagree with in general, more than  anyone I believed was doing a bad job at representing their spheres. I disliked Ondra's personality but couldn't discount her dedication to her purpose either. 

Edited by Rheios, 17 July 2018 - 04:40 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: poll, ending, spoilers, gods, choice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users