Shacknews interviews Feargus U. who "hints" at a possible BIG Patch 1.05. KS Backers get early entry to the 2 expansions.

Wonderfull to hear, that they allready plan for 1.05 :).

1) PoE was succesfull enough to invest more manpower + money

2) Obsidian plans to patch more frequently then once every 6 month ;).

What I would like to know now is, if Obsidian plan to make use of old save games or if they plan to start from sero for the expansion? Will we be able to import our hero?

I know, it's to early to say what will be :). But how do they plan it to be?

PS: And as I'm no Backer ... what's the planed sell price for the expansion? Do I have to pay for each part of one expansion or just once for both parts together?

Edited by Schakar

Here's my wishlist for a big patch :)

• Improve the party's pathfinding issues (character often don't move around a character to attack an enemy) and make them walk around already detected traps.
  • Don't level up the party members automatically to the player characters level when recruiting them. Please let the players decide themselves how to develope their party members. If needed, just add an "automatic level up" button to the level up screen.
  • Add choosable different AI types for the characters like in the infinity engine games.
  • I'd also 1+ every keep improvements - It's great to have a keep in this game, but I don't feel I can do anything with it. ;)

I think the wording there is quite confusing. I'm assuming (maybe wrongfully?) that he means that kickstarter backers who backed the expansion will receive both parts, not that everyone who backed the kickstarter proper will receive it?

Otherwise, it would seem I wasted 20 bucks on the expansion?

Wording is confusing. There are two points here:

1) Do all KS backers get the expansions for frree, or does Feargus mean the people who already paid $20 up front for the expansion? I would have to assume the latter, but in that case, it's stupid of him to say it this way. 

2) Do KS backers get the expansion "early" as a beta, or does Feargus mean dividing expansion into two parts means everyone gets it 'early'? I assume the latter, but again, it's silly to say it like that. 

Wonderfull to hear, that they allready plan for 1.05 :).

1) PoE was succesfull enough to invest more manpower + money

2) Obsidian plans to patch more frequently then once every 6 month ;).

What I would like to know now is, if Obsidian plan to make use of old save games or if they plan to start from sero for the expansion? Will we be able to import our hero?

I know, it's to early to say what will be :). But how do they plan it to be?

PS: And as I'm no Backer ... what's the planed sell price for the expansion? Do I have to pay for each part of one expansion or just once for both parts together?

If I recall correctly, the backing price was 20 bucks. Pretty high for an expansion *but* if it's gonna be really loaded with content then it will obviously be worth it.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Yeah.

My wishlist:

• Stronger resistances and, perhaps, immunities. How do you blind or knock down an ooze, anyway? -- This would make encounters a lot more varied as we'd need to vary tactics a lot more. As it is, anything that Blinds or Prones is way too universally useful.
  • XP rebalance so it's not so easy to over-level.
  • Enchantable hats. And a haberdashery where we can buy them. And outfits. And a properly tintable Vailian outfit. And a pony.
  • Truly unique items like <<that one item>> and <<that other item>> should be way more powerful. Powerful enough that you might want to build a character just to use them. Think Crom Faeyr, not Flame Blade +2.
  • Is it me, or are bows kind of meh right now?
Also very keen to hear more about the expansion.

Bows are OK on Rogues that can sneak attack with them and possibly on fighters that can get weapon specialization on bows. Bows attack fast and don't have reload time

WTF. The option to purchase the expansion is now gone! Oh come on!

I didn't buy it before because I didn't have money. Now that I do, it's gone. :(

I'm sure you can preorder it soon...

I know. But I just got this feeling that it's not gonna be $20 anymore. 

Yeah.

My wishlist:

• Stronger resistances and, perhaps, immunities. How do you blind or knock down an ooze, anyway? -- This would make encounters a lot more varied as we'd need to vary tactics a lot more. As it is, anything that Blinds or Prones is way too universally useful.
  • XP rebalance so it's not so easy to over-level.
  • Enchantable hats. And a haberdashery where we can buy them. And outfits. And a properly tintable Vailian outfit. And a pony.
  • Truly unique items like <<that one item>> and <<that other item>> should be way more powerful. Powerful enough that you might want to build a character just to use them. Think Crom Faeyr, not Flame Blade +2.
  • Is it me, or are bows kind of meh right now?

Also very keen to hear more about the expansion.

Oh ****, I actually forgot to raise the Immunities issue in my thread. God. Damn. It.

Well, I guess I have something to do tomorrow, now.

t50aJUd.jpg

The entire issue around experience strikes me as forum groupthink.  There is one set of things - bounties - with very high experience rewards.  Leave those aside and there is no issue with experience, period.  The people complaining about experience would not be satisfied - at all - if it was changed; they'd just move seamlessly to yet another complaint that the game is easy mode.

And it's extremely selfish for vets to demand changes to the base game (easy / normal / hard) that will have a really negative impact on inexperience players.  These players *need* to be over-leveled to complete content.  And. more to the point, there is a dedicated difficult level (PoTD) where it's completely reasonable to ask for different rules, such as reduced experience rewards.  But they absolutely should not be part of the base game.

If you want some statistics, if you go to the Steam stats 2.2% of all players have won the game.  0.1% of all players have won the game on PoTD.  We don't have an easy vs normal vs hard breakdown, but I'd wager that a large majority of the wins are easy / normal.  The people who think that the game is too easy are a small minority of the users.  Now, they deserve their game too - which is what PoTD is for.  But they absolutely should not be dictating what the game rules are like for the average player.

• Like 1

If you want some statistics, if you go to the Steam stats 2.2% of all players have won the game.  0.1% of all players have won the game on PoTD.  We don't have an easy vs normal vs hard breakdown, but I'd wager that a large majority of the wins are easy / normal.  The people who think that the game is too easy are a small minority of the users.  Now, they deserve their game too - which is what PoTD is for.  But they absolutely should not be dictating what the game rules are like for the average player.

Thread title is "hard mode is too easy", i want hardest settings to be buffed only.

I'm fine to normal\easy mode being easy, i won't complain if they will made those modes even easier.

I think easy mode should be played with just left clicking on enemy while PoD should be almost impossible to beat, that's not the situation actually.

Edit: sorry, i'm so dumb, i thought it was the "hard mode too easy" topic, apologize for that.

Edited by Mazisky
  • Like 1

Stronghold event list: change the "ORDER BY" to "DESC", please. Recent events? Up! Up! Up!

The expansion thing, I would not mind they giving it away for free to all the backers but some of us paid for it. And while I'm extremely happy wit the product (in a reasonable way) and sharing the joys of the expansion with KS backers would be nice, money was paid. I'd not be butthurt but I'm not everybody else...

I'm pretty sure Feargus only meant backers with the respective tier/add-on. Just think a bit for yourself, guys. It's pretty obvious that NOT EVERY backer will get the expansion for free because there was a dedicated tier/add-on for that very reason...

Edited by LordCrash
  • Like 1
35167v4.jpg

Translation: Kickstarter backers get the dubious honor of alpha and beta testing the game. They get to experience a buggy, unpolished, and frustrating version of the game before the general public. It'll still be awesome, though.

I used to envy those who got early access to the games that I liked, until I experienced one too many game-breaking bugs in the games I signed up to test. I get spoiled to the plot early but end up getting nowhere because of various bugs and glitches. It can also be really frustrating when the developer (*cough* Cryptic Studios/Perfect World *cough*) doesn't really give a damn about your testing feedback and is merely using early access to advertize the game and hook in addicts. Most people who sign up for the beta versions of upcoming Neverwinter Online expansions stopped bothering to report bugs and merely play the betas to find bugs to exploit for themselves because Cryptic/Perfect World doesn't give a fruit ninja.

Slightly off-topic: In fact, the best way to get a bug fixed in Neverwinter Online is to exploit it so much that Perfect World's revenue is affected. Those who've played since the beginning remember the Caturday Cat-Astrophe, where exploiters were able to generate unlimited money. The exploit was brought up to the dev's attention multiple times, and was actually present and patched in their other MMOs (like Star Trek Online), but they ignored it until the exploiters used the unlimited in game money (astral diamonds) to buy out all the real money (zen).

