Loading times! This is becoming the single biggest hindrance to enjoyment of game.

I have no idea what a normal savegame size is, btw. Is 4,213 kilobytes normal?

That's about what I've got at present in Twin Elms.

Yeah I just opened up Twin Elms recently then went and did some side quests. But since you and I are both having this loading issue, I still don't know if that's a normal size. :)

At present I'm looking at about 90s to load up my game initially, 30s to transition areas, and 45s to load my quicksave in game.  Here are my saves (the last one's experiencing some quest-related problems, incidentally, so I don't know if that'll affect anything you're looking into): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw56i-bKiIvXeXdBbEpuWk03UmM/view?usp=sharing

Having to load a new area walking in and out of a store or random house is pretty ridiculous.

Maybe it´s just me, but loading in everything and npc´s takes a bit of time, but then again, can it be optimized? For sure, but they should rather fix other things, loading time is no problem in MY opinion.

@sparklecat i have a rather outdated pc, it takes my save about 15-30max to load...thats a good point maybe there is some problem with the saves.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Maybe it´s just me, but loading in everything and npc´s takes a bit of time, but then again, can it be optimized? For sure, but they should rather fix other things, loading time is no problem in MY opinion.

I don't agree with you. They've already fixed all of the critical bugs in the last patch. For me, this is by far the most annoying problem with the game remaining and it seems to be getting worse and worse the further I go.

• Like 1

I don't agree with you. They've already fixed all of the critical bugs in the last patch. For me, this is by far the most annoying problem with the game remaining and it seems to be getting worse and worse the further I go.

You don´t have to :D They did fix a lot, if this turns out to be another one, as it seems considering the amount of people reporting problems (which i not have had) i´m sure they will address them too. The further you are in? That reminds me of the mess with Dragon Age Origins saves, lots of "dead data".....anyway i´m not saying your problems are invalid, i was refering to normal loading times, if thats out of the norm the longer the games takes, then this sounds like a problem. Definitely something they should and probably will take a look at it. :)

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Ahhh....

Some people have massive amount of saves files...

THAT could be a problem like is was in NWN2 and other games...

Move all your save files but 1-2 out of the save directory to somewhere else safe... and see if load times improve.

I tried moving most of my files elsewhere, and it apparently regenerated them from some other location, since I had 5 minutes of the main menu spinning while it loaded up my games and then they were all still there.

Steam can sync save files and reupload them to you for certain games, it may be how they came back for you.

I have no idea what a normal savegame size is, btw. Is 4,213 kilobytes normal?

6.5 here in Twin Elms... of course my savegames suffer from bloat of heavy summoning and improper cleaning of said summons ;)

EDIT:

Also, for people wanting Baldur's Gate II loading times... you got it. And in 10 years you can laugh too as they pass in a nano-second. They sure as hell didn't do so in 2000.

Edited by Hassat Hunter
  • Like 2

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Hey guys, sorry for being dumb, but where exactly are the saves located? I have a steam install and I looked in 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data

and also My Documents

and couldn't find them

Also, for people wanting Baldur's Gate II loading times... you got it. And in 10 years you can laugh too as they pass in a nano-second. They sure as hell didn't do so in 2000.

You didn't have to wait to walk into a store, inn, or private home either. The reason those load times were so long was because they loaded the entire map all at once. That PoE can't seem to do this baffles me.

• Like 1

You didn't have to wait to walk into a store, inn, or private home either. The reason those load times were so long was because they loaded the entire map all at once. That PoE can't seem to do this baffles me.

True, lots of awesome features that where in BG series are inexistent here, so sad.

BG1EE and BG2EE have almost non existant load times. Bg1 and BG2 were long because it was done in a bad way. Beamdog folkes fixed it. Edited by archangel979

Nah, they didn't do much, it's just cause it's a 15-year old game.

@ Jackjack; Seems the infinite stash (from what I can tell, might be wrong) needs to be transfered along to each individual module, which may account for it being required. More food for it being a bad idea, but it seems it's much too late for that now.

Of course if they can find a way to seperate that that would be great for me.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

@ Jackjack; Seems the infinite stash (from what I can tell, might be wrong) needs to be transfered along to each individual module, which may account for it being required. More food for it being a bad idea, but it seems it's much too late for that now.

If you play original BG on modern computer, it still takes a while to load. If you play EE, you don't see the loading screen it's so fast.

A better solution would be to keep the stash as a separate file next to the save file. Yes, this opens up for easy duplication/cheating, but honestly, who gives a ****? You want to cheat, you're going to iroll20s anyway.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

A better solution would be to keep the stash as a separate file next to the save file. Yes, this opens up for easy duplication/cheating, but honestly, who gives a ****? You want to cheat, you're going to iroll20s anyway.

Who gives a **** if somebody cheats in a single-player game? Not me, that's for sure. I'll say this much: I'll take 21 second load times over BG-style encumbrance management any day.

Do you have a SSD?

It doesn't matter. The files are are 1-5MB so even with an HDD it should be fast (and it is for some people). I have an SSD and for me it is a constant 15-20 seconds regardless of the size of the area. The 1.04 patch notes include "Optimized Save/Load game system for better performance." Hopefully this will fix it.

• Like 1

sorry to hear it with the load times. I don't have that issue though. Maybe 5 seconds tops between loading. I do have a good computer I have recently built. Was these loading times always present from the first time you guys played? Also, why make the post here? there is a better section in the forums to try to address bugs and game play issues. Sharing your specs help too seeing its something with your computers that's running PoE to lead such undesirable results.

Hey guys, sorry for being dumb, but where exactly are the saves located? I have a steam install and I looked in 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data

and also My Documents

and couldn't find them

C:\Users\USERNAME\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity