Should discussion about The Poem be ... censored?

Should mods start nuking posts about THAT issue?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Should posts about The Poem be nuked?

• Yes, its over now, and its ruining discussion on the forum
    • No. Fight the good fight. This is worthy of months of discussion yet!
    • Create a dedicated thread for them to duke it out until they are exhausted

Calling me a homophobe for not agreeing with you also doesn't help your case.

But pointing out your repeated homophobic slurs and insults does. Go on, keep using homophobic slurs and insults, it's the fastest way for others who are lurking and reading to understand how much crap an already-maligned minority has to take.

But seriously, you need to stop it with the homophobic insults; it's no different than the misogyny that permeates when someone uses "you [verb] like a girl" as an insult.

• Like 2

Why was it removed? Because it certainly wasn't homophobic.

It was removed because it offended a trans woman who asked for it to be removed.

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

It was removed because it offended a trans woman who asked for it to be removed.

That's easily the dumbest reason to remove something.

"It made me butthurt."

"REMOVE IT!"

Not really, this is actually a valid reason for changes in many things in civil society  like politicians retracting comments or misplaced marketing campaigns that are considered offensive to certain groups

People say or do things, sometimes these things  are then criticized. Then there is an assessment of the issue and a change is made and sometimes an apology

This is the way the world works 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"It made me butthurt."

"REMOVE IT!"

Not really, this is actually a valid reason for changes in many things in civil society  like politicians retracting comments or misplaced marketing campaigns that are considered offensive to certain groups

People say or do things, sometimes these things  are then criticized. Then there is an assessment of the issue and a change is made and sometimes an apology

But but but... That's so reasonable. :o

"It made me butthurt."

"REMOVE IT!"

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is not how the world works. That's how politics works. In the real world, you will be hurt and offended. You either deal with it, or you cry to mommy and have mommy do something about it. You're a victim, and you teach others how to be victims. You should be teaching people how to deal with the real world. I'm under the impression that the internet, social media, and message boards is as real as your world gets. In which case, I can see how you'd think crying to someone to get what you want is the best course. You know who else does that? Babies.

Edited by FaustianEchoes
  • Like 1

"It made me butthurt."

"REMOVE IT!"

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is not how the world works. That's how politics works. In the real world, you will be hurt and offended. You either deal with it, or you cry to mommy and have mommy do something about it. You're a victim, and you teach others how to be victims. You should be teaching people how to deal with the real world.

Which country do you live in Faustian? I am interested because it may have something to do with your view " that things cannot be altered or retracted once they are done or said  " 

And this definitely doesn't just apply to politics but my point permeates all aspects of a democratic society

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"It made me butthurt."

"REMOVE IT!"

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is not how the world works. That's how politics works. In the real world, you will be hurt and offended. You either deal with it, or you cry to mommy and have mommy do something about it. You're a victim, and you teach others how to be victims. You should be teaching people how to deal with the real world.

Which country do you live in Faustian? I am interested because it may have something to do with your view " that things cannot be altered or retracted once they are done or said  " 

And this definitely doesn't just apply to politics but my point permeates all aspects of a democratic society

"Mommy he called me a name!"

"Well I'll call his mother and he'll be grounded!"

"Well that turned out well for me, I think I'll complain every time I don't like something instead of just standing up for myself and not being a baby."

"It made me butthurt."

"REMOVE IT!"

"Well that turned out well for me, I think I'll complain every time I don't like something instead of just standing up for myself and not being a baby."

Can you respond to my question, what country do you live in?

I want to understand the context to your views 

John Milton 

"It made me butthurt."

"REMOVE IT!"

Where do you think I'm from? Clearly you've already geographically stereotyped me.

Where do you think I'm from? Clearly you've already geographically stereotyped me.

No, the funny thing is I am not  really like you at all. I don't make assumptions about groups of people unless they actually say or do something that warrants criticism. So where you live doesn't  automatically determine your views

But if you tell me where you live I can guarantee you I can give you examples of where comments and concepts have been retracted or changed outside of politics. This leads towards your point earlier where you basically said  " only in politics and not in the real world do people change what they say or do " 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

[...] I don't make assumptions about groups of people [...]

Yes you do. Everyone does. All the time.

Just the fact that you are aware of it makes you even more likely to do it while conciously trying to avoid it. Not only is generalization an integral and necessary part of the psyche and basic instincts, but there's been studies that show that if you specifically tell people to avoid stereotyping, they stereotype harder.

So in your rainbow delusion, you're probably worse than most that doesn't care.

• Like 3

t50aJUd.jpg

I don't make assumptions about groups of people

Nonsense. Everybody does. The trick is (1) attempting to be aware of making those assumptions and (2) being able to set them aside when they're pointed out to you.

Human cognition is based on categorization and generalization. It's just the way we tick. It's how we deal with the resulting biases that count.

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

[...] I don't make assumptions about groups of people [...]

Yes you do. Everyone does. All the time.

Just the fact that you are aware of it makes you even more likely to do it while conciously trying to avoid it. Not only is generalization an integral and necessary part of the psyche and basic instincts, but there's been studies that show that if you specifically tell people to avoid stereotyping, they stereotype harder.

So in your rainbow delusion, you're probably worse than most that doesn't care.

Sure buts lets not over-analyze what I said and nitpick

I don't say things like " all Russians are homophobic " despite homophobic laws being passed in Russia  or I wouldn't say " all Americans are arrogant warmongers " despite America under Bush being very militant around foreign policy 

So maybe you can give me examples of where I have "been making assumptions about groups of people " ?

I respond directly to what people say or how they act 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Nonsense. Everybody does. The trick is (1) attempting to be aware of making those assumptions and (2) being able to set them aside when they're pointed out to you.

Human cognition is based on categorization and generalization. It's just the way we tick. It's how we deal with the resulting biases that count.

Once again give me examples of where I have made assumptions of groups of people ?

John Milton 

Once again give me examples of where I have made assumptions of groups of people ?

Your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired. Try reading it again. If you want I can help you.

Your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired. Try reading it again. If you want I can help you.

Please do, I clearly need help 

• Like 1

John Milton 

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is not how the world works. That's how politics works. In the real world, you will be hurt and offended. You either deal with it, or you cry to mommy and have mommy do something about it. You're a victim, and you teach others how to be victims. You should be teaching people how to deal with the real world. I'm under the impression that the internet, social media, and message boards is as real as your world gets. In which case, I can see how you'd think crying to someone to get what you want is the best course. You know who else does that? Babies.

You heard it here first! Politics aren't part of the real world!

I guess the homosexuals in Indiana have nothing to worry about then. :grin:

• Like 2

All "serious" and "deep" (or "derp": it's up to you) discussions aside, (free speech, censorship, heterophobia, god, God, free will, specism, whatever), the memory of Firedorn has been (forever) engraved in cybernetic-stone, at some dark corner of the internet.

"Late to the Party" Edit - in reply to the OP's poll, no, discussion should not be censored. It's not that big of an issue really, nor should it be made one.

Edited by jools1980

I’m selling these fine leather jackets.

Pick your battles.

It's not like a vital part of the game was removed. We're talking about something most of us would never have even seen were it not for the controversy.

Now if 'they' had attacked the game because Watchers are invading people's privacy and demanding change, then we'd have something to get upset about. But this? Not worth your time to get upset over, just like the guy who made poem didn't get upset about changing it.

Edited by Psychevore