Should discussion about The Poem be ... censored?

Should mods start nuking posts about THAT issue?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Should posts about The Poem be nuked?

• Yes, its over now, and its ruining discussion on the forum
    • No. Fight the good fight. This is worthy of months of discussion yet!
    • Create a dedicated thread for them to duke it out until they are exhausted

I agree, it's a cool avatar, though I think that instead of more hatchet I think he needs to be holding a scalpel or have surgical equipment in the background.  Though I suppose hatchets can count as surgical equipment thinking of it.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I agree, it's a cool avatar, though I think that instead of more hatchet I think he needs to be holding a scalpel or have surgical equipment in the background.  Though I suppose hatchets can count as surgical equipment thinking of it.

Mm, I suppose not everyone is familiar with how Trotsky kicked it.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I would like to take this opportunity to announce that I have purchased a new pair of glasses.

Somebody pointed out "huh, they look just like Lev Trotsky's." 

I swear on my mother's name that that was not intentional.

MTE5NTU2MzE2MzkwMDAwMTM5.jpg

He reminds me of KFC. Now I want chicken!

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Mm, I suppose not everyone is familiar with how Trotsky kicked it.

I did not know that.  Trotsky was pretty badass, "I may have an axe stuck in my head but I'm still going to give orders and make decisions!"

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

He also put together an army in a matter of months and then proceeded to kick the asses of veteran generals of half the western world with it. Even the Brits and Americans who were no slouches at fighting. That's about as badass as it gets in my book.

Edit: Whee, page 30!

Edited by PrimeJunta

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

He also put together an army in a matter of months and then proceeded to kick the asses of veteran generals of half the western world with it. Even the Brits and Americans who were no slouches at fighting. That's about as badass as it gets in my book.

Edit: Whee, page 30!

Hmm, I think I may need to correct my lack of knowledge of this guy, didn't realise there was so much more than I realised on him...

Yeah, over here most of what we get taught on him is pretty much summed up as "The other guy that Stalin beat in order to become leader".  Never really looked into as person in himself.

What was the point of assassinating Trotsky anyways? Just to be a jerk? Stalin already beat him, there's no reason I can see to kill him.

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

It was Stalin's view that, as long as Trotsky was alive, he and his supporters could still arrange a coup. And he did have supporters, in Russia and elsewhere.

Whether that fear was grounded is hard to say. Stalin may have been mad, but he was by no means a fool.

It was Stalin's view that, as long as Trotsky was alive, he and his supporters could still arrange a coup. And he did have supporters, in Russia and elsewhere.

Whether that fear was grounded is hard to say. Stalin may have been mad, but he was by no means a fool.

I would've just tried to govern really well to prove my worthiness. Oh well, I guess I just wouldn't be fit for soviet politics.

Edited by Namutree

I would've just tried to govern really well to prove my worthiness. Oh well, I guess I just wouldn't be fit for soviet politics.

or any politics I would say ;)

• Like 3

Yeah Stalin liked to play it safe. He assassinated or executed pretty much everyone who was anyone among the Bolshevik old guard. I do not believe he was mad, or psychopathic, let alone a fool, just extremely driven and extremely ruthless. 

And it's still possible he got himself offed by Beria, eventually. Dangerous occupation.

Edit: I've little doubt that Trotsky would have been all to happy to engineer a coup, given half a chance. I also think the likelihood of him pulling it off from Mexico were about a fuzzball's in a cyclotron.

Edited by PrimeJunta

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

He assassinated or executed pretty much everyone who was anyone among the Bolshevik old guard.

Or who criticized Lysenkoism.

... unless they were a nuclear physicist. What was it Feynman said, again? Something about how, "for a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled."

I'm gunning for final post. Let this one be the last! No one else post anything!

I've heard relatively credible claims that he had a shortlist of people he should not under any circumstances accidentally execute. 

Don't know if it's true. He did occasionally overdo it; he had precious few competent generals left in 1939 for example, which had some... undesirable effects.

@Namutree neener neener

Wonder how far it can go beyond 500 posts before someone notices.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

They'll probably let us keep going if we keep talking about Communism.

Quick, uh ... gotta think of something, gotta think of something ... ah! New York's TWU Local 100 was formed by an alliance between the Communist Party and the Irish Revolutionary Army.

We need another burst of activity. Let's see if we can make it happen:

anita sarkeesian gamergate feminist frequency sjw's feminazis libertards free speech censorship it's actually about ethics in game journalism racism trigger warning america twitter tumblr harassment

or any politics I would say ;)

Yeah, unfortunately running things well does not equate to staying in power, because the other guy will still turn things against you.  I think the question isn't why did Stalin want to kill him but rather why did he exile him instead of killing him, I lack the knowledge to say why though I can make guesses, such as the fear of martyring him by executing him publicly rather than quietly bumping him off in another country.

And oh look, now I'm last... :p

Edited by FlintlockJazz

We need another burst of activity. Let's see if we can make it happen:

anita sarkeesian gamergate feminist frequency sjw's feminazis libertards free speech censorship it's actually about ethics in game journalism racism trigger warning america twitter tumblr harassment

Oooh, oooh, I've got one.

• Like 1