Confused by damage. My hits generally 4-10, people report 40+

I feel like I'm missing something vitally important in this game.

My chanter generally hits for 3-10 damage depending on enemy DT, however I see people regularly talk about how they hit for 40+ vs basically everything.

Am I missing something vital in my gameplay?

Are they including all buffs in those numbers?

Are they "abusing" Estocs/Maces/Stilettos; as they seem to be the only really viable weapons due to their DT penetration?

Build // abilities // buffs play a huge role .. Can't expect a "decoy" (very hard to hit, very durable - hits like a wet noodle ) to do the same amount of damage as its polar opposite the "glass cannon" - dies if enemies sneeze in its general direction but hits like 5 trucks loaded with TNT ...

Chief amount equipment - weapon used - some weapons do low damage per hit but - attack with high speed ( think woodpecker ) other weapons do high damage per hit but attack once in a blue moon ...

Edited by peddroelm

WPNTVf7.jpg

Thanks guys, I think after reading a lot of posts, it can be easy to forget that people are talking about their glass-cannon DPS builds of level 9+. It seems sometimes that people mean their tanks are always doing that kind of damage. (Though there seem to be a few OP builds that can tank AND do that kind of damage.)

Not necessarily.

You dont need a glass Cannon on level 9 to do a, lot more Damage, just use the "right" weapons and Buffs (say level 3 Rogue with Arbalest and fitting alents) to go above 20 on average.

Just dont expect tanks using Hatchets to do it. ^^

well 40+ isn't that much, if you consider buffs etc. Lets say you have 20might, +3 from item, +X from spell -> already lots of damage with a 2-h weapon. Several talents add a multiplier to melee damage (Weapon Specialization, Weapon Style, Modals), also the fine/exceptional/superb qualities on weapons.

Top melee weapon is 25 ish base damage outside elemental enchants though so you'll need +60% damage bonus to do 40 vs 0 DR and most enemies have at least 10 later on, in which case you'll need +100%. Not that easy for a lot of classes to come by. Ranged usually shows bigger numbers with the arbalest/firearms.

Estoc is stupid good, yes.

the funny thing is, while we were planning to go the adventurer weapons focus route on our rouge build so that we would get the estoc and poleaxe, actual gameplay were making it clear to us that the way we were playing our party, giving our rogue a pike were typical the actual best weapon.  reach weapons, for Gromnir, were outweighing the dr bypass o' the estoc. is particularly useful to have a reach weapon in those all too frequent doorway battles.  have a weapon that does incredible damage is useless if you is too far away to hit enemies with it.  

dunno, other than morningstars, we see the 2h weapons as balanced enough.  sure, we don't doubt that somebody will come up with a spreadsheet that shows that over the course o' an entire game, X weapon is clearly the best, but at the moment, we see balance o' usefulness for all 2h weapons, which is a good thing.

on the other hand, ranged weapons...

*shrug*

proviso: we were only at level 6 before we gave up on the rogue until the reckless assault bug gets fixed. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Top melee weapon is 25 ish base damage outside elemental enchants though so you'll need +60% damage bonus to do 40 vs 0 DR and most enemies have at least 10 later on, in which case you'll need +100%. Not that easy for a lot of classes to come by. Ranged usually shows bigger numbers with the arbalest/firearms.

well, you can choose several ways to ignore DR: Rending -3, general modal -5, wizard:expose vulnerabilities -5, weapon like estoc -3 (1h)/-5 (2h). Other spellcasters might also have anti-DR-spells...

My level 5 barbarian uses a Fine pike with fire enchantment and has 18 might as well as frenzy, Savage Attack, and Two-Handed specialization. I usually do 40+. My barbarian is the highest damage in the party having done 18,000 damage so far of the course of the game where my tanks do something like 1,500-2,500 damage. Wizard is 12,000 Damage, Cipher is 15,000.

20 might Cipher does pretty high damage with arbalest as well. To be expected I guess.

Edited by ShadowTiger

my level 10 cipher hits for about 120 per shot (6x20) with Lead Spitter (21 Might, Soul Whip, Biting Whip, Penetrating Shot) on targets with 12 DR or less (because of 12 DR reduce), assuming all 6 projectiles are hits with no misses, grazes or crits.

Dulcanale and Pliambo per Casitàs also hit fairly hard, but Lead Spitter is through the roof as long as the target doesn't have super high DR.

