Computer Freezes UP:-(

rockmono

Question

After playing the game for short periods of time (5-20 minutes) my computer freezes up completely and all I can do is manually shut my PC off.  (Control-alt-dlt or windows button does not work)

I tried the cmd line MSAA 0 option.

I tried changing POE file to run as ADMIN in Steam Folder

Specs: Brand new Lenovo Erazer 315 running WIN 8.1  

Processor:  AMD A8-7600 Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G 3.10 GHz

RAM: 12 GB

System Type: 64-bit Operating System, x64 - based processor

not able to attach log issues or run DXdiag when issue happens becasue PC completely freezes up

• Like 2

Most likely your graphics card overheat. Try to reduce your settings and disable v-sync. Also monitor your temperature by logging it to a file. Then you can see what's the higher temperature it reaches before it crash. Try MSI afterburner.

Edited by Archaven
  • Like 1

Most likely your graphics card overheat. Try to reduce your settings and disable v-sync. Also monitor your temperature by logging it to a file. Then you can see what's the higher temperature it reaches before it crash. Try MSI afterburner.

All graphics settings minimum, v-sync off, GPU rockets up to 85C then creeps higher til it shuts down

no issues with other games, just this one.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX570 with standard settings

I ran MSI afterburner and logged: 1st cpu went to 125.6 F when computer locked up.

I had vsync turned off and set everything to lowest in video settings...

dxDIAG info in earlier post with PC/ video card info...

Here is the output log and another dxDiag from the last time my PC froze up.  GPU temp was at 133 F

This issue is driving me crazy.  I do not understand how the computer I have can not handle this game???  As I stated earlier, I am using a brand new PC with what I think are respectable hardware specs that are definitely within the system requirements for the game???  How do I forward this to Obsidian tech support???

output_log.txt

DxDiag2 - POE.txt

Edit: wait, why did I think you were using a nivida card? I swear I saw that. Must have been another post. All this post-approving gets me mixed up at times. :lol:

Is the GPU driver up to date? I've recently had odd experiences with discovering some older nvidia drivers causing my 590 to run hotter than it maybe should during oddball times (like web browsing...). Although that 133C (I assume you meant C, not F) is extreme.

Anyway...sounds like a puzzler. I'd guess it's some kind of driver conflict issue.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Thank you for the reply...

My Video Card is a:     AMD R9 255 2GB

I did update all drivers.  The temperature was in Fahrenheit - 133 F is about 56 degrees C.  Not sure if that is running too hot

While the game is not playing and I am typing this response the temp is holding at 90 degrees F

The temperature was in Fahrenheit - 133 F is about 56 degrees C.  Not sure if that is running too hot

While the game is not playing and I am typing this response the temp is holding at 90 degrees F

Ah, ok. If that's the case, I'd say it's not GPU overheating in your case then. 56C for a GPU is nothing these days. My 6-fan-only cooled system runs at 65C-75C endlessly while gaming, that's just "normal" in most cases. And if your CPU temp is also actually in F, then that's not a high CPU temp either. So I'm not sure what's going on with the freezing, sounds different than the OP's.

...I guess it's the topic creator ( Vayhle ) who had the nvidia 500 series GPU and higher GPU temps (although 85C is still not extreme/not a reason for lockup itself, usually but I guess it's getting higher too?). I knew I saw that somewhere. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Edit: wait, why did I think you were using a nivida card? I swear I saw that. Must have been another post. All this post-approving gets me mixed up at times. :lol:

Is the GPU driver up to date? I've recently had odd experiences with discovering some older nvidia drivers causing my 590 to run hotter than it maybe should during oddball times (like web browsing...). Although that 133C (I assume you meant C, not F) is extreme.

Anyway...sounds like a puzzler. I'd guess it's some kind of driver conflict issue.

I posted a similar issue to the OP, mine is nvidia. All drivers up to date, same symptoms. another thread has multiple users with same problem.

...not able to attach log issues or run DXdiag when issue happens becasue PC completely freezes up

This may be a long shot, but try checking the Event Viewer (Start/Control Panel/System and Security/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer) system and application logs to see if anything unusual was reported just before lockup.