The KS promised the expansion (at certain levels). The decision to split the expansion in two is recent. It's nice that Feargus clarified that backers will get both parts. Not that I expected anything less.

Wizard spells go up to level 10, right?

Mine go to 11.

• Like 3

http://www.shacknews.com/article/89004/obsidian-ceo-discusses-pillars-of-eternity-its-early-success-and-its-first-expansion

Excerpt:

"Urquhart fully recognizes that even though the game is out there, there is still work to be done. That includes upcoming patches, with Urquhart noting that 1.05, in particular, set to introduce some quality of life improvements. This includes allowing players to change portraits, balance tweaks, and other adjustments based on player feedback."

My wishlist:

• Make the game harder (Act 2 & 3).
  • Balance the classes and weapon types
  • Less bugs
  • Stronghold buffs (e.g. resting bonuses, loading times, make it feel more alive, more quality of life improvements across the board)
  • Reduce XP gain (make getting level 12 an achievement)
  • Better AI. Harder encounters. Make it tactical. 
  • More higher level enemies (lv.12, hell make some level 13 monsters for ****s and giggles).
  • More Monk-specific glove items
  • Actually, re-balance the entire unique weapon/armor system. Make those enchantments on unique weapons/armor UNIQUE and super powerful like those seen in BG2. 
  • Rebalance the skills in the game. Make Survival, Stealth, and Lore more worth it. 

Half your list is just different ways to make the game harder.  I'm near the end and have reached level 12 and I get it to a degree.  The bounties in particular offer absurd amounts of xp when they really shouldn't since they already award the player with gold and often a unique item.  I also do think some enemies later on are undertuned (Adra Animats do literally no damage for instance), but if they go too far with it a lot of people will be unhappy.  I think some xp should be scaled back (bounties especially) and some enemies need buffs.  I hope they don't do more than that.

Also general weapon, armor, class balance would be great as long as they don't nerf a bunch of stuff.  I really dislike nerfs in single player games.

I agree, and difficulty tuning/number balancing is best left to modders, so people can choose for themselves how really difficult the game should be.  Eventually, one mod would shake it's way to the top and become the one "true" way to play.

As some have said in this tread Obsidian should focus on bugfixing and making new content and leave the balance and that stuff to modders, we'll take care of than once they give us more info about the files.

To quote a great man: Let obsidian lead with blade and boot, we will take care of the detalis.

As some have said in this tread Obsidian should focus on bugfixing and making new content and leave the balance and that stuff to modders, we'll take care of than once they give us more info about the files.

To quote a great man: Let obsidian lead with blade and boot, we will take care of the detalis.

Or they could do all three in this here digital age. 

Balance is more important than new content, cause adding content to an unbalanced game would be a global mess. 

Balance first, then content over a solid, balanced base.

Edited by Mazisky

"It's going to be one full story that will go from part one to part two, but it's going to be two parts and anyone from Kickstarter that contributed will get both parts. They'll get the full expansion, but the best part is that they'll be able to play it early."

My question has been answered. I'm very, very happy.

The templating of the language used in game is still very sloppy and many abilities are not fully described. OF Might +1 should just be Might +1. Item abilities, like second chance, need tool tips. Many abilities lack durations, exact bonuses, or exact area of effect descriptions. There are many mechanics that are not described in the instructions or the in game pedia. An example is the area of effect graphic. I couldn't find where it says that the yellow portion is enemy only, or that it is influenced by intelligence. The interchangeable use of percentages and decimals is sloppy. Basically, everything needs to be cleaned up and described with a consistent format. The exact interrupt mechanics aren't described anywhere. I think interrupting blows still doesn't work. Damage per focus point is not listed anywhere.  Damage per wound is not listed anywhere. There are many other instances.

The mechanics of any game system must be iron clad in function and description. I hope this gets addressed.

• Like 1

Also on my wishlist: blue circles for neutral NPCs.

Because srsly wtf

What's the problem with white circles?

White would be fine too, although I don't know why they'd do it - RGB is just so natural.

Green circles, however, should be party-member only.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.