Edited by cdd

It all depends on the build. Just knowing a "damage number" tells you nothing. A huge slow weapon will do massive damage, but your DPS might not be great because it is so slow anyway, and a blunderbuss will absolutely decimate a target with very low DR (rare) but it might turn almost useless against a tough foe.

In general though I wouldn't expect a chanter to do massive damage, even with a fairly offensive build. A chanter is a buffer and off-tank, not really a damage-dealer. For that sort of thing you want rouges, ciphers (if you include spells), rangers or even barbarians - and comparing the damage numbers that sneak-attacking rouge with a 2-hander might produce to a chanter with a shield or dual-wirlding, well... it's neither a fair comparison nor a very useful one.

-Stigma

If it helps you, right now on my PotD playthrough my tank usually hits for 0.6 to 0.8 damage (if he even lands a hit) and my off-tank for 0.4 to 0.6 :D

If you want to see the big numbers, you just need to crank Might all the way up to 18/19/20, equip an arbaleste/arquebes/pistol and maybe add some +damage talents. And there you go, body-exploding hits wherever you look. Highest single target hit on my last playthrough was 180 on my rogue, doesn't mean you can't go the slow-and-steady route and constantly dwindle away your enemie's hp, just isn't as much splatter

ok, i just did some math: with my current 21 might my exeptional enchanted Lead Spitter does 10-14 damage per projectile, so 12 average and has -7 DR baseline. noteworthy passive/modal (always on) modifiers that are soul whip (x1.2), biting whip (x1.2), <any> Lash (x1.25) and Penetrating Shot (-5 DR).

This means that one (6 hit) Lead Spitter shot causes 6 projectiles a 12*1.2*1.2*1.25 = 21,6 which the game rounds up to 22 each --> 6*22 = 132 damage. Against a 15 DR target the damage would still be 132-6*(15-12) = 114. In these DR ranges no other gun can compete.

So unless you are playing on potd difficulty where DRs are generally higher, i'd wager Lead Spitter (with Penetrating Shot!) will be the best weapon in 95% or more of all fights you come across

Edited by cdd

• 3 weeks later...

I rolled a new rogue recently and was very regularly seeing him hit enemies for 40+ at level 1 using The Disappointer. But that was pretty much always on the opening shot of combat, taking advantage of Sneak Attack and the 1.25x damage boost from Crippling Strike, and of course he was very slow and fairly inaccurate while doing it.

I rolled a new rogue recently and was very regularly seeing him hit enemies for 40+ at level 1 using The Disappointer. But that was pretty much always on the opening shot of combat, taking advantage of Sneak Attack and the 1.25x damage boost from Crippling Strike, and of course he was very slow and fairly inaccurate while doing it.

Always fun and easy to enchant with accurate or damage too.  Heck, I even got Hoedelen (?) the NPC rogue on an opening shot with a crossbow to deal 31 one time.

Even a tank can do some damage with the right weapon, I usually give Eder the Resolution saber, on my current playthrough his best normal crit with it is 51 and most of his normal hits are in the 10-20 range.  He doesn't crit to much though since he's using a large shield and it's a PotD run.  Pretty much any 2 hander will crit in the 30-40 range quite often, a cipher with an arbalest will hit in the 50+ range all the time, rogues too.  Later in the game you'll have higher quality weapons which helps quite a bit.

Edited by Climhazzard

Eder can focus on dual wielding and say go sabres and stay in his starting armor the entire game. He just needs a +3 Dex item and usually a Dex resting bonus. Plus there is enough might, per and res items as well.

Defender and Wary Defender is all he needs and dual weapon talent basically cancels out the only negative from defender. Then the -16% armor penalty. +10 deflection item. And you really dont have to worry about him but he can put some offense out still.

To give you some idea this the damage of my party in my second play though at the end of Act II, all just reached level 9:

Capture.jpg

I think the highest single hit on my first play through was 150 from an arbalest sneak attack.

Cool info.

Did the ranger use swift or vicious?

Want high damage per hit?

1) Be a rogue.

2) Have high accuracy.

3) Use talents/items/enchantments that increase the crit multiplier.

4) Dual-wield sabres.

5) Profit:  WFHeIjU.png

With Arquebus you'll get even higher numbers, but the total DPS will be lower because it's so slow. Also, melee rogue are much cooler than ranged rogues. ;)

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell