498 members have voted

1. 1. Which god did you side with, at the very end of the game?

• Woedica/Skaen (feed the souls to Woedica)
    • Rymrgand (destroy the souls)
    • Galawain (feed the souls to the Dyrwoodans)
    • Wael (scatter the souls)
    • Berath (return the souls to the cycle)
    • Hylia (return the souls to the hollowborn children)

Guest BugsVendor

I was kind of torn between Berath, Wael and Hylea 

I felt like my character thought that messing with souls was the absolute worst and I was eager to 'set things straight'. I went with Hylea though because my mind somehow picked out that poor woman in Ondra's Gift who lost her son because of her **** of a husband.

At least she got her little girl back. Worth it.  

It is funny how this story and that expecting sister of caravan girl made me care so much more for the story than Thaos, Marwald or anything else O_o.

I'm not sure people here understand how souls work?

You can't just summon back a destroyed soul by randomly throwing other people's souls at it.

Grumpy Dwarf made it pretty clear the Godhammer wasn't designed just to kill the person, but also the soul...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Wow, more peeps picked Hylea than I thought. It was quite a cruel option in a big way, and a very tragic one as seen in the end-game credits.

For instance. Imagine being ressurected into a hollowborn wicht, suddenly waking up, your biological structure completely different and a hissing uncanny voice. It's horrible :p and furthermore, all the parents in sorrow and regret. It's the most tragic ending you could've chosen, I believe. But still, there is some beauty in it even though it is extremely tragic... and that is the flourishing of creativity.

No doubt the souls will travel through Hylea's "adra" vein or whatever, and be influenced to creativity, to love and to war and to everything that "creates" something. Hylea is probably the most "creationist" God of them all, in a way.

I want to do a Wael ending too, because it's the most deceptive of them all (in a broad sense, and from my perspective). Sling the souls into chaos, and no one will know where they may end up or what may happen. It's the RNG God. And I found it in many ways the most interesting God (due to the mysterious nature of "it" or "him"). It's probably my favorite God, yet I didn't really play by his rules with my character (My character was way more of a Rymrgrand or Berath devil, almost guided by the Usher or the Pale Lady as he cleared out and killed everything :p cleansing the land of everything that moved).

I'm also curious what happens if you would decide to go on a massive killing spree and take out every NPC that you can see in the game. Will that affect the story in any way? I know that you break the Caravan if you defeat them (you can't progress at all if you do that), so I'm expecting a similar outcome if you do that in Twin Elms or Defiance Bay or something. But still...!

Would be interesting if there's an "All out slaughtering" ending where you just... obliterate everyone :p just because! Cleanse the lands! *insert evil laughter of your choice*

Edited by Osvir

• 1 year later...

Time to re-animate this thread:

I played three times through Pillars and I always choose Hylea. Berath is the most "logical" decision, but we finally have the opportunity to change something in the Dyrwood. We can give children the chance to live now and disrupt the status quo for once, so it feels always right for me. Of course not all children will be healed, but even the small chance that at least a few of them will have a normal life is enough in my book. And all those parents that hoped for the return of their children shouldn't be punsished. 

It was a big risk, but in the end it was worth it.

Edited by Harry Easter

I am really surprised to see that most players chose Hylea. I think it is very reasonable to say that it is not a good idea to restore probably damaged souls to already damaged children. And surely it is a risk cause you do not know what will happen exactly, no one has tried such "treatment" before. Not to mention that Hylea is kind of weird although she is nice and positive most of the time. I chose Galawain's ending. Now on my second walkthrough I ll choose another option, maybe Rymrgand.

TRUTH IS I AM MEGA CURIOUS ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS IF I SUPPORT WOEDICA ! I have not played the expansion yet. I ll have to be patient and see.

TRUTH IS I AM MEGA CURIOUS ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS IF I SUPPORT WOEDICA ! I have not played the expansion yet. I ll have to be patient and see.

As I'm not going to make a next run soon (and even if I will I won't side with Woedica), so I checked the wiki and MEH happens.

But probably the impact will be more visible in Deadfire. Hopefully.

1st time I picked Wael

2nd time I picked Galawain

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Galawain is my dude, but in case it makes a difference in the next game I've got some rough ideas for characters who'd side with the other gods. There's 11 gods and 11 classes so it works out pretty well- one character to side with each god (Eothas is a wild card but I figure he'd probably like the Hylea option). I guess I should also make some promises and break them at the end, just in case that comes up in the next game too...

• 2 weeks later...

I went with Hylea the first time. The wichts are troubling, but I also suspect that only a few souls will be impacted. There weren't that many wichts to begin with, and I suspect that humans with animal souls wouldn't have very high survival rates in the wild. As for the older children, I think it's a mixed bag. The souls may very well be damaged. However, it seems like the parents who were willing to care for a Hollowborn child for five or ten years would also be well-suited to raising a child who now has a soul but may never have a completely normal life. And, ultimately, I suspect the number of Hollowborn that are toddler-age or below exceeds that of the older Hollowborn who are still alive.

My second time around, I went with Berath's option. That character was a less sympathetic sort and thought it would be the most efficient means of ensuring that the supply of souls wasn't further depleted without dealing with the social side effects caused by Hylea's option. I don't necessarily think that souls will be kept in too long of a queue. The kith birthrate will increase, and if nothing else, mice are born and mice die everyday.

I may do a third playthrough before Deadfire comes out, and with the character I have in mind, I think I might end up going with Galwain. I've always sort of wanted to choose Wael's route, but it's never been something I can follow through with.

