Should discussion about The Poem be ... censored?

Should mods start nuking posts about THAT issue?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Should posts about The Poem be nuked?

• Yes, its over now, and its ruining discussion on the forum
    • No. Fight the good fight. This is worthy of months of discussion yet!
    • Create a dedicated thread for them to duke it out until they are exhausted

This is what dedicated threads are for.  If our mods can contain the cancer that is romance debate to one thread, this shouldn't be much harder.

Look at the 'likes' on this post. PrimeJunta is a simpering commie SJW. I'm a rugged, macho lover of freedom, rare steak and chainmail bikinis.

And guess what?

We both agree anameforobsidian.

• Like 4

sonsofgygax.JPG

The issue has not only been resolved, it has been resolved with the help of the original backer.

This is not a free speech issue. It is not a censorship issue. It never was. 

How is it not a free speech issue when you have a left-wing extremist group creating such a hostile climate that everyone is compelled to cater to their every whim. How's that for a balance of forces in society? 

PC is a mob rule. 

• Like 6

I was appalled by the revised one actually. First one didn't bother me so much but "death to all she-males!", really? A bit over the top imho, but it's their game. 

Umm .... really? You do realize that I just posted both poems so outright lying about the content doesn't really work ... right?

Joke fails if smiley is not included.. for some... 

Either that or you need to work on your delivery. :facepalm:

Should be one thread. Unless the posts are problematic, I don't see a reason for mods to nuke threads. It would be nice to have one thread rather than one in each forum.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Voted "dedicated thread." Not so much because I think this issue is special or something, but because all thematically similar threads should always be merged to keep conversation consolidated, rather than appealing to OP ego by allowing yet another thread which discusses a topic which actually began, and therefore belongs, elsewhere.

Ex: this one.

Edited by scrotiemcb

if i knew about it, i would go to that tweet and call the "offended" person who asked the poem to be changed a fascist, since he imposed his opinion on and stiffled another person's freedom of speech

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

PC is a mob rule. 

Yes. The ease of mob rule is one of the really unfortunate effects of the internet. Even a small mob can intimidate and terrorize people. I have no idea what to do about it and the only idea anybody has is to create opposition mobs which does little more than make things more terrifying.

• Like 1

A poem written in jest

was discussed with a great deal of zest

as the internet fought,

quite a few plainly thought

all the threads were a nuisance and pest.

• Like 1

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -Marcus Aurelius

A poem written in jest

was discussed with a great deal of zest

as the internet fought,

quite a few plainly thought

all the threads were a nuisance and pest.

Alas, this is a problem which ails

The whole Interwebs. From that which avails

There is ne'er a fight

Won with mental might;

Brute tenacity always prevails.

Edited by scrotiemcb

The issue has not only been resolved, it has been resolved with the help of the original backer.

This is not a free speech issue. It is not a censorship issue. It never was. 

How is it not a free speech issue when you have a left-wing extremist group creating such a hostile climate that everyone is compelled to cater to their every whim. How's that for a balance of forces in society? 

PC is a mob rule. 

http://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/28/?

That's why it isn't a free speech issue. No one's free speech has been violated.

The right to free speech does not give you the right to use another's platform for your speech. Obs are completely within their rights to edit any of the game's content at any time for any reason.

The insistence of the bigots that this has anything to do with free speech completely undermines their legitimacy (or it would, if they had any to begin with). A reasonable discussion could be had over how complaints of offensive content should be handled, but the bigots are demonstrably more interested in hurling insults.

The narrative you are trying to sell is ridiculous btw.

if i knew about it, i would go to that tweet and call the "offended" person who asked the poem to be changed a fascist, since he imposed his opinion on and stiffled another person's freedom of speech

How did Erika (who is a woman, so you should use female pronouns) impose her opinion and how is it different from how the bigots reacted?

Edited by Serdan
  • Like 3

I would go with "Let people create dedicated threads, but stop them from derailing other threads". 

I couls state the most obvious solution to your dilemma: if you're getting down because of this still being discussed on the forum then perhaps you should practice some self-restraint and ignore such posts/threads. But that can be rather hard to do when people start posting off-topic nonsense in other threads. 

Want to go to Reddit instead? Go right ahead, but be forwarned... Reddit communities tend to be rather effective at burying ideas that they do not like. So you might not be able to get as many different views on a given subject or even seen as much critiscm as you would on a forum. 

pic

But this fame is Obsidian's expression, not Firedorn's. It's their game, and there was definitely a filtering process for the backer texts in place before this whole hullaboo - like, it would be incredibly dumb of them to not have someone sort through them and bar the worst stuff. They would not, for example, have allowed openly racist messages, or encouragement to kill specific people in real life. You can be 100% sure they did not make the Backer pledge completely open, because that would be insanely dumb of them.

So Obsidian controls what they want to release into the world, and to a large degree, because theyre a commercial company, that's based on what their customers want. Even if you think that they caved to pressure quickly to avoid a major confrontation, as opposed to simply having accidentally let the limerick slip through in the first place, that's a cost/benefit analysis they made with regards to THEIR OWN speech, and you certainly can't force people to say things they don't want to say.

If Firedorn wants to run off and make his own RPG, he can put in as many dumb poems as he wants. Hell, you can make your own! And people would certainly be angry, but you wouldn't have to retract it if you didn't want to, there is no legal mechanism demanding that. The only pressure here is a predicted commercial one - and that is not sufficient to call something censorship, unless you also think it's unacceptable censorship to refrain from buying Nike shoes because of their child labour involvements.

Edited by evensong
  • Like 1

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -Marcus Aurelius

This is what dedicated threads are for.  If our mods can contain the cancer that is romance debate to one thread, this shouldn't be much harder.

Look at the 'likes' on this post. PrimeJunta is a simpering commie SJW. I'm a rugged, macho lover of freedom, rare steak and chainmail bikinis.

And guess what?

We both agree anameforobsidian.

To be fair, that's because vidya romance is cancer. And the fans are even worse.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

To be fair, that's because vidya romance is cancer. And the fans are even worse.

While I was playing PoE over the easter break, my flatmate was playing DA:I, he made a character that looked as much like himself as he could manage, then proceeded to try to sleep with all the female characters.