I was going to post this under general but I'm not sure if it'd qualify as 'spoiler' so this seemed the next most appropriate place.

I haven't felt quite this disappointed by a drawn out fabled weapon quest since the Equalizer. Perhaps it's just me but all that work and choice seems rather ruined by the fact the weapon isn't that impressive and you don't even get to choose what kind of weapon you get. You get a spear.

You get to potentially end a species, sacrifice a part of your own soul and the result is... an above average weapon you're likely not proficient with?

Am I the only one who feels cheated here?

Edited by Elizabeth Sterling
  • Like 1

Why would you get to choose which kind of weapon you'll get? Its a legendary spear.....so you get a spear. It doesn't have to be extraordinary, may be the guy who wielded it was extraordinary........

Its really stupid that you get your say what type of legendary weapon it was when the legend happened hundreds of years before you.

Edited by Brimsurfer
  • Sad 1

Why would you get to choose which kind of weapon you'll get? Its a legendary spear.....so you get a spear. It doesn't have to be extraordinary, may be the guy who wielded it was extraordinary........

Its really stupid that you get your say what type of legendary weapon it was when the legend happened hundreds of years before you.

Except that it's supposedly made legendary by a portion of your essence, not anyone else's. You define what makes the weapon powerful but if you didn't build a character around using spears you're out of luck. Even then it's not an amazing weapon and considering you flirted with genocide and sacrificed a piece of your immortal soul for it you'd think that'd merit something but as it stands it's at best a small piece of extra income and at worst going to make for a few frightening games of lawn darts at the stronghold.

Edited by Elizabeth Sterling
  • Like 4

Lol, it's a spear? I was wondering. I'm a benevolent creature, I let that egg go (which was kinda sad, all that fun buildup for a quest I never completed). Now I'm glad I made that choice because nobody in my team uses spears.

Both Sagani and Hiravius tend to come with Weapon Focus: Peasant. They can use a spear. Also, Weapon Focus: Peasant is a good fit for Eder as far as flavor is concerned.

Speaking of feeling cheated, I spared the vithrack without realizing he held the key to the enchantment. It was consistent with my earlier behavior. Oh well, double axes for Sagani and two staves + Savage Attack for Hiravius.

Edited by b0rsuk

WF: Peasant isn't bad for an aggressive tank, to be honest. If you a spear in one weapon slot and a hatchet in the other, you'll have an accuracy or deflection bonus based on what you need at the time.

And you can always look up which questions give which properties on the wiki and do the forging again.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Except that it's supposedly made legendary by a portion of your essence, not anyone else's. You define what makes the weapon powerful but if you didn't build a character around using spears you're out of luck. Even then it's not an amazing weapon and considering you flirted with genocide and sacrificed a piece of your immortal soul for it you'd think that'd merit something but as it stands it's at best a small piece of extra income and at worst going to make for a few frightening games of lawn darts at the stronghold.

I'm not sure that I'd say that the weapon is made "legendary" by a portion of your PC's essence.  "Powerful" seems like a more appropriate word here.  The weapon might become legendary in the future when your character has become a legend.  The weapon may become legendary depending on the deeds one does with it.

Still, I could see having a choice of weapon here, as long as one thinks of it as powerful, but not yet legendary.

• 11 months later...

Resurrect... bcz NEW!

with the new content post 3.0, you can create an exact duplicate of the spear you enchanted here using the helwax mold (just did it).  the duplicate will carry any other enchantments you added on to it as well.

so, for a rogue, that would mean say... 2 legendary vicious spears that can stun on crits.

and since rogues crit a lot... and there are a great many things that can trigger the "vicious" condition (stun being one of them; it's a sneak attack), you  can nearly stun lock enemies with a constant +150% to damage (2 x vicious, 2 x legendary).   I just tested this in combat, btw... and it works.  each weapon can crit for stun, and it's nearly guaranteed on a high level rogue will will crit at least once per round so... stun lock.  Or you could give them to your barbarian to stun crowds.

the ONLY downside I can see is that they only do piercing damage, but you'd have that problem with rapiers, stilettos, etc. anyway.

Edited by Ichthyic
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Duplicating Godansthunyr might be the better option - because you'll have double stun, longer interrups, two damage types and +2 MIG which stack with all other MIG buffs.

Besides that, duplicating a fully enchanted weapon with speed might be the best option overall. Or Little Savior. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Resurrect... bcz NEW!

with the new content post 3.0, you can create an exact duplicate of the spear you enchanted here using the helwax mold (just did it).  the duplicate will carry any other enchantments you added on to it as well.

so, for a rogue, that would mean say... 2 legendary vicious spears that can stun on crits.

and since rogues crit a lot... and there are a great many things that can trigger the "vicious" condition (stun being one of them; it's a sneak attack), you probably  can nearly stun lock enemies with a constant +150% to damage (2 x vicious, 2 x legendary).   Or you could give them to your barbarian to stun crowds.

the ONLY downside I can see is that they only do piercing damage, but you'd have that problem with rapiers, stilettos, etc. anyway.