Another option is to try disabling any security software like anti-virus scanners or firewalls (disconnect from the Internet first and do not reconnect until the security software is re-enabled) and then re-running PoE.

Thank you for the ideas AstralWanderer.

I disabled anti-virus and disconnected from internet and still had system freeze problem while playing the game for under 10 minutes.  I also checked the event logs you mentioned and did not see anything unusual.

This is crazy as I have a bunch of other games in steam that work fine.  This is the only game that I experience this problem with...

Rockmono,

Sorry to hear that didn't work. One final thing to try is to start your PC in Safe Mode (see here on how to do this) and try running PoE from there. It probably won't work (since your graphics drivers shouldn't be loaded) but if it does and manages to keep running without a freeze, then it would suggest a conflict with other software (or drivers) that normally load during Windows startup.

Edit: just had another thought. Try muting sound (or better yet, disable your sound card in Device Manager) just in case the problem is a sound driver issue.

Edited by AstralWanderer

For everyone information, MSI afterburner i'm only using it as a diagnostic tool. When playing games, do not enable or run any 3rd party overlay/monitoring software as it will be very likely to increase your GPU processing power and leads more to crashes. Turn off steam overlay, FRAPS, raptr, AMD gaming evolve, or even Nvidia geforce experience. Uninstall them. DO NOT overclock your CPU, GPU or RAM and only blame yourself if you did that and not sure what you are doing.

Think about it. If hundred thousands of people having not much problem but yours are having crashes it most likely means there are problems with your PC. Not necessarily it could be graphics card. It could be your RAM, your CPU,  power usage or even hard disk. When running the game, check task manager on CPU usage and Memory usage. Diagnose your RAM with memory diagnosis tool to ensure your RAM are not partially faulty. Also sometimes it could be due to corrupted installation files. Try downloading and reinstalling latest drivers for your motherboard, sound and graphics driver. Sound may also causes crashes due to various manufacturers of motherboards and sound devices on their drivers.

I have help many users before and mostly they choose to blame on developers when they could not find out the root cause of their problem.  Only once you help solved their problems they go only with a thanks and stop blaming developers. This is human nature who chooses to blame? Anyway it would be developers fault when at least 50% of the worldwide gamers are having issues.

Edit

Also latest drivers may not seem to work well on older hardwares, sometimes. So you may have to try and find out which driver work best for you. Also, most of the times crashes are due to Windows. Believe me Windows are not stable. After some fair usage of Windows, if you don't maintained them it will crash, slow and performance will be worst than the first time you install it. If all fails, try reinstalling Windows it may help.

Edited by Archaven

Archaven,

I appreciate all of the info you provided and will work to try to isolate the issue by ruling out all of the hardware/driver/software possibilities you listed.  This is the only game that I have seen a GPU temp spike while playing the game prior to system freeze.

That being said, I will tell you that this game is the first program/game  that I installed on a brand new computer that I purchased from Lenovo.  My PC specs/dxDiag info is listed in earlier posts.   The day the computer arrived, I installed Steam and purchased POE.  After experiencing the freeze issue, I did download a few other games from my steam library and they all work fine.

It is of course possible that I purchased a lemon, but wouldn't that impact other games and programs as well???  Either way I will continue to try and trouble shoot.  

AstralWanderer,

I did disable sound card in device manager and my PC still froze up (although I was able to play for a little bit longer.  I have not had a chance to try and play in safe mode yet...  Thank you for the suggestions:-)  

Sorry to hear disabling the sound card didn't help. However since you mention your PC being a new Lenovo, it would be well worth removing the bundled adware that has been giving them such a bad name (Lenovo offer a special uninstaller for SuperFish here).

PCDecrapifier might be worth checking out - unwanted bundled software might not be responsible for your system freezing, but it's probably not helping either.

Hi, I used to have the same problem. I have every driver up to date, the game's patch and reduce the amount of third parties software (in a low spec computer) but 5 - 10 minutes in game, my CPU freezes.