Edited by eselle28

• 4 weeks later...

Galawain's way is actually probably the best for Dyrwood judging by slides. I'm going with Wael for Deadfire (that has to have some impact, right? RIGHT?), but all in all an ending that makes me stop and think long and hard on what to actually do is a great ending imo.

I'm not sure whether it is better for the Dyrwood to increase the birth rate (Berath), to strength those who are already alive (Galawain), or to right the Hollowborn wrong (Hylea).  Similarly it's hard to say whether siding with Rymrgand or Woedica ends up making the Dyrwood worse off, though obviously both are quite bad for the Dyrwood's future. 

I'm not sure whether it is better for the Dyrwood to increase the birth rate (Berath), to strength those who are already alive (Galawain), or to right the Hollowborn wrong (Hylea).  Similarly it's hard to say whether siding with Rymrgand or Woedica ends up making the Dyrwood worse off, though obviously both are quite bad for the Dyrwood's future. 

It's a difficult decision, so you may only follow your gut. So, which one did you choose?

I must have spent half an hour debating who I would pick.

In the end I went with Hylea because it seemed like the right thing to do for my super good Watcher. (who also lied to people a lot)
In my eyes it seemed like a win/win for Hylea AND Berath

The still living Hollowborn will become real children, parents who lost their children get twins with the soul that would have went into their Hollowborn child

and all the left over souls go back into the Wheel.

However, given what I know, I think the giving the power to the people of the Dyrwud (Galawain/Abydon/Mogran) so that they can have the will to live again is a great choice.

• Like 1

It is human nature to seek culpability in a time of tragedy. It is a sign of strength to cry out against fate, rather than to bow one’s head and succumb. Inevitably many will fault the hands upon the sword which felled Typhon, the Ordo Malleus. But the Inquisition merely performs the duty of its office. To further fear them is redundant; to hate them, heretical. Those more sensible will place responsibility with those who forced the hands of the Inquisition. With some fortune, they may foster this hatred into purpose, and further rule their own fate by coming to the Emperor’s service.

Yet ultimately, it was I who set these events into motion, with a single blow from my hammer, God Splitter.

-Gabriel Angelos, of the Blood Ravens 4th Company

That's actually a very interesting question, which deserves more attention than the "Are the Gods real?" waffle.

If it were modern times, I'd go with Galawain, since a generation of industrious strong-willed individuals could really change a country for the better, whereas a population boom might cause other problems in the long-run. On the other hand, in older times with undeveloped medical technology (like Pillars), since few children survived to adulthood and you needed more "bodies" for physical labour and the army, I think Dyrwood desperately needs the extra population.

Hylea, at the time, struck me as the "right" answer, because its the most direct way to reverse the damage, prove the curse is over, and help the families who looked after their hollowborn children... but I suppose it could also lead to some pretty messed up situations.

Expansion doesn't expand on that. But I'm MEGA CURIOUS about what will happen in Deadfire if you support her. Since she's known to "break the rules" when helping her favorites, I'd like a nice big reward for selling my soul(s) to the devil.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

I think this thread deserves to be revived. Finished the game today, and I suspect many will be soon to get that pre-POEII run in.

I was going to promise to Hylea. I was torn between her and Berath, but I liked the concept of Hylea as a god a lot.

But then I forgot, and said **** it and jumped into the pit without any of the gods' boon. I thought it was more poetic that way.

And then Wael appeared, and any indecisiveness vanished. I really like the concept of Wael as well—a god of both knowledge and secrets—so I was biased in that regard. But all-in-all I liked the option, because instead of condemning all the souls to destruction or putting back to the Wheel, you just kind of release them and let the universe take its course. 

• 2 weeks later...

Back in Gilded Vale, it's possible to meet Calisca's sister who's pregnant. Of course you can only tell her, that her sister, she's been waiting for, is dead - even the medicine you can get her won't help. It's just a placebo. I liked Calisca, she seemed to be a cool person, in the short duration the Watcher knew her. So this is what sold Hylea's option to me. By making this choice, Calisca's sister would have a regular kid. And that made me feel good about everything. I mean she's probably going to think that this worthless placebo did the trick after all, but hey - you can't have everything. ;)

• Like 3

Back in Gilded Vale, it's possible to meet Calisca's sister who's pregnant. Of course you can only tell her, that her sister, she's been waiting for, is dead - even the medicine you can get her won't help. It's just a placebo. I liked Calisca, she seemed to be a cool person, in the short duration the Watcher knew her. So this is what sold Hylea's option to me. By making this choice, Calisca's sister would have a regular kid. And that made me feel good about everything. I mean she's probably going to think that this worthless placebo did the trick after all, but hey - you can't have everything. ;)

What if she went into labour in Act IV?

What if the baby was Hollowborn?

What if Calisca's sister was so miserable that she killed her soulless baby moments before you pick Hylea's ending?

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

After communication with all the Gods possible I became fond of Hylea.

I hope there will be a mod to roll a Hylea priest.

Hylea priest will be very good with Chanter, for she is a patron of arts and especially fond of singing.

What if she went into labour in Act IV?

What if Calisca's sister was so miserable that she killed her soulless baby moments before you pick Hylea's ending?

Aovjm.gif

• Like 1

So what? The Hylea ending specifically states that the souls return to the bodies of the hollowborn they were intended for. So even if she already delivered the baby, then it's no longer hollowborn now.