Loading times! This is becoming the single biggest hindrance to enjoyment of game.

A little over a year ago I sprung for 2x Samsung 840 Pro SSD drives (raid 0).  

The load times on those are comparable  to running a game from a ramdisk -- not quite as good, though.

Maybe people with long load times without an SSD should try a ramdisk (would only need ~13gig free) and see how that helps?

Also, I have a vbs script that can pre-load a game (current folder + all subfolders, recursively) to cache it in ram, but it would still require enough ram to have used a ramdisk in the first place (but, it may be more convenient and the performance is close):

MsgBox("Press OK and wait for completion popup to let you know when it's done.")
dim inStream, atimer, elapsed, WshShell, strCurDir, folderName
Set inStream = WScript.CreateObject("ADODB.Stream")
inStream.Open
inStream.type = 1
set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
folderName = WshShell.CurrentDirectory
Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set originalFolder = fso.GetFolder(folderName)
Set fileList = originalFolder.Files
atimer = Timer
For Each objFile In fileList
  inStream.LoadFromFile objFile
Next
WorkOnSubfolders(originalFolder)
inStream.Close
elapsed = Timer - atimer 
MsgBox("Done pre-caching everything in " & folderName & ". This Took: " & elapsed & " seconds.")

Sub WorkOnSubfolders(currentFolder)
  Set subfolderList = currentFolder.SubFolders
For Each subFolder In subfolderList
    Set fileList = subFolder.Files    
For Each filename In fileList      
      inStream.LoadFromFile filename
    Next
WorkOnSubfolders(subFolder)
  Next
End Sub

Edited by Daemonjax

Did any of the people having these issues try a SSD?

They have been on the market now since 2007, they are less than $0.50 per gigabyte and over 50x faster, they last lifetimes in comparison to mechanical HDDs. Just saying

They have been on the market now since 2007, they are less than $0.50 per gigabyte and over 50x faster, they last lifetimes in comparison to mechanical HDDs. Just saying

I have a SSD. Still having these issues. It's not the hardware.

• Like 1

I have a SSD. Still having these issues. It's not the hardware.

My SSD performance is relatively crappy unless I put windows into high performance mode in power management. ymmv

I have batch files set up for gaming, using command lines to change power profiles before/after the game runs :

Turns high performance on: powercfg -setactive 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

Turns power save on........: powercfg -setactive a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a

... but I think those above hash keys would be different for each system.  I forgot how I got them for my machine, but I believe some google searching would lead to the answer.

You can just use control panel, though.  ;)  That would be too inconvenient for me, though.

My machine is overclocked to the moon and I notice a huge difference in performance in all things when using the high performance profile.  The performance difference may be more drastic than you'd expect.

EDIT: see https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748940%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Edited by Daemonjax

I don't have batch files set up, but Windows is very much set to high performance mode. My computer isn't very awesome in a lot of ways, but the HDD and RAM are perfectly modern and fine. I've also experienced the loading times increasing as I get farther into the game.

It's something on the games end. I don't know what.

I don't have batch files set up, but Windows is very much set to high performance mode. My computer isn't very awesome in a lot of ways, but the HDD and RAM are perfectly modern and fine. I've also experienced the loading times increasing as I get farther into the game.

It's something on the games end. I don't know what.

What if you have your party travel back to one of the earlier areas, like guilded vale, saved, and then loaded that?  

Does it make a difference in load times where the party is saved when you load it?

My savegame files do get progressively larger over time, but not ridiculously so.

Edited by Daemonjax

When I first start up the game and load, it takes about 45 seconds.

Loading between areas is less than 15 seconds.

Not that bad, but for a game like this, the load times should be quicker. I have this installed on an SSD and my computer is pretty good.

When I first start up the game and load, it takes about 45 seconds.

Loading between areas is less than 15 seconds.

Not that bad, but for a game like this, the load times should be quicker. I have this installed on an SSD and my computer is pretty good.

First load for me is ~6 seconds, and reloading the same save is ~4 seconds.

Dunno.

My system stats (grabbed them from one of my posts while beta testing elite dangerous):

CPU: 3570k @ 4.4Ghz GPU: ATI 7970 1125/1540 +26% PT / 14.12 cats LCD: Acer S242HL 1920x1080@60hz MEM: 16GB PC3 19200 MB: Asus P8Z77-V LK HD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (2x RAID 0) Sound: Asus Xonar DS (Uni Xonar 1.75a; 97ns DPC ingame) OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 PSU: Corsair RM750

Edited by Daemonjax

I registered on the forums here specifically to see if others had reported this issue.

My load times are ~8-10 seconds. I'm using an SSD with plenty of extra space. The load time for reading the save game folders when the game first starts up is also quite long, something like 30+ seconds.

I suspect it's not a disk issue: My largest save game is only 2.6MB. That's almost trivial to read for modern drives. The issue is more likely in the engine loading the information and then having to set up everything for game play (screen, characters, HUD, etc.).

In either case, it's certainly something that needs to be fixed. I only have 24 save game files of total 35MB, for pity's sake. It should not take 30 seconds for the game to load them up, nor for loading between scenes to take the 8-10 second range.

How can anyone in their right mind try to ship a multimillion dollar product without making absolutely sure that they don't upset all their players with a degree in Medieval English Linguistics?

Yeah I also have the load time issues, it takes a while, but they bother me far less than quicksave, which is anything but. My PC has an i5-4460 3.2GHz, Asus R9 270, 8GB RAM, 120 SSD, running Linux Mint.

Not high end, but certainly not sluggish, and there has been a dramatic dropoff in performance specifically when loading/safing PoE areas. It's not about hardware.

Then again, complaining about 10-12 sec load times as a major problem makes me think you should practice having your immersion broken by reading a novel in public or something. If you really think these load times are an issue that makes the game significantly less enjoyable, I suggest you take up Dzogchen meditation, or perhaps Stoicism. When I was a kid (like five years ago) we had our immersion broken constantly, and we liked it!

Edited by evensong
  • Like 1

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -Marcus Aurelius

If nobody has volunteered by tomorrow I'll happily donate my files, if you promise not to laugh at the fact that I'm barely halfway through act two. (Am in bed and too lazy to get to my PC.)

Edited by evensong

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -Marcus Aurelius

Does anyone here having this issue (and is on the latest version of the game [1.03]) mind posting save games for us to look into?

How many do you want?  I've got 72 running back to when I started the game.

eta: eh, I'll just zip them all up; uploading to an external site now, will post a link when it's done

Edited by sparklecat
  • Like 1

I'm only 20 hours in and already the loading times are becoming unbearable.

Have you installed the latest patch? It fixes some of the issues causing increased loading times.

Latest patch only fixed really bugged loading times caused by certain ability and summoning spells.

I agree with op, that loadings are too long. And looking at save structure and some content in it it's clear that saves are unoptimized. Just entering an individual area and immidiately leaving will make some 2meg of data of that area.