The solution I found: Disconnect from the internet then launch the game and play. Not a single crash since then.

(Don't try to reconnect if the game is working, is an almost insta-crush, at least for me)

Thank you for the additional suggestions AstralWanderer and Bear.  I used the the tool to remove the bundled software and I have tried running the game disconnected from the internet, with anti-virus disabled, and all sound card items disabled.  I have also checked on all of my drivers for the most recent updates.  

I have an older video card that I may try to swap into PC to see if that makes any difference...

Thank you for the additional suggestions AstralWanderer and Bear.  I used the the tool to remove the bundled software and I have tried running the game disconnected from the internet, with anti-virus disabled, and all sound card items disabled.  I have also checked on all of my drivers for the most recent updates.  

I have an older video card that I may try to swap into PC to see if that makes any difference...

I installed a tool called "MSI Afterburner" with "RivaTuner Statistics Server" from http://gaming.msi.com/features/afterburner, tracked PillarsOfEternity.exe in RivaTuner, and was able to determine it was running at upwards of 1000fps on my computer. Assuming this was the cause of overheating, i used RivaTuner to max my framerate at 60 (just to test), and the GPU stopped overheating.

At a guess, there is an optimistic setting in the game engine that is causing extremely unnecessary use of graphics card power. I was able to cap it and stop the overheating problem on my machine. I'll verify this weekend that the game is playable long term with this set.

• Like 1

Bump having same problem as op. Have tried everything that I can think of ontop of suggested fixes in thread. Game is completely unplayable.

Graphic, motherboard, misc drivers up to date. Run game as administrator. Disconnect my internet, close all background applications. Uninstalled and reinstalled game. I have no clue. System handles everything else fine. I'm able to play mmorpgs and more demanding games then this perfectly fine.

Absolutely baffled at this point.

A short update. I wondered why I did get instabile issues?

Well in my subjective case for some reason my computer did not like FRAPS enabled with Pillars of Eternity.

Well I did this two things not saing it will fix your issues, but it did solve mine:
A. Disable FRAPS and never run FRAPS with this game.
B. I am using free version of Zonealarm firewall and in that I set the Pillars of Eternity as trusted, but not supertrusted.

Third thing that could be your issue. I have laptop with Nvidia 1050 Ti 4GB DDR5. My particular graphic card is known to be gentle and not having overheating issues.

If the case would be overheating in your case check google what are ok temperatures then maybe better cooling system i.e hardware cooling system might solve your issue. Please note don't go shopping some expensive cooling system and then blame me if that does not help! I am not sure what is causing your issues.

If you are curious about my hardware, what I am using:

This is my performance/price gaming laptop:
Acer Aspire VX5-591G 15.6" GAMING LAPTOP (black)
15.6 inch screen easy to carry into airplane even if you move to another country.
CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ
That is Kaby Lake newest of Intel consumer market CPUS.
This particular Kaby Lake is 4 cores and 3,5GHz in TURBO MODE.

Graphic card: Nvidia GTX 1050Ti, 4 GB DDR5

Source:
http://www.pcworld.c...ns.html?page=10
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 and GTX 1050 Ti review: The new budget gaming champions
www.pcworld.com
Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1050 and GTX 1050 Ti are the best graphics cards for budget gamers and people looking to upgrade a prebuilt "big box" PC.

"
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 and GTX 1050 Ti review: The new budget gaming champions
Bottom line

Nvidia truly knocked it out of the park with the GeForce GTX 1050 and GTX 1050 Ti. Not only are these graphics cards a worthy successor (and worthwhile upgrade) for the legendary GTX 750 Ti, Nvidia’s cards are notably cooler, notably more power-efficient, and notably more powerful than AMD’s Radeon RX 460. "

Memory: 8 GB DDR4 RAM

1 TB HDD
What no SSD? Does not affect gaming, but Windows boots/starts slower.

Operating system: Windows 10. I do have separately a 24 inch gaming monitor with 1 ms response time and Flicker-free , TUV Low Blue Light technology.

Edited by Terminator