Will the GOG version of PoE auto-update?

Thanks, Night Stalker.  Hopefully Obsidian releases a patch that will include an auto-updater.  I do dislike having to manually apply patches in today's world.  I am not sure how GoG hosting contract is written up, but it would be very nice if the game was self updating.  I just heard about the update today and fired up the game, but I didn't see a notification about an update and figured the game wasn't self-updating, though I wanted to double check in case I was doing something wrong.  Thanks again.

It's not something Obsidian has any control over. GOG has to approve the update, which means it'll be somewhat slower to reach the consumers.. And unless GOG makes an auto updater themselves you won't see one, which I highly doubt they will because then it's effectively Steam and they are pretty anti-drm.

Fortune favors the bald.

The game isn't connected to the internet, it can't autoupdate on its own unless Obsidian adds an online component and you can bet people would be angry about it. Some of us actually like our games totally offline. The Steam version is for people who like autoupdates.

It's not something Obsidian has any control over. GOG has to approve the update, which means it'll be somewhat slower to reach the consumers.. And unless GOG makes an auto updater themselves you won't see one, which I highly doubt they will because then it's effectively Steam and they are pretty anti-drm.

Actually, GOG is developing its Galaxy client which works similarly to Steam in the game management department, including autoupdates, but is still completely optional, so if you prefer to download files manually, you'll be able to. Edited by Rosveen
  • Like 3

What does auto-updater have to do with DRM?

For some anti-DRM people any kind of conection to internet forced by game (and auto-updater is forcing such conection) is DRM-like device.

• Like 1

"Go where the others have gone, to the tenebrous limit

for the golden fleece of void, your ultimate prize

go upright among those who are on their knees

among those turning their backs on and those fallen to dust"

Zbigniew Herbert, Message of Mr. Cogito

For some anti-DRM people any kind of conection to internet forced by game (and auto-updater is forcing such conection) is DRM-like device.

Ah, got it. Thanks!

Galaxy is the devil. Just like Steam.

You can call Galaxy buggy, unfinished, unsmart and so on. But Devil or Steam-like?! No way! 

You don´t need it to run games, you can use it to run games---if you don´t see a difference in there, I cannot help you!