Nice find

Duplicating Godansthunyr might be the better option - because you'll have double stun, longer interrups, two damage types and +2 MIG which stack with all other MIG buffs.

Besides that, duplicating a fully enchanted weapon with speed might be the best option overall. Or Little Savior. ;)

2 might does not give you +40% damage, so that is not nearly as good as vicious, plus the spears have +5 accuracy, giving you more chance at crits.  the only advantage to the warhammer is the dual damage types.  spear still wins for damage most times though.

granted the warhammer looks WAY cooler though. :)

...just some actual numbers:

level 13 rogue is doing average ~120 damage per round (>2 attacks per second) plus complete stunlock on single target, just with normal attacks (so long as I keep target flanked... which is hardly difficult).  target tested was troll.

I at least figure this shows that cladhaliath is indeed worth the effort to get now.

Edited by Ichthyic

It is great now that weapon stun is now a real stun instead of a big interrupt.

Dual wield a Barbarian with two stunning vicious cladhaliath durgan spears, threatening presence and brute force and you're  a crit machine with total stun lock on anything near you. The stun gets you +30 to hit which makes it likely your next attack will also crit and continue forever.  

Ah, wow, I didn't know they had changed weapon stun to a real stun now. That should skyrocket all stun-on-crit weapons to top tier.

No reason to use a prone on crit if a stun on crit is available. Prone is more likely to have immunity and only gets you -10 to deflection while stun gets you -30 deflection.

Starcaller and Cladhaliath just got a huge boost as did Mabec's and Godanstunyr.  The fast attack speed of the Starcaller flail makes it really easy to chain stun something now. Someone with a halfway decent Intellect can probably chain stun with a graze. Dual wielding Starcaller(stun on crit) and Unforgiven (speed), both with Durgan and a Frenzy gets you 2.31 which is enough for zero recovery with durgan chain mail, add in Vulnerable Attack and you are good at Durgan hide.

Yeah, I think my new 'best' weapon sets will change to a speed+stun set up. Starcaller+Unforgiven's one as you just said, and other two front liners will roll with Danulya+Cladhaliath and Strike Hard+Godanstunyr. Get that zero recovery for the massive dps increase, and not having a ton of armor won't matter, as everything will just get stunlocked to death, easy peasy. Will need a priest for WM2, as the defense get in the 120's there, but once one stun gets, the rest will come easy.

Additionally, 3.0 lets most of these weapons get Superb+Lash, which before made us choose between a stunning weapon or a more optimized damage one. Best of both worlds now.

It is great now that weapon stun is now a real stun instead of a big interrupt.

Dual wield a Barbarian with two stunning vicious cladhaliath durgan spears, threatening presence and brute force and you're  a crit machine with total stun lock on anything near you. The stun gets you +30 to hit which makes it likely your next attack will also crit and continue forever.

Hmm, iirc the crit itself didn't guarantee that the target will be stunned, because an additional check vs fortitude was rolled.

Btw, I remember that the proc from 'stunning' property was affecting enemies who had Immunity: Stunning. Is that still the case? 

P.S. There is one more interesting thing related to that property. It was noticed to apply to spells. (link to reddit)

Edited by MaxQuest

cant wait till act 3 , probably will enter it earlier ( before upscale ) scale it with console just so i can get this spear and dupe it with mold , current playtrough im running 3 dual wielders - Mc Rogue , Bleak Walker Paladin , Skaen Priest , also a fighter tank who can be turned into one if needed , already have double rimecutters , time to get the spears for another OP weapon set

• 6 years later...
On 4/8/2015 at 4:23 AM, Elizabeth Sterling said:

I was going to post this under general but I'm not sure if it'd qualify as 'spoiler' so this seemed the next most appropriate place.

I haven't felt quite this disappointed by a drawn out fabled weapon quest since the Equalizer. Perhaps it's just me but all that work and choice seems rather ruined by the fact the weapon isn't that impressive and you don't even get to choose what kind of weapon you get. You get a spear.

You get to potentially end a species, sacrifice a part of your own soul and the result is... an above average weapon you're likely not proficient with?

Am I the only one who feels cheated here?

I have to agree with the disappointment! Even at an objective look, the weapon is terrible in itself. It only gets more disgustingly terrible with its backstory - there's a whole dungeon centered around it, the developer commentary itself says it's a "custom made weapon by your choices" and you sacrifice a piece of your own soul to empower this weapon. I was expecting something like Sarevok's special Deathbringer Assault, which has a chance to instantly deal 200 damage (effectively killing the enemy), or +4 to two or more attributes.

You may think this sound too much, but I say it again - there's a whole Engwithan dungeon centered around a weapon that you're supposed to custom craft with your choices, that already bears the souls of several warriors from generations before and requires a piece of your own Awakened soul. I don't mind it being a spear, because with a powerful enough weapon, you can just throw 1000 copper pieces at your character and rebuild your character around the weapon. But what we get is something that is easily outdone even by early vendors, like the shipwrecked Amaua at Anslög's Compass!

It's hard to say how disappointed I was without being repetitive and saying it over and over again. 😩