Bug: Enemies not attacking

flyingsaucers

Question

Went to Searing Falls today and had a go at Cail; he put up a hell of a fight the first time, but after I reloaded for a second round, he stopped dealing damage about half-way through the fight. Discharged his flame attacks a few times and then just stopped. Most of his entourage was dead at this point but I don't think they were doing any damage either (xaurip dmg barely registers anyway). Their healers were still going strong.

Then I exited the cave after killing him and cleared the rest of the map, and none of the mobs did any damage. They engaged, but did not attack. 

21 answers to this question

I'm having the same problem. It extends to the entire game, because I went back to Defiance Bay after that, and there thugs didn't attack either. Even weirder: I reloaded a game from Searing falls before I entered that cave - start of the map - and mobs that attacked before, now did nothing. A reload from before I entered Searing Falls seamed to work at first, but when I entered that cave again the bug also appeared again. 

Same thing here with the adra dragon. She attacked me the first time. Of course I died soon, so I had to reload. Now she's just standing around, making her fear aura and turning her head in my direction, sometimes walking towards me. Reload does not fix it. Sometimes after a reload she attacks me, but suddenly stops. The other enemies in that area are fighting properly, even if I attack the adra dragon, they are coming to help.

---

We're all doomed

Just had this happen to me during the Adra dragon fight. No amount of reloading the game fixed it. Enemies just stand around doing nothing. Even if I venture to other places than the endless dungeons.

*edit*

Restarting the game fixed it (at least for now).

Edited by Jinxtah

Hello this is happened to me too.   I have version 2.03 installed with the white march.

I see the posts here are from july! what's the final answer?

To me it started happening when I faced that boss in od caua level 9.  Now after loading any savegame the issue persists. Enemies never attack and my characters attack only if I click the attack button in the pane

Also when the bug started it was not all my party nor all the enemy:  first it was only my main character would not attack nor get attacked, healing effects would heal enemies and party members (as if all were allied) 

Please dont tell me I have to start all over....................... It's my second restart since my old harddrive burned!

Hi there. The same happend to me today. I am on Steam, WM1 installed. I think It began in Russetwood when I came into conflict with the vampirestyle guys in the west. A lot of confusion and domination and anti spells where cast, and in the end the main char was no longer attacked by the enemy.

Wierd stuff happend later like that when I attacked an enemy, I had to press the A button to make a char attack a hostile, even when the cursor 

was in sword form. If not pressed, the char would just run to the location I clicked, getting a beating, obviously.

Now a char doesn't get a beating when doing that, because the hostiles are no longer that. I am now in Flames-That-Whisper lower caverns, and the 

local Lagufaeth are not attacking.

I can make them attack by attacking them, but still I have to press A at all times for my chars to attack instead of move to the location of the click. (both in ranged and melee mode )

Reloading, restarting and Steams file integrity check did not work for me. I Did not try to load an earlier save, but actually my time is limited and I do not want restart from there.  An ideas whether something can be done on my side?

Thanks in Advance

This seems/ed (had it in pre 2.03) to be happening upon playing the game for quite a while without reloads. Seems there's some variables not being flushed :)

Hi, does this imply deleting temporary data somewhere or reinstalling the game will work?

BTW. I was wrong about being able to provoking hostiles into hostile action. The hostiles will follow my chars but they will only cast

eldritch aim. My main char is a Cipher, and interestringly his ectopsychic echo will not harm the hostiles... Hitting them

with weapons will, though. The FF-Detection seems to be broken since that charming/domination fest I had in Russetwood.

Edited by mytimeisprecioustoo

Hey mytimeisprecioustoo,

Could you please upload a save file and an output log via dropbox/drive/mediafire/etc so I can take a look? If verifying your files and reinstalling didnt fix the issue, then there must be something going on with your save. Are you using any mods by any chance or use the console command for cheats? 

Thanks a bunch!

Hi Arik,

Could you please upload a save file and an output log via dropbox/drive/mediafire/etc so I can take a look?

If verifying your files and reinstalling didnt fix the issue, then there must be something going on with your save. Are you using any mods by any chance or use the console command for cheats? 

Thanks a bunch!

Please find some file at this location https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwYjZo_M4AkSUWZHd2xSM1RMMW8&usp=sharing

-I added the last good save (GOOD.*) and my broken Quicksave (BAD.*).

-I added the output_log from the time I read your post to the folder, deleted it

-started the game anew, loading the quicksave and attacked the friendly hostiles. Then copied that outputlogfile as well

-I threw in the dxdiag as well.

Recap of the issue:

It began either during (I think so) or shortly after an altercation between me and the group of vampires in the west of Russetwood. Some 

charmelike spells (they) and counterspells (first a spell from a scrolland then by the priest )  were used.

The counterspell from the scroll was actually the first spell cast in this encounter, since the previous go they wiped my party off the map easily using charmtype spells, so I adopted my tactics.

I remember that my main (cipher) suddenly needed the attack key to be pressed to attack at some point during that encounter.

The next encounters I noticed some unusual behaviour as well, but it was late and I can't say for sure what happend during those one or two 

fights, but the hostiles behaved at least more or less as they are supposed to do (I think...).

Then I went down to flame-that-whispers lower level, and here clearly the Friend or Foe detection does no longer work. I can roam freely between the hostiles. Cipher spells with effects on foes only do not work on hostiles. Hostiles seem (after I hurt them) to know something is wrong (the music changes to dramatic mode as well ), casting buffs, but do not attack. 

Thanks a lot

cheers, jens

Hey mytimeisprecioustoo,

Could you please upload a save file and an output log via dropbox/drive/mediafire/etc so I can take a look? If verifying your files and reinstalling didnt fix the issue, then there must be something going on with your save. Are you using any mods by any chance or use the console command for cheats? 

Thanks a bunch!

Hi again, I forgot about your question re mod/cheats: no and no. Only modlike thing is the white march. I bought it after I already started but did not start a new game. cheers, Jens

Hey Jens,

I have added a bug into our database with your files included. On your good save, were you ever able to reproduce the problem?

Thanks!

Hi Aarik,

today I bit the bullet and restartet from my good save, went straight to the fampyres. It took several attempts to win the fight, I think

at no time the effect was reproducable, or at least not that I recognized it.

I will now proceed and let you know if anything changes.

One thing I rememberd from when the bug struck: my main char was still confused/charmed when the fight was over, I remeber wondering about the status icon still being there. It might have been suppressed by some other effect, at least I know the char was not hostile despite the effect being active according to the icon. 

cheers, jens

I am having a combat related possible BUG that may or may not be related to the bug discussed here. Playing on PC steam version all updates and patches V 3.03.1047 White March 1&2.  I have noticed that shortly after picking up Havias the druid in my party when I start a fight with monsters that periodically one of them will turn from red to green for a couple of seconds and wander off breaking the combat.  This is actually rather annoying and slows things down quite a bit.  I was thinking that Maybe Havias under AI control is charming the monsters but he is far away and I believe that is a short range ability.  I do not seem to have other items or effects which charm/dominate so I don't know why this happening.  The affected monster goes green for about 2-3 seconds then turn red and re-initiates the combat sequence all over again. Any idea what may be happening?  I checked the install integrity of all of my files, reloaded, rebooted, nothing